“Not wood oven pizza” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Mario
Gloucester, MA
“Not wood oven pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I love eataly in NY city. The same owners as OTTOs in Vegas. The pizza in NY, out standing, very close to pizza in Napoli . So I did not want to miss Otto in Vegas. Vegas Ottos did not have wood burning ovens. If you love pizza you know the difference. The minute I saw the pizza I knew to thin not cooked in wood burning oven. That all being said, service was the best, could not do enough for us. Vino list, if you could not find a bottle of vino it is you not them. I would go back there just not for Pizza.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto
“Good food - service needs work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was dining alone in Vegas. Had a copy of the New York Times to read and had a seat at the bar. Looking for a salad, a glass of wine and some pasta. I generally like to try food that I do not make at home or that is unique. The salad was quite good. Potato, octopus, arugula. Well dressed and well balanced. Octopus is a pain to cook so it is great to have when someone does all the hard work. The pasta was pretty good, sausage and rapini with gemilli? Usually this is served with orichetti but in any event the pasta was good.

The service was weird. On one hand it was quick and efficient, friendly and on the spot. Meaning that it was not obtrusive but was attentative. For example I was asked if I would like another glass of wine as soon as I finished ny first glass. Now for the weird part. When I ordered my meal the server asked, do you know that there is no tomato sauce? He said "there will be vegetables and sausage, no sauce!". I said I was aware of that. Then he said that the pasta would be cooked less than I might be used to. " it would be crunchy. Like they eat in Italy". I swear I laughed out loud!

I said I lived in Italy for 5 years and I never had "crunchy" pasta. Ahahahahaha!

I asked that the pasta be cooked a little longer than crunchy and it arrived 'al dente' as it should be. Crisis averted!

This is a good place to eat and the food is very good. The waiters are also very good, and on some occasions, very entertaining.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hampshire, UK
“Excellent meal, great service, upmarket atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just eaten dinner at Otto Pizzeria in the Grand Canal Shoppes area of The Venetian Hotel. We had a nice table for two with great 'people watching' opportunities and our server was Carlos fom Puerto Rico.

The atmosphere of "St Mark's Square" is very nice with various live music performances going on in the background and the general hubbub of passing guests. The restaurant front of house staff were very friendly and we had a table immediately even without a reservation. Menu is what we would expect in a good quality Italian Pizzeria and the wine list is very extensive (and expensive) compared to the real thing in Europe. Wines range from $40 - $680 per bottle. Can't imagine they sell that many of the latter !! We had two pizzas, one mixed side-salad, a bottle of sparkling water, a 250ml glass of wine and a Moretti beer. The bill was $81 including tax but no gratuity.

Given the good service from Carlos, the very tasty pizzas and the freshest of salads, plus the really nice atmosphere in the overall location this felt like good value. The only reason I would not give Otto the one extra rating of excellent was purely because of the overpriced wine list. Paying these prices to accompany an upscale meal could be ok but prices averaging somewhere between $50-70 for a very basic wine with a pizza is a bit much in my opinion.

However this should not detract from the overall experience which was very good and I'd return without hesitation. The entire Grand Canal Shoppes complex is fantastic and Otto is definitely worth a visit if you have Italian food in mind.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, MA
“Sit at the bar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

If you are wandering by the canals in the Venetian this is a great spot for small plates, pizza or full dinner. It is usually full but you can eat at the bar where they make the salads and slice the prosciutto; it is fun to watch and you can see and here the square. Great food too.

Visited November 2012
Whistler, Canada
“Should have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

The two of us finally dined here, been wanting to try this Mario Batali effort at the Venetian. Food was not bad but certainly far from a great effort. We started with a double order of stuffed zuccini blossoms, an item we love but don't see on many menus. They were a nice size and the cheese stuffing handled nicely but the batter clearly was poorly handled tempura batter which turned chewy when they cooled. My wife's seafood stew was generous with seafood but the soup base too simple, one dimensional. My pizza was good but an average crust for a restaurant which touts their pizza. The wine list is extensive and covers all of Italy. We enjoyed a super tuscan but the markup in excess of 200% is greedy and unfair as they don't offer corkage. It was a disappointing dinner and clearly another case of a superstar chef putting his name but not his talent to work.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere