“Great rooms, poor hotel layout” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 15% In Las Vegas
Ranked #35 of 273 hotels in Las Vegas
Dallas, Texas
“Great rooms, poor hotel layout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed for three nights in a suite overlooking the strip. Beautiful room, with the best views in Vegas. Stayed between Thanksgiving and Christmas, a slow period, so that might have helped in getting a suite with a great view. The hotel, though, seems to be poorly laid out, with a narrow profile downstairs and ugly, dark, areas on the second and third floors where the shops and most restaurants are located. I would recommend staying here if you have hotel (Marriott) points, which is rare on the Strip, but I would eat and play elsewhere as the public areas are not appealing.

Room Tip: The view of the fountains at the Bellagio are great if you are high up and on the north side of the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

7,278 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,741)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Hotel was very good and especially the complimentary upgrade provided with an excellent strip view and watching Bellagio fountains from the balcony was cool. only down side was the casino floor and you could find better options elsewhere

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Potomac, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The staff is very accommodating, the rooms was very large and clean. The food was pricier than I expected, but for the most part was very good. My biggest criticism is both the card access in the elevator and the slot machines was very temperamental. Additionally the hotel should take a page from the Marquis in Time Square and have better elevator programming, the waits were often in excess of 5 minutes.

Room Tip: Having Marriott Platinum status is very helpful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Booked two rooms using Marriott points two months before arrival for 30th december for 3 nights. Upon arrival I was being pushed to upgrade to two bedroom suite for $1000.00 more per night. Upon refusal got 1 good room on 67th floor and one room on 18th floor looking at the Airconditioner's. We are here to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday and spent over 120,000 Marriott points per room to make sure we get a good room for this special occasion. Checked in early around 1:00PM to make sure good rooms are not gone. But still got crappy rooms. This is what we get for being Marriott's Platinum Guest. The guest services was not able to help, nor the resort manager. Kept saying they are completely sold out, but when I saw the Marriott website while they were online, they are still selling rooms. Seems like they don't like customers staying at their resort using Marriott points, they discourage them by giving them rooms with Airconditioner views.

Never expected this from a hotel operating under Marriott name.

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay for an upgrade if you want a good room, or they will stick you in a room with ter...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 1 night (a Sunday) on a comp offer. The offer was for a Terrace Studio but I really wanted a Fountain View Wraparound Terrace Suite.

I checked in early at around 10.45am, not expecting that a room would be ready. There were no separate lines for check-in/out which was rather odd. I immediately asked the check in clerk the cost of upgrading to my desired suite and was more than happy to pay the fee since my reservation was originally free. I was really surprised when she told me that the suite was ready for me, but I didn't go up to it until around 1pm.

When I got into the suite which was in the east tower, 53rd floor, with one terrace overlooking the fountains and the other directly opposite Planet Hollywood I was so looking forward to being blown away. Unfortunately, I had a very nasty surprise because the room had not been cleaned and the previous occupants had clearly had a party.

I immediately called Guest Services who were very apologetic and they offered to move me to another suite. However, it was on a much lower floor so I declined and asked for housekeeping to be sent straightaway to clean the room.

After only a few minutes Parker, the Housekeeping Manager, arrived and was genuinely mortified that I has been given a room that had not been cleaned. She got a maid in who did a great job while I sat on the terrace watching the fountains and calling home. Once the maid had finished, Parker came back again to inspect the room and also offered me a credit for my inconvenience, which I accepted. She was really great and said how much she loved working at the Cosmo. She also got someone to help me fix my wifi connection issues. She turned a really unpleasant situation around and was a true star.

Once my suite was clean, I had a proper look around. It had two bathrooms, one off the hallway with a huge shower, and one behind the bed with two sinks, a separate loo, another huge shower and a big deep bath. The kitchen area had a hob, microwave, sink, fridge and wine cooler as well as other cupboards and drawers that I never even looked in! The living area had an l-shaped sofa, coffee table, 2 chairs, a chaise longue, dining table, 4 dining chairs, desk and chair. The bedroom had a king size bed that was very comfortable, a wing-chair and a chest of drawers. There were a few little signs of wear and a few stains on the carpet but I was expecting it to be worse given the hammering that these rooms seem to get!

Obviously, the number 1 reason for getting one of these suites is the terrace. There were 3 sets of sliding doors onto it. 2 from the living area and the 3rd from the bedroom. On the terrace their were sofas and coffee tables at either end and another sofa on the corner. I liked the fact that although it was a non-smoking room, there were ashtrays on the coffee table so you could have a cigarette (I smoke, but prefer a non-smoking room). I spent the whole afternoon on the terrace just watching the world go by. I could hear the boom of the fountains but not the music and could also hear all the hubbub of the strip.

I dined at e, the 'secret' restaurant at the back of Jaleo (outstanding - I will do a separate review), had room service breakfast (very quick, all hot and fresh) and lunch at Milo's before leaving for the airport (a la carte not the lunch special and very good).

I loved how close the restaurants were to the east tower elevators and the convenience of the east tower valet pickup.

It may have been because I was there on a Sunday, but I didn't have any problems with noise on my floor or see any raucous partying.

Despite the big hiccup on arrival, I would definitely stay at the Cosmo again, but it would have to be in the same room type with the same view as I have been spoilt for life!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Stevenage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked the hotel via a website because of it's location and good reviews - it was not one of the cheapest.
The valet parking and pick-up was quick and efficient as was check-in and check-out.
The room was very good apart from a few important things.
There was no coffee maker - when we asked why we were told it was because drunk guests burnt them out etc. - why not buy ones with safety cut outs?
The fridge was full of unwanted drinks leaving no space to put our drinks in. When we checked out they tried to charge us for water we did not drink.
The hotel has an excellent buffet restaurant (The Wicked Spoon) and several expensive restaurants. We found the expensive restaurant overpriced with just adequate service.
We bought some water and pretzels at the hotel shop which was very expensive - after leaving we found the pretzels were months out of date!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I am a platinum Marriott rewards member with over 100 nights stayed at Marriott properties during 2013. I arrived at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas this evening, a premium property in the Marriott portfolio, and have experienced the worst arrival experience of my life. The hotel is a beautiful property and I have stayed here a number of times before. This time may be my last.

My flight was delayed and I arrived late in the evening, just after 11 p.m. The Platinum member check in had closed for the night so I went to the main desk. Check in took approximately 10 minutes during which time the front desk clerk disappeared in the back "to find me a room". I headed up to my room to discover the Bellagio Fountain view that I'd booked was not to be, having been replaced with a view of the Planet Hollywood sign.

As I started to unpack, I became aware of a loud buzzing sound which I eventually traced to the mini-bar. I called the front desk and asked for maintenance to be sent up to turn off the fridge. As I type this, the maintenance person has arrived, just over an hour after my original call, and twenty minutes after I spoke with the front desk manager (a gentleman named Gavin). During my wait, I worked through problems with the internet in the room.

As an experienced traveller, my guess is that the room I'm spending the night in was not in service when I arrived. The hotel is likely over-booked so when I didn't arrive when expected, the hotel staff moved my room to someone else. When I did eventually arrive (delayed due to flight delays), the hotel assigned an out-of-service room to me, then failed to respond when I reported problems. As it turns out, the noise problem was resolved by turning off the mini-bar, a 10 second activity for the maintenance person. To get that to happen, only took 90 minutes of my time.

It's New Year's in Vegas and rooms are scarce, but I've started looking for an alternative.

This property is beautifully built (by MGM Mirage before they were foreclosed on), but the management falls far short of Marriott's normal standards. The bankers who own the Cosmopolitan have left the hotel understaffed and left the staff that is here poorly trained. It's fine for a casual visitor to a Vegas strip resort, but I would not recommend to anyone who expects the normal high standards of service that Marriott typically delivers. This is clearly not a Marriott hotel.

Room Tip: The pools are located on the roofs of the lower portion of the hotel. Pool view rooms at levels jus...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas? Share your experiences!