“Don't Bother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't Bother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2005

I am not sure where to start. Stay was for 3 night's in a run down suite. I think I will some it up with " SPEND YOUR TIME AND MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE"

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
Mountain View, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2005

I stayed at the Palms over the Thanksgiving week. I had high expectations as the hotel is listed in a hotel class of 4 out of 5 stars. It did not meet my expectations, the hotel/room/food/service were not on par with other 4 out of 5 star hotels I have stayed. The first request was hyper allegenic bedding. Seems I was the first to ever request as it sent the service staff in to confusion. After several hours, the result was to go with two blankets, remove the comforter, and get very large foam pillows. I ended up going to the mall to buy two pillows. The rooms are not that impressive. The bathroom is not impressive with a normal size small tub. It took three nights for the service staff to replace the light bulb that was out in the bathroom. The second issue was the contruction. There is a new hotel tower and and condo going up right outside. At 7:30am the jack hammers started and constant beeps from construction vehicles backing up. If you want to sleep late make sure you are not on the side of the construction. The third issue was the billing of the telephone system. I reserved on one of the travel sites that clearly stated all non-incidental charges and taxes were included in the prepayment. The Palms charges a mandatory incidental charge of $1.00 per day on the phone. Also, it is per day meaning if you stay 5 nights you are charged for 6 days. I would have ignored when considering, I was spending several thousand at the hotel for food, room, and gambling, but I brought it up since they had double charged me for my internet usage. The staff were very discourteous and pointed out that the fine print that you sign when you check in clearly stated the charge was mandatory. For food we tried the breakfast buffet, Budhua, and the restuarant at the top of the hotel. The breakfast buffet was good food and value. The buffet food tasted better than the food at their award winning restaurants. The view was good at the resturant at the top of the hotel. Go somewhere else for better food and service. In the casino, I played at the blackjack tables and did not see anything better or worse than the other casinos. Overall, for the price of the Palms you can get much better rooms, food, and service at other hotels.

• Stayed November 2005
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

We stayed at the Palms for part of our Thanksgiving week vacation because we found a good deal at hotels (about $60/night). We moved there from Treasure Island, which I would recommend more highly.

We arrived at about 1 PM and were allowed to check in without a problem. The room was very nice; nice bed, nice bath amenities, free magazines, very comfortable.

The casino was a lot of fun. I agree with people who have said that the slots are loose here. We didn't do a whole lot of gambling (just nickel slots at a few places) but we had the most fun playing at the Palms.

We also loved eating at their 24/7 cafe. Delicious food, reasonable prices, and friendly service. We had a delicious and huge Thanksgiving dinner there for about $12/apiece.

The problem with the Palms is that it is pretty far from the strip (a couple of miles--and a not very nice walk over the interstate) and a shuttle ran only about five times per day (every two hours from 10:30-6:30). The only reason I knew there was a shuttle at all was because of TripAdvisor reviews. I read in the previous review that there was a shuttle to Rio (a couple of blocks from the Palms) and maybe Rio has more frequent shuttles to the strip, but I would have never known about this because the Palms doesn't do a great job of communicating which services they have available. The staff doesn't tell you anything unless you ask, and I didn't see any of this information in the hotel service guide in the room. The staff was generally pretty nice; we dealt with a couple of fabulous people, but others were a little chilly.

Overall, though, we had a fine time and it is a very nice hotel. And the staff was happy to answer questions; you just need to know which questions to ask.

• Stayed November 2005
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2005

I was curious to stay at the Palms because of all the publicity it gets. However, I was pretty disapointed by the end of our trip.
First, we showed up around 3:30 pm to check-in and told to come back in an hour because there were no rooms ready yet. We decided to get an early dinner and went back to the front desk around 4:30pm. Still, no rooms were ready. After being asked to come back two more times, we were finally able to check into our room just after 7pm.
Second, there was no pool available. The Palms website and their television show advertise how great and inviting the pool is. Upon arrival, we were surprised to find out that the pool was "closed for the season." Not only was it closed, it was under construction!! We were told by the staff that we could walk up to the Rio and use their pool. We opted not to walk up to the Rio, too inconvenient. Then we found out the evening before we were scheduled to check out that there was a shuttle that went back and forth between the Palms and the Rio.
Rest of the stuff was small but all added up to a bad experience. Stuff like, bad service in one of the restaurants, mediocre food, and no hot water on one of the mornings.
While checking out, we asked for some kind of compensation but they refused. The front desk attendant urged us to send in a comment card and assured us that the owner reads every single one. I hope so. Our trip was six weeks ago and I have yet to hear from anyone who works for the Palms.

• Stayed October 2005
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2005

I stayed at the Palms on two occasions, for two bachelor parties, once in 2003 when it was still a relatively new kid on the block, and again in May 2004.

On both occasions we had reserved, in addition to several standard rooms, a Junior Suite. During our first visit the Junior Suite had included an entertaining area and an in-room stereo. The second time around, the room had shrunk in size and could barely be called a suite -- though the price had increased.

On Saturday afternoon, after our reservations for another club on the strip had fallen through, I spoke to the Palms' concierge about whether she could arrange admission for Palms' guests to either of the hotel's clubs. She was less than helpful, despite the thousands of dollars we were spending to stay at the Palms as guests, and our night would have been spent waiting behind a rope line were it not for a few well-placed bribes to Rain bouncers (such is Vegas).

The salient exception to this was our experience at The Nines steakhouse (located inside the hotel and casino), which had exceptional service and even worked with us to create a custom menu.

Though the Palms has a well-deserved reputation for being one the best places to party in Vegas, based on my last experience, it is better to visit, not to stay.

• Stayed May 2004
Ft Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2005

After three trips to Vegas I think I have found my favorite hotel. This service at this hotel is wonderful. After being treated like a second class citizen at many a hotel on the strip it was nice to have staff that truly cared about your stay. Some of the mega-hotels on Strip could care less about the awful room they put you in when you clearly paid for the suite - it's all about volume for them.

We arrived on an early flight around 1pm. Fortunately our room was ready. As Hurricane Wilma escapees we were quite pleased since we had come from a place with no power and water for 5 days. The staff was super accommodating. Not only did the bellman bring up our bags he seemed truly interested in our experience and suggested we call the belldesk if we had any questions about the hotel or things to do.

And the concierge desk was the highlight. Brandi was supremely helpful and patient in helping me make dinner reservations around town. She even had a great attitude when I would change my mind - a lot. She helped us find a laundry service so we could get some clean clothes!!! Can't say enough about the Concierge desk.

The crowd at the Palms is a little younger and I definitely felt more at home here. Especially after checking out the new Wynn hotel where the age range jumps about 40 years and the pretentious wanna-bes abound. Oh and the people with the home video cameras who just tape as they walk - weirdos.

The casino was fun. The Blackjack dealers were entertaining. The music being piped into the casino is current rock and not too loud. And $10 tables at night is a perk. At least I can choose to lose my shirt at a slower pace if I want.

The rooms are very nice and the bed is heavenly. The sheets, pillow top mattress and super soft down comforter just make you wanna sleep all day and party all night.

The hotel delivered on it's celebrity status too. We saw at least 3 Hollywood notables at dinner and the clubs.

All in all a great 20-30 something hotel with great people. My husband and I were a little sad to leave - expecially since I still don't have power. Thanks to WILMA!!!!!

• Stayed October 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2005

We stayed at the Palms in Oct. 2005, the staff was very, very accomodating & friendly. I highly recommend the rest. "Little Buddha", located in the Casino, the food was excellent and the rest. had an awesome decor. The bartenders mix you up some great drinks, that they recommend!! The hotel also has a food court for late night munchies or an inexpensive snack. The rooms were very, very clean & comfortable...although we weren't in it very much! No problems getting a cab for the 7 days we were there, no long wait lines. The place is full of beautiful people and has more of a younger crowd, it was a lot of fun. We will stay there again next year. The only bad thing,,,,,the pool was closed, due to renovations, bummer. Go see "Larry" at the sports book bar & have him make you a "Kryptonite", tell him Michelle sent you!

Been to The Palms Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!