“Arrogant check in staff, not 5 star service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15% In Las Vegas
Ranked #35 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Ontario, Canada
“Arrogant check in staff, not 5 star service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I booked for our anniversary through our travel agent. We stayed at the Vdara last year and thought we would try another newly built hotel. We telephoned 2 weeks prior to our stay and specifically requested the West Tower for a quiet stay as we had read on Trip Advisor that the East Tower was very noisy.

We arrived at 1:30 in the morning and were told by an arrogant 20 something male desk attendant that we were booked into the opposite tower to what we had been promised. He actually rolled his eyes when my husband politely told him that we had booked a quiet room with a balcony. We walked through a crowded and smoky casino to find the elevator to our room. The directions reminded me of National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation! Walking into the room was like being trapped in front of a speaker at a rock concert. We could not speak to each other without yelling. Back to the desk we go, and were offered an upgrade to the quiet tower (which we had already pre-paid in advance) for only $175.00 for EACH of the 4 nights. Unbelievable! They were offering us a downgraded suite with no balcony without financial compensation or pay an extra 700 dollars for what we were supposed to have!

To make a long story short, a bell hop named Dan who came to carry our luggage during our downgrade to the quiet tower saved our stay. He talked to his manager and we were given the room we had booked through our travel agent the next day. No apology from management for the inconvenience.

I did hear a roumour that this property was bankrupt. No wonder considering the service. No way this hotel should be 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,006)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

First, I will stay here again.....I loved the room.....the design, amenities, balcony and the views....I loved the total "vibe/ambiance" of the hotel....great location too......my dinner at "Stk" was excellent....food/beverage/service and atmosphere......an amazing massage and OK facial at the spa.....but there were a few issues.....I noticed a broken blind on one of my windows upon arrival....I pointed this out to the bellman....he said he would call me back in 5 minutes to confirm that it had been reported for repair.....he never called....it was never fixed.....(closed the whole time).....I sent a few items out for laundry service at 7:20 AM (to be returned by 5 PM)...still hadn't got them back at check out....when I inquired again...they were returned in the same bag.....not cleaned.....("they said they had called you to tell you they couldn't get your laundry done" - they didn't).....the first night I rolled over in the bed and felt something by my leg.....an empty condom wrapper (Magnum XL - not mine).....I inspected the bedding....it appeared clean.....I didn't want to call anyone....I was very tired........at check out.....(3:30 AM)......I was told the computers were down and they couldn't check me out....but would when they came back on line around 6 AM.....they wrote down my email address and said they would send me a copy of the bill....I still haven't received it......so there were some service issues.....the staff was always very nice....(at check in there were many lines and lots of people waiting to check in....but my front desk person walked around the desk and greeted me in line and took me to the desk for check in....a very nice touch......I noticed a few others did this....most just nodded their heads to give the guest the "come on over".....so....I'll try them again....the positives out weigh the negatives.

Tulemar Dave

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We have stayed on the strip before and by far this was the best hotel we have stayed at. They are definitely service oriented and provide the best of the best. The room was amazing and we had no problems with the room being cleaned.

The Boulevard pool was nice but they have loud music so it was more of a party atmosphere which is excellent for those who are looking for that! The Bamboo pool had more soothing music and was a more relaxed atmosphere - we spent most our time there. The issue I had with the pools is that there is a lot of reserved areas for the beds. There was just a lot less availability and it can be difficult to find seating.

Once we checked out we became aware that we had the ability to enter the Marquee day club with free admission while we stayed at the hotel. - Good information to know before we were checking out. Again very minor issue.

This hotel was excellent and is always very busy and I would definitely stay there again!

North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011 via mobile

Hotel was full of young punks and hoodlums. Bad behavior everywhere you went. Security at hotel seemed non-existent. Hotel entrance and lobby had a horrible stench that smelled like garbage rotting in the hot sun. Check in process was slow as they were re-entering everyone's information. Rooms were nice but were not enough to overcome all the negatives. Will not come back.

• Stayed June 2011
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I recently stayed at The Cosmo Hotel in Las Vegas and let me tell you, this hotel as a product is amazing. The decor, atmosphere and property in general is fabulous but is completely let down by the Front Desk Staff, the noise from the nightclub and housekeeping. WARNING to all International guests, your breakfast is not free and when they tell you that you have a $50 credit per day to spend in any food and beverage outlet this is also a lie and you will be faced with a nice bill upon checkout. Dont bother arguing with the extremely rude and arrogant staff as they will just tell you tough luck and have a nice day. Lana Le the Resort Manager is the rudest member of staff that I have ever encountered, she was unhelpful and very arrogant and I am surprised that a hotel of this standard employes her. Note to the GM of this hotel, your Front Office staff and general check-in is very bad and lets your fabulous product down. We had to stand in line for 30 minutes after flying 10 hours to get to Vegas and then the check-in process took 25 minutes and we were given completely the wrong information about our package. The rooms you can not fault, they are great and the bathroom is amazing. Again you are let down by the slack housekeeping (when they feel like coming) and also the noise. We had a room in the East Tower that looked over the Marquee nightclub and although we ourselves like to party, a break from the constant boom boom boom would have been nice especially at midnight to 5 am when you are trying to get some sleep or during the day when you fancy a break from the heat! oh and by the way, if you do want to go to the 'Day Club' (basically another pool in the hotel) you have to spend a certain amount on beverages and pay an extra $50 to use a sunlounger - yes in the hotel that you have already paid to stay in?!?!?

On a positive note, the other pools, restaurants, bars and gambling areas are great and worked well for the six of us. We could always get a sunlounger when we wanted and the pool staff are very friendly and helpful. The Wicked Spoon buffet is great although a bit of a mission to get there if you are staying in the East Tower.

This is the first tripadvisor review that I have ever written, usually I dont bother if I have a compliant but on this occasion I felt justifyed to give my opinion as I honestly couldnt believe how I was spoken to upon check-out which then made me mad about the smaller things that usually I would have grumbled in private about. Having stayed in 6 different hotels in Vegas, this is the nicest product but given the service and general bad attitude, I probably wouldnt want to return, there are older hotels on the strip that may not be as pretty but have the customer service down to a fine art!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isnt overlooking the nightclub
Chula Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Like many people, I was hesitant to stay here after all the mixed reviews, but I was so glad that I did. We checked in on a Monday morning and our room was ready at 9:00 am. When we got the room, one of the TVs did not work, so we called Beck & Call. Within 3 minutes, a repairman was in our room to reset the cable. (He must've been on our floor, but regardless, he was quick.) The TVs worked perfectly after that. The Boulevard Pool was great - a very "chill" atmosphere. The pool is very shallow, so it allows you to lay around and have a drink while soaking in the sun. The staff around the pool were amazing and kept the pool clean. Anytime there was an empty bottle or clean plate, it was picked up within minutes. When we were in the pool, the staff straightened out our towels, added ice to our ice bucket, straightened out our magazines, etc. Holsteins's and Wicked Spoon were great - a little pricey, but so is everything else in Vegas. There is no need to leave this hotel. Everything you need is within it. I would highly recommend The Cosmopolitan and can't wait to go back!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I and 4 freinds stayed at the Cosmo for 6 nights in June.
I'd been avidly reading Trip Advisor, and was very wary of all the bad reviews.
On check in we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff. I started by saying that we would like a room overlooking the fountains. Unfortunately, the type of room we'd booked was not available on that side, but he immediatley offered us a one bedroom on that side at no extra cost. This would not be available for a while, and after reading that some people didn't get in their rooms for hours, we were reluctant to wait. Then he offered us an upgrade to a wraparound suite,which we had to pay a nominal amount for. We thought this seemed like a good deal, so said yes.
Well all I can say is WOW! I've never seen such an amazing suite,with the biggest balcony which looked over 2 aspects. Everything about the rooms is of the best quality and finish. Our friends arrived the next day, and unfortunately didn't get offered the same deal, but their rooms were just as nice.
The pools were lovely, we were in the East tower, so used the Boulevard pool most days. Be warned, it's not for swimming in. A large part of it is very shallow, you can lay and sunbathe laying on the bottom. In the heat of the day, this was a nice way to cool down.
We were up early every day, but by about 8.45am, the free beds all round the pool were taken. It is possible to pay and reserve some of the beds, but I gather this is very expensive. One day this pool was closed as there was a band performing there that evening. This seemed a bit odd,they'd drained the pool by 8am, but we went to the Bamboo pool in the West tower instead. That was really nice, a little less space but a deeper pool.
The whole place is stunning.
The bars were beautiful, Bond, Chandelier ,Vesper all great.
The Wicked Spoon Buffet was fantastic. It was also another perk of our upgrade to eat breakfast free there every day. It's well worth paying for though.
We ate at Holsteins, which was great, but China Poblamo got the thumbs down. Quite small portions of some things, and that's unheard of in the U.S. in our experience,(we're from U.K.). Not good value, and a very confusing menu.
I will definatley stay at the Cosmopolitan again. It's not too big, so has an intimate feel. I would also be happy to stay in the Westside Tower. It really isn't far from casino, and the pool is nice.
One of our friends had not made sure to ask for a room not facing the Marquee Club, and they could here the music till late,although it didn't keep them awake. This is only a problem in the Eastside tower.
We're all in our forties, and didn't feel out of place. It's a great hotel for all ages.

Room Tip: Get to the pool early.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas? Share your experiences!