“A victim of its own popularity” 3 of 5 stars

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
Hotel deals
Ranked #41 of 271 hotels in Las Vegas
Los Angeles, California
“A victim of its own popularity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I've been to The Cosmopolitan several times since its opening. Unfortunately this last visit (business trip) left me with a different impression of the hotel. Overall, I found the service lacking and the property showing signs of wear and tear. Perhaps the hotel is suffering from its own popularity?
Here are the reasons why I will stay somewhere else next time:
Upon check-in I asked for a quiet room where I would not hear noise from Marquee Club. I was given room 2208 with assurances it would be quiet. Not so! I was unable to sleep so I requested a room change on the same floor, but opposite side of the hallway. Housekeeping confirmed three rooms were available. However, the Front Desk made me move up to a higher floor which I did not want.
On this note, room 2208 needs a new night lamp. The second room, 5824, was high enough not too hear loud music and it was fine overall, except for two moths in the shower. I am not afraid of bugs and they did not bother me, not sure other guests would feel the same way.
I dined at several restaurants during my stay. The Blue Ribbon continues to be exceptional and very much worth the high price. However, Holstein's and The Henry leave much to be desired in terms of service and quality of food. At The Henry for breakfast at 7.00am few tables were occupied, yet, the servers were slow to bring coffee and overall inattentive. At Holstein's, the server seem to be on drugs. Room Service was slow but that is expected in Vegas. However, the quality of the food has gone South since my last visit in September 2011.
Lastly, don’t open the Minibar! A subtle move will register a purchase even if you do not touch the items. A bit of a shame as I used to love this hotel…Guess all good things come to an end.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

7,039 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,636)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Orange County, CA
1,165 helpful votes 1,165 helpful votes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

First off let me say that I felt that my experience was going to be much much better.

Front desk check-in was great. (Mark D.) was able to answer all my questions, and made some fantastic suggestions for the trip. He directed me to the west elevators, and my journey began. I got to the 55th floor, exited, and saw all kinds of trash on the hallway floor??? Not just a couple of pieces, but cue tips, candy wrappers, fruit stems, and more. So, I figured some jerk had thrown their trash all around.

Then I got to my room and saw a few more things that concerned me. First, I found a white electrical cord on the floor, a coupe of lights that would not come on, a broken window blind (with the wand lying on the floor), nothing in the mini-bar, but worst of all, a clump of hair on the shower floor. I can live with a light out, but not knowing what the cord belonged to, I called the front desk. They sent Anthony from Tech Services. He was very apologetic, and explained that it should not be in the room, belonged to the Cosmopolitan, and took possession of it. He then called Engineering to fix the lights and blinds, and Housekeeping to clean the shower. Engineering arrived just before midnight, and fixed the problems in about 30 minutes. As for Housekeeping, they never responded :( I ran hot water in the shower for several minutes, until the hair disappeared down the drain. As for the empty mini-bar, I probably wouldn't have had anything anyway.

Having a terrace attached to my room was fantastic. Being on the north side of the west tower, I was able to watch the fountains @ Bellagio, and see the strip. Very nice!

The bed was very comfortable, and I had a great night sleep. In the morning I shared my concerns with Michelle in Guest Services. She was genuinely concerned and offered me a dining credit during my stay.

I was treated very well on the casino floor, and their cocktail service was exceptional. Will I be back? Probably not. I think I will be sticking with the MGM properties from this point on.

Room Tip: West tower w/Bellagio fountain view is fantastic. (There is an up charge of course.)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Midlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I've seen some recent nightmare stories about this hotel on here, and whilst people can experience good and bad anywhere, and have different tastes, I have to say I found absolutely nothing wrong here.

From the lobby, to a prompt check in and heading up to my one bed terrace with fountain view (wow) this is the place to be. It's decor is visually stunning, and good size casino, the blvd pool is amazing with views of the strip, music, comfy beds and very clean.

The terrace room we had was first class. Sofa area, kitchen area, wardrobe area, separate bedroom onto balcony overlooking the fountains of Bellagio and beyond. The bathroom with hot tub and being able to view the strip while showing is awesome.

The car park has a great red/green indicator above each space so you can quickly identify a space, and the lift were fast and frequent. Good access to strip on multiple levels.

I ate at the wicked spoon, with amazing quality food though I thought it could have varied a bit more daily - maybe a few daily specials, but hard to complain with good quality and service. Also ate and the 'secret' pizza place on the 3rd floor which was scrummy.

I've stayed at the Wynn and thought it would be hard to find a better place, but views, location and style beat it for me. Will absolutely be returning to Cosmo.

• Stayed June 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I booked a wraparound terrace suite for me and my husband to celebrate his birthday. I'll start by saying that the suite was great. Clean and well-appointed, we were very happy with the room. Beautiful view of the Bellagio fountains made it worth the cost. But that's pretty much all the positive things I have to say.

Upon check-in, we were told that the manager wanted to "say hello and welcome us" because we were locals. I thought that was a nice touch, but little did I know, that "hello and welcome" was anything BUT that. The manager approached us, and his "welcome to the resort" consisted of telling us that because we are locals and only staying one night, we were being singled out. He proceeded to tell us that no parties/large groups were allowed in the suite. Then he asked if we had any outside food, to which I said yes (I had brought some food for us because there was a kitchen in the suite), and was told that outside food was not allowed in the suites. This interrogation made us feel anything but welcome in this resort, and I didn't witness anyone else receiving this type of treatment. What a way to spoil a husband and wife's birthday staycation/celebration.

I should point out that on the Cosmopolitan's website, it does advertise that the wraparound terrace suite has a "modern kitchen featuring Sub-Zero refrigerator, microwave and stove." Why would you mention that in the room description on your website if you don't allow outside food?

I have never been treated so poorly and felt so unwelcome at a resort (especially upon check-in), and that's a shame for such a beautiful resort and for the amount that we spent on that suite.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

First Time in Vegas and just like a previous review, we also booked a room with a fountain view, to find that he had a view of the car park instead. Complained about this to three people before one decided that he would place us in a room with the view we paid for. However we had to pay an extra $25 a night for it. Glad we did tough because it was worth it with stunning views.

Room clean, modern and well equipped. No complaints here.

At 12am in the morning my wife and I returned from a night out to find that someone had vomited on floor 29 on the Eastside tower just outside the lifts. The stench was bad with vomit all over the carpet on up the wall. I did the right thing, phoned guest services and informed them of the issue.

10am that same morning when we went out for the day, it was still sitting there. Disgusting. When we returned around 6pm, it had been cleaned up, however stains were still up the wall and the stench was still in the air. Poor cleaning for such a well respected establishment.

The stay was overall very good and will return one day.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Cosmopolitan is one of the newer Las Vegas casinos and it really brings in a young, hip and fashionable crowd. It is easy to see why. The rooms are upscale suites and many come with balconies. There were a few things that could be better--the A/C unit did not work as well as it should have and Aria has more modern amenities (like an electronic door panel to signal do not disturb or service room)--but this is one of the nicer hotels on The Strip. And it really creates both a contemporary and upscale experience. The Cosmopolitan is part of the Marriott brand so you earn points and elite nights though a lot of the JW Marriott, Marriott and Renaissance elite benefits are not extended here because The Cosmopolitan has its own loyalty program (Identity).

Pros: Big suite-like and comfortable rooms with large living areas (great meeting / gathering space), contemporary and luxurious decor, great location (right next to The Bellagio), the hotel is small enough that it is not a long walk to get from your hotel room to The Strip, balconies in some rooms (which is a rarity in Las Vegas), one of the few hotels on The Strip where you earn points that you are likely to use outside of Las Vegas (Marriott Rewards).

Cons: Room did not get cool enough, towels and linen were not as good as other Vegas hotels like The Bellagio and Aria, room rates are typically expensive (one of the more expensive hotels on The Strip).

Room Tip: Request a balcony upgrade or ensure you get a room with a balcony when making a reservation
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Two years ago we stayed at the Cosmopolitan and loved it. The rooms were lovely, the service was great. Unfortunately, my return trip this past February was not the same experience — not by a long shot. The rooms are still quite attractive, well-appointed and the fact you have a balcony was an added bonus, but my overall stay paled in comparison to my first visit.

On my first full day there my wallet was stolen, by men dressed up as hotel employees who entered our staff office (we were hosting an event at the hotel). The hotel assumed no responsibility whatsoever; I didn’t even get an apology. Considering how much money our company spent over the course of the week, I thought this was nothing short of ludicrous.

Theft aside, security as a whole has deteriorated at the hotel. There was no key-card necessary to get up to the guest rooms and absolutely no security personnel at the elevator banks. Even the cheapest hotels in Vegas vigilantly monitor who enters the hotel towers…how is this acceptable? Anyone could enter off the strip and head up to the rooms; in a city that encourages silly behavior, I found that alarming.

What a shame that the property has declined the way it has; my first stay made me a raving fan. My second stay made me raging mad; I’d say that’s just the wrong amount of wrong.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas? Share your experiences!