“Greatness and lameness hand in hand” 4 of 5 stars

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
Ranked #30 of 271 Hotels in Las Vegas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Austin, Texas
“Greatness and lameness hand in hand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I'll start by saying that I'd give it 3.5 star if TripAdvisor allowed half-stars. While I think the execution of some parts of the hotel is fantastic, it nonetheless comes up short in a few areas.

The first thing you need to know is that the property is divided into two very different towers: West and East. West is the gargantuan one -- well, okay, not gargantuan by Vegas standards, but by everyone elses -- and appears to house many of its lower-end rooms (but take that with a grain of salt, seeing as the smallest room is a 460 sq ft "studio"). It's furthest from the action, at least if you want a view of the Strip or the hotel's pools.

The East Tower, on the other hand, pulls off the remarkable feat of appearing ... normal from the inside! Unlike nearly every other Vegas hotel of relatively recent vintage, which can have three separate wings on each floor each with upwards of 50+ room, the East Tower appears to only have about a dozen accommodations per floor. The key here seems to be that the *smallest* room in the tower is the Terrace One Bedroom, which is 610 sq ft and has a 110 sq ft terrace in addition. The fact that so many of the rooms/suites *have* terraces is pretty unique in itself. Given that the Terrace 1BR has an arrangement similar to the rooms at Palms Place -- essentially a miniature apartment, including a full kitchenette -- I'm guessing that, much like Palms Place, the plan is to eventually convert the property into the 21st-century version of a timeshare: you pay X amount to use the space X days per year, and get all sorts of perks in return. (The Palms Place put this plan on hold due to the recession, and hasn't reinitiated it AFAIK.)

As a former hotel reviewer *and* interior design aficionado, let's just say I'm hard to impress. However, the Cosmo gets an A+ in my book for style points. The designers managed to come up with a truly luxurious feeling setting for each of the terrace units, at least, without resorting to any tricks like using ubiquitous furniture. (Well, okay: I did spot a number of Arne Jacobsen Egg chairs in the lobby, but they also used a number of other Fritz Hansen designs.) The suites are the embodiment of eclectic design done the *right* way, which is amazingly difficult to pull off. The beds (and bedding) are top-notch, with a variety of pillows to choose from. The lighting in the rooms was fantastic, particularly considering how difficult it is to pull off that one feat. Finally, I appreciated the Cosmo having not only dispensed with paid Internet entirely, their free Internet may be the single-fastest I've ever encountered in a hotel. I ran Speedtest on it, and I was consistently pulling 30Mbps. I can't speak to whether similar speeds can be achieved throughout the property, but it's a good sign nonetheless.

Also a good sign is managing to get molecular gastronomy wunderkind José Andrés to open no fewer than *three* restaurants on site (though one is the eight-seat é by José Andrés, which could very well be the most difficult reservation in Vegas). Still, Jaleo's tapas menu appears immensely popular, and even his China Poblano concept is that rarest of gastronomic creatures: a fusion concept that appears to be entirely original.

Onto the not-so-good. Upon entering my room's enclosed toilet area, I encountered a stained, worn and wet rag on the floor. I assume it was left by a cleaning person, but still ... that's not something I've ever seen even in a cheap motel, let alone a hotel with the kind of accolades this one has received to date. Then there's the ... how do I put it? I guess "stinginess" issue. I was there during a period for which the hotel was clearly mostly empty, and yet when I enquired at check-in about upgrading to a Terrace 1BR, I was told flat-out that it'd be a $50 surcharge. Silly *me* for thinking that hotels should automatically upgrade guests if ample space is available...

Finally, I cannot finish a review of the Cosmo without mentioning Marquee ... despite never actually attending one of its events. Imagine every stereotype you have about Vegas clubs with bottle service. Now double it; up the bottle-service prices considerably; tack on the added "private cabana" fees; and imagine this ridiculous party taking place night *and* day, all outdoors (though it's covered in chilly weather), in a place with pools. From female friends who've visited, it's downright sadistic, forcing them to climb *emergency exit stairs* -- in five-inch heels! -- in many cases to get there in the first place. Why on *earth* a "classy" establishment would force its patrons to go through all manner of indignity merely to gain entrance is beyond me. Oh, and I should of course mention that the door is the most "selective" in town ... unless, of course, you have five brand to blow on a cabana and table service, in which case even the biggest dorks can get in.

So: I'd give the hotel's visual aesthetic an A+; its restaurants an A- (not all live up to the hype); its service a B-/C+; and its nightclubs a D. That leaves us somewhere in B territory, so again, I'd give it 3.5 stars.

Room Tip: Stay in the East Tower with a Fountain View suite to get a bird's eye look at the adjacent Bella...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was my second stay, excellent hotel from start to finish: rooms are lovely big, clean, modern, good products and comfy beds.. and great views (ours overlooked the Bellagio fountains - amazing!). The casino and main hotel feel luxurious and beautiful with good bars and restaurants everywhere and 3 amazing pools - one quiet and chilled, one a bit more lively (but still relaxing) and the Marquee pool (which is a day and night club) - expensive but the most fun.
Customer service was excellent - checking in i arrived hours before the rest of my party and asked for our rooms to be next to each other. No problem. Our check out was quite complicated as we had to split it in so many ways but the guy handled it patiently and brilliantly. I left an item behind in the room and only realised a week later.. filled out the lost and found form and within a couple of hours received a call to say they had found the item and would ship it to me in England.
Only complaint - we were there for a special occasion so i had bought some champagne to welcome my friends.. but there was NO space in the fridge, so i had to jiggle things around in the mini bar to force a bottle in and got charged for a snickers and a drink (which they later removed). Need more fridge space!!

Room Tip: Ask for view of bellagio (one side of hotel overlooks it)
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Lahaina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here for 3 nites and from the minute we stepped out of the taxi, the friendly bellman greeted us and helped us with our luggage and was so accommodating that we did have them later bring them to our room. Besides enjoying the gorgeous hotel and casino, we loved the fact that we were able to access nearby hotels also, like Vdara, Bellagio, and Aria..and altho we were in the rear wing, it was easier to get to those hotels thru the back walkways, which the bellman informed us about. Otherwise like our friends, we wouldn't have known about it and would have walked to the front, thru Crystals, which is very far. It also was a hop and skip away for Planet Hollywood too, which was nice. We played on the card tables at nite and found the dealers to be very personable and it made the time spent there very enjoyable. I have to say that this hotel is very first class and the staff are very helpful and accommodating. The room itself was very classy and we loved the very comfy down comforters and bedding as well as the thick towels and robe. The turn down service was unexpected so that was nice, too. The crowd there were mostly in their 20's-40's and seemed like it was "the spot" to be at...I would say it is a great place to stay at, being its location is right in the heart of the strip.

Room Tip: Some prefer the front wing with the strip view which is great but the rear wing gives u better acces...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Great hotel and great location. Room are spacious and the hotel has good facilities.
The hotel is centrally located close to main attractions and shops. I had great view from my room.
Check-in was easy and service was friendly on the front-desk. Parking was convenient.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Amoma.com

Manheim, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed here for a conference so I can't comment on cost or value. But overall it was a very nice, chic place to stay. Towards the upper end of the strip but really plenty to do all around within walking distance. Food was pretty good, I wasn't as impressed with the Wicked Spoon as most were. Very good for business, no theme to the hotel but plenty of food, shops and gambling. Good service from the reception desk as well. Nice place overall, middle of the road for Vegas. I would stay again, no problems at all.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed at The Cosmo for four nights in April 2015. The room was clean and big. For some reason I was put in a handicap room so the shower was a big awkward and there was no tub, but as the weekend progressed I found the railings to be quite helpful. :)

We ate at the buffet (everything you could want), the restaurant by the pool (good but could use more menu variety) and the burger place (amazing!). The shops on the second floor were nice but watch out for the employees at the skincare store - they are like carnival hawkers chasing you down.

The casino and bars are nice and the drinks are not terribly overpriced. Its Vegas; its expensive.

The staff could not have been nicer.

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is lux in every way. I do want to warn you if you like minimalism and simplicity this is not the place for you. The hotel has a lot of stuff to look all the time. I was overwhelmed at first because there is just so much to take in.

I spent the majority of my time when I was at the hotel walking around/exploring and at the pool. The pool is very nice. The chairs are comfortable, but they do get really hot in the sun. I went to the Bamboo pool and they had towels, water, full bar, and a menu for food items. The bar items are overpriced. I ordered a small pina colada and it was very obviously from a frozen mixer and it was not fully mixed so there were ice chunks in my drink. Not worth the $14.

The room we stayed in had a balcony with a view of the strip, and it was over the pools. If I sat on the balcony I could hear the D.J. from the pool party. However, once the doors were closed we could not hear any noise. It was great!

I would definitely return to this hotel.It would be a great place to stay for a girls' weekend. It was beautiful and fun to be at.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the strip.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas? Share your experiences!