“What a joke. Room received was NOT what was represented to us!” 1 of 5 stars

The Palms Casino Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4321 West Flamingo Road, Las Vegas, NV 89103   |
Ranked #50 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Bedford NH
“What a joke. Room received was NOT what was represented to us!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

We booked 3 months in advance a 2 bedroom suite in the Palms. The hotel sent us a web link so we could view the room. The room we booked was hip, modern and very stylish and included a bar. Even at 600.00 a night we were very excited. Once arriving in the room we were shocked. The stylish room we thought we booked was actually decorated with moss green 1990's furniture. After seeking out the manager we were told they gave our room in the new tower away and the hotel was booked. The room given to us was just in the old and just plain old. All they could do was upgrade us to a room that would cost an additional 500.00! Needless to say we declined that option.

Off to the pool we head for "Ditch Friday's" pool party. If you are 20 and looking to hook up with the drunkest person you can find, this place is for you. The pool is DISGUSTING and the people entertaining. Basically spring break. It was at least trashy fun people watching .

Later that evening we start to ready ourselves only to hop into a freezing cold shower. Again I ring the manager. He sends up his engineering dept who argues with me for 20 minutes nothing is wrong with the water temp. Finally after I insist they measure the temp against one of the other showers in the suite, they agree there is an 18 degree temp difference. They fix the issue leaving me with a tub filled with black dirty boot prints.

Housekeeping arrives while we are away. I am happy to report the boot prints are gone but the cleaning was pathetic in all other regards. No one bothered to vacuum as there was still hair all over the bathroom floor. This "suite" had no plasmas, no iPod hook ups, and very little furniture. The lighting was nonexistent leaving the room very dark. The only positive point was the bed. It was VERY comfy and was made with nice sheets and pillows.

Overall this was the worst hotel stay I have has in Vegas. The casino is small, dark and dull. The staff is not particularly friendly. The hotel does have a good bar (ghost bar) and club (rain) but I found the Bunny lounge and Moon to be a joke. We had a good snack at Little Buddha but the rest of the food selection is subpar.

I could not recommend this casino to anyone. Your money is better spent at Caesars or MGM.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
wantage, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

This was my first stay at the Palms and was lucky from the start.

We had a great deal ($109 with $30 food credit, $30 spa credit, $25 gaming credit and free VIP entry to the clubs).

On check in not only did we find we'd been goiven a $50 food credit, we had been upgraded to a Grand Suite! We had a living room, seperate bedroom, cloakroom, and a jacuzzi bath in the bathroom.

Decor was ok, not the hippest but fine. Also the TV's are 'old' style - but for a free upgrade I wasn't complaining!

Housekeeping could be better - the room was clean, but the fridge hadn't been cleaned out after the previous guests.

Used the spa, which was very nice, had a good massage and facial (package was $145 once the credit was applied). Didn't have time to use the pool but it looked nice.

Played the slots a little, and had my first win - only $20, but better than losing!

Ate at Little Buddha, good as usual, and the buffet for breakfast. Buffet is small, but ok for breakfast.

Overall it was very very quiet (Playboy club, Ghostbar and the casino all quiet), it was midweek but even so was very very quiet. I assume that's why we got the upgrade.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I would consider the Palms amongst the “middle of the road” casinos in Las Vegas as a general visitor (Las Vegas has lots of these-decent accommodations, okay casino, and some bad & good dining options). I would definitely give it slightly higher marks if I fell into that “young party at the club crowd”.
The palms has 2 great things going for it: A great nightlife/party scene (2 nightclubs & 2 Nightlife style lounges – most properties only have 1 of each) and some really awesome suites (only if your willing to drop $2,000+ a night). Other then those 2 factors-It is an average hotel for the average visitor.
The regular rooms: spacious and have comfortable beds-Nothing that really wow’s you though.
The casino: Somewhat older & outdated – carpeting looks faded and machines as well
Dining options: Food Court-Blah, Buffet-AWFUL, Gradunos-pretty good Mexican fare, and the high end restaurants I haven’t had a chance to eat in because they are $$$ - although I hear N9Ne & Nove are amazing.
Staff: Fairly Friendly
I would only stay in this casino hotel again if I was given a heavily discounted/free room again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

We stayed from 4/7-4/10. Following tips from other reviews on this site, I asked for a room upgrade at check-in, and was told I could upgrade to the fantasy tower for an additional $25/night. Since I got such a good rate originally on Orbitz, I agreed to pay the difference. It was worth it, even with the $25 upgrade, the total room cost was $84/night. The fantasy tower room was modern in design and comfortable. I was let down by the bed...other guests have said this hotel has the best beds in Vegas...well I thought the bedding was great, but the bed itself was just average. My only gripe with the casino itself was the lack of $5 minimum bet tables during the day when they were really not that busy. I also thought the selection of slot machines was meager compared to other Vegas casino's. The upside was that drink service while gambling at the tables was good. As far as dining at the hotel, N9NE steakhouse was expensive but a good steak. The menu is a la carte. Tip here is that the sides are enough for 2 and served on a separate dish which makes sharing easier. Just a way to save a few bucks while saving room for dessert. Dessert was probaly the best part of the meal. We also dined at the 24/7 cafe. Great food at great prices. We ate here twice. We also tried the Bistro Buffet for dinner our first night. This is only a bit better than the Golden Corrall on seafood night. There was a wide selection, but the food did not appear fresh and tasted adequate at best, and they had minimal staffing in the restaurant on our night, so you always had to wait for someone at the carving and dessert stations. Overall, we were very dissapointed by the Buffet. We did not try any of the clubs which is what the casino is known for. We instead opted for table gambling in the evening or taking a cab to the strip to experience other hotels. All in all, the hotel was well worth the $84/night I spent. I would not pay much more than that for a room here. The largest drawback to this hotel is the proximity to the strip. If this is your first time in Vegas, do not stay at this hotel. Pay a little extra and stay on the strip. Being within walking distance of everything is well worth it. If all you are looking for is nightlife and pool, then this hotel will probaly be a good bet for you. However if you want the convenience of shopping, dining, Vegas shows, and better gambling along with pool and nightlife, then staying at a hotel on the Strip will be a better option. So where I did save on the room, the money I spent in cab fare each day and the hassle of using cabs was not worth it. The staff overall was helpful and good looking. We did not use the concierge. Also note that Rain nightclub is only open on weekends. This was the only one we were interested in going to, however we stayed during the week so we missed this opportunity. The casino is also smokey, so if that bothers you, stay at one of the larger and more expensive hotels that have higher casino ceilings and better ventilation.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

I got a great deal on my stay, particularly because they upgraded me to a suite. The suite was nice, but not really impressive in any particular way.

They closed down the pool early (although most hotels in Vegas do).

On a positive note, the hotel staff were generally extremely helpful and friendly, with one exception. It was impossible to find waitstaff in the casino. I'm not sure how much you have to gamble to get a drink, but I never made it to that limit. The one waitress I found and tried ordering from, rudely told me "I'm not accepting orders at this time." I never did get a drink!

I also wouldn't recommend the breakfast buffet. It wasn't expensive, but it also really wasn't very good.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

I have to admit, I was worried after reading previous reviews. However, I have to keep in mind that most people write reviews because they are upset about their experiences. Content travelers write less often. With that said, I was a satisfied customer. It was my 21st birthday weekend and the front desk clerk did the best he could do to give me the best experience possible. He gave us the highest floor suite that was a nonsmoking room with a view of north strip and vip passes for both the men and women in my group for Rain that evening. The view was beautiful at the top of ghostbar and Moon. Little did we know that when we entered Rain that evening, they would be giving us all access passes worth $40-60 for free. These were vip admissions for all the nightspots in the Palms.

The room itself was in the first tower. Sure, it hasn't been renovated with flat screens yet, but it is a very roomy and comfortable room with an ipod hookup. the beds are super comfortable too!

we ate at the 24/7 cafe, gardunos, and little buddha. I personally thought that it wasn't too expensive, and they served you with a lot of food for the what they charged. The service overall was wonderful as well. I couldn't give them a perfect score because there were those few bad apples, but they didn't ruin my trip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My experience at the Palms ruined by trip. It is understandable that the "little guy" will not see the type of customer service the high rollers get in Vegas, but the Palms made sure to reinforce that with me. This horrible service was from just about every Palms employee that I ran into. Nobody seemed to want to address the problems with this resort. I would not be surprised if the Palms picture was next to pass the buck in the dictionary. I got used to "sorry I can't help you, let me transfer you to someone you can".

To top it all off, my wife left her cell phone charger in our room. We called and were informed that sending it to us would be no problem. We selected the cheapest option given to us ($5 to ship parcel post). Upon reviewing my credit card statement, the Palms charged me $43.33 to send me a $20.00 cell phone charger. After one of the worst customer service nightmares on the telephone (security, lost and found, business office...I think I also talked to a pit boss!) I finally got someone to tell me that $43.33 is the minimum charge it costs to send something. When questioned on how ridiculous that was, I got nothing but "I agree, but that is our minimum charge". When pressed what they would be willing to do to make this up to a guy like me, unfortunately, there was nothing. Not even a line pass, a comp admission to a club, or even a $5.00 slot credit!

Anyone with the least bit of customer service sense, would have called and ask if we really (after having been quoted $5.00 initially) would want them to charge me $43.33 to send a $20.00 item.

Nice to see the Palms can even stick it to me when my trip to Vegas is over and I'm 3000 miles away.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palms Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!