“Extended tour of the Hoover Dam” 4 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #85 of 610 Activities in Las Vegas
Shropshire
6 attraction reviews
“Extended tour of the Hoover Dam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We chose this tour because it was the only one that offered a walk over the top of the Dam. We hadn 't realised we would also be getting a stand up comedian! It was a great day out and well worth the money, the only criticism I would have was that we needed more warning of what we could and could not take with us. There is high security there [which I understand] but I needed more than the 2 min warning that we couldn't take stuff through. Also once off the coach you don 't get back on til after the tour so I should have taken my hat etc. But a minor irritation - the trip was great and the guide both knowledgeable and v,funny!

Golden, Canada
“The canyon was Grand; Comedy on Deck was not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My mom and I visited Las Vegas from Canada and took the West Rim Tour at a ticket price of $150/pp (prices seemed to vary). Our driver was Phil and our guide was Jody. My first impression was that Jody was very engaging and personable, and she was a very entertaining guide. The Canyon was incredible; absolutely recommended. Quite shortly into the tour however, we were given a brochure that was completely different from the one we were given by our vendor. On this brochure it explained that gratuities were not included in the ticket price and that if you enjoyed your tour it was customary to provide an additional $15/pp for the guide and $5/pp for the driver. There was absolutely no fine print explaining this on the brochure we came with, and this was not mentioned to us at all by our vendor, Darren. Multiple times throughout the tour Jody explained that the labor laws in Nevada do not allow for gratuities to be worked into the wage, and that tips are "how they make their money". She apologetically explained this as she acknowledged that people visit from all over the world and might not be aware. My mom and I were both quite irritated that this fact had not been mentioned anywhere. We did not want Jody & Phil to be short-changed but we also felt that it was just plain wrong, unfair, and awkward to not inform people until they were already on the bus. We brought a set amount of cash and had not set aside an extra $40, thinking everything was taken care of. I told my mom that I was going to explain to Jody why we weren't prepared to tip, but that I would be very willing to write a positive Trip Advisor review, knowing how valuable that is to a company and guide. I also thought that our feedback would be very valuable to Jody and Phil, as this directly affects how many tips they may or may not get. I also know that the most harmful type of customer a business can have is the kind that doesn't express their concerns to avoid an awkward conversation but won't ever return or recommend to others. At this point I had an overall positive experience and felt that Jody deserved our constructive honesty. By the end of the tour we had $5 left that we debated giving to Jody; not what was expected but perhaps better than nothing. I decided to hang on to the cash until after I had talked to Jody, and I am glad that I did. Jody never saw that $5. I started by letting her know we really appreciated the tour, and began my explanation of our ignorance of the custom, as our vendor did not inform us. Suddenly all of Jody's charm was gone and she wouldn't even look at me. She abruptly cut me off and said that the vendor probably didn't tell us because it was common knowledge and that they probably thought everyone already knew this. I tried to point out that she said herself that people come from all over the world and are not likely to be familiar with each custom, and all that had to be done to fix this for the future was throw in the words "gratuities not included" as any restaurant menu would. Tourism is not as cut and dried as food and beverage, and there are variations in the customs. Jody very clearly did not want to hear a word I said and cut me off mid-speech once again to tell me that it was okay if we "didn't have the money" and that a positive Trip Advisor review would make up for it. Well Jody, great minds think alike and as promised, here are my final thoughts; my ignorance of Nevada labor laws + your condescension = YOUR LOSS
I thought I would also mention to others looking into the tour that we were sold on 3.5 hours at the canyon, which in reality was 45 mins at Eagle Point and 1 hour at Guano Point, during which we also had to wait in line for the "hot lunch", which could be described as cold cafeteria food at best. One other red flag I will mention is that while Jody's tour guide facade may have been entertaining, it was not always appropriate. While waiting for our shuttle she was having a very loud presentation-style chat with the security guards all about the crazy things past customers have done, and even more shockingly- stories about other tour guides physically assaulting elderly guests on the tour. While on a personal level I was entertained by their banter, I found it profoundly unprofessional. Overall, if you are tourists like us and driving isn't an option, I recommend going for a tour but I see no reason to choose Comedy on Deck over the others.

Foley, Alabama
“As much fun as it was informative!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

2014-03-17 Our group of 4 adults had the best time on this tour. It was fun and silly and just darn educational. Jodi was so funny and entertaining that we didn't really realize how much information we were taking in until we talked about it later. She's a vast wealth of information and made the whole trip amusing! She gave us some great tips and I'm only sorry that we didn't do this tour earlier in our visit instead of the last day. They picked our group up timely, provided silly gag gifts (St Patrick's Day) for entertainment. The lunch is not anything worth having but it was filling. The side trip to Ethel M's was amazing also (buy the Pecan Brittle!). Well worth the money spent!! I went because one of our group wanted to go and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much. It was definitely one of the highlight's of our trip to Vegas!

Guelph
4 attraction reviews
“Great Trip to the Grand Canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We were fortunate enough to encounter Phil as our guide on our Comedy on Deck Tour of the Grand Canyon, South Rim. Phil was extremely knowledgable and went out of his way to make sure all his guests had an excellent day. We opted for the tour plus food which was well worth the money, and delicious. An awesome day and a highly recommended tour.

Toledo, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
“Great views of Hoover Dam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Ultimate Hoover Dam VIP Tour with Jason was great. The time spent in the bus to and from the dam was informative, and included great scenery and a nice drive through Boulder City. We got the best view of the dam by walking onto the new bridge, and this was the highlight for me. Lunch was included, and we stopped at the chocolate factory on the way back. Great caramel chocolates, and the garden just outside was interesting.