“Great Hotel, Worst Service EVER!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15% In Las Vegas
Ranked #35 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Worst Service EVER!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I recently stayed at The Cosmo Hotel in Las Vegas and let me tell you, this hotel as a product is amazing. The decor, atmosphere and property in general is fabulous but is completely let down by the Front Desk Staff, the noise from the nightclub and housekeeping. WARNING to all International guests, your breakfast is not free and when they tell you that you have a $50 credit per day to spend in any food and beverage outlet this is also a lie and you will be faced with a nice bill upon checkout. Dont bother arguing with the extremely rude and arrogant staff as they will just tell you tough luck and have a nice day. Lana Le the Resort Manager is the rudest member of staff that I have ever encountered, she was unhelpful and very arrogant and I am surprised that a hotel of this standard employes her. Note to the GM of this hotel, your Front Office staff and general check-in is very bad and lets your fabulous product down. We had to stand in line for 30 minutes after flying 10 hours to get to Vegas and then the check-in process took 25 minutes and we were given completely the wrong information about our package. The rooms you can not fault, they are great and the bathroom is amazing. Again you are let down by the slack housekeeping (when they feel like coming) and also the noise. We had a room in the East Tower that looked over the Marquee nightclub and although we ourselves like to party, a break from the constant boom boom boom would have been nice especially at midnight to 5 am when you are trying to get some sleep or during the day when you fancy a break from the heat! oh and by the way, if you do want to go to the 'Day Club' (basically another pool in the hotel) you have to spend a certain amount on beverages and pay an extra $50 to use a sunlounger - yes in the hotel that you have already paid to stay in?!?!?

On a positive note, the other pools, restaurants, bars and gambling areas are great and worked well for the six of us. We could always get a sunlounger when we wanted and the pool staff are very friendly and helpful. The Wicked Spoon buffet is great although a bit of a mission to get there if you are staying in the East Tower.

This is the first tripadvisor review that I have ever written, usually I dont bother if I have a compliant but on this occasion I felt justifyed to give my opinion as I honestly couldnt believe how I was spoken to upon check-out which then made me mad about the smaller things that usually I would have grumbled in private about. Having stayed in 6 different hotels in Vegas, this is the nicest product but given the service and general bad attitude, I probably wouldnt want to return, there are older hotels on the strip that may not be as pretty but have the customer service down to a fine art!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isnt overlooking the nightclub
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,011)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chula Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Like many people, I was hesitant to stay here after all the mixed reviews, but I was so glad that I did. We checked in on a Monday morning and our room was ready at 9:00 am. When we got the room, one of the TVs did not work, so we called Beck & Call. Within 3 minutes, a repairman was in our room to reset the cable. (He must've been on our floor, but regardless, he was quick.) The TVs worked perfectly after that. The Boulevard Pool was great - a very "chill" atmosphere. The pool is very shallow, so it allows you to lay around and have a drink while soaking in the sun. The staff around the pool were amazing and kept the pool clean. Anytime there was an empty bottle or clean plate, it was picked up within minutes. When we were in the pool, the staff straightened out our towels, added ice to our ice bucket, straightened out our magazines, etc. Holsteins's and Wicked Spoon were great - a little pricey, but so is everything else in Vegas. There is no need to leave this hotel. Everything you need is within it. I would highly recommend The Cosmopolitan and can't wait to go back!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I and 4 freinds stayed at the Cosmo for 6 nights in June.
I'd been avidly reading Trip Advisor, and was very wary of all the bad reviews.
On check in we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff. I started by saying that we would like a room overlooking the fountains. Unfortunately, the type of room we'd booked was not available on that side, but he immediatley offered us a one bedroom on that side at no extra cost. This would not be available for a while, and after reading that some people didn't get in their rooms for hours, we were reluctant to wait. Then he offered us an upgrade to a wraparound suite,which we had to pay a nominal amount for. We thought this seemed like a good deal, so said yes.
Well all I can say is WOW! I've never seen such an amazing suite,with the biggest balcony which looked over 2 aspects. Everything about the rooms is of the best quality and finish. Our friends arrived the next day, and unfortunately didn't get offered the same deal, but their rooms were just as nice.
The pools were lovely, we were in the East tower, so used the Boulevard pool most days. Be warned, it's not for swimming in. A large part of it is very shallow, you can lay and sunbathe laying on the bottom. In the heat of the day, this was a nice way to cool down.
We were up early every day, but by about 8.45am, the free beds all round the pool were taken. It is possible to pay and reserve some of the beds, but I gather this is very expensive. One day this pool was closed as there was a band performing there that evening. This seemed a bit odd,they'd drained the pool by 8am, but we went to the Bamboo pool in the West tower instead. That was really nice, a little less space but a deeper pool.
The whole place is stunning.
The bars were beautiful, Bond, Chandelier ,Vesper all great.
The Wicked Spoon Buffet was fantastic. It was also another perk of our upgrade to eat breakfast free there every day. It's well worth paying for though.
We ate at Holsteins, which was great, but China Poblamo got the thumbs down. Quite small portions of some things, and that's unheard of in the U.S. in our experience,(we're from U.K.). Not good value, and a very confusing menu.
I will definatley stay at the Cosmopolitan again. It's not too big, so has an intimate feel. I would also be happy to stay in the Westside Tower. It really isn't far from casino, and the pool is nice.
One of our friends had not made sure to ask for a room not facing the Marquee Club, and they could here the music till late,although it didn't keep them awake. This is only a problem in the Eastside tower.
We're all in our forties, and didn't feel out of place. It's a great hotel for all ages.

Room Tip: Get to the pool early.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My wife and I arrived for a three night stay on 20th. June. Reception was great, we were offered an upgrade at a reasonable cost and accepted. We explained that we had a late flight on the Thursday of leaving and our receptionist indicated that we could have the room until 1.30pm, which he noted, he further indicated that we should visit reception on the day of leaving to try and extend this. He also entered into the system that we were entitled to a complimentary breakfast each day.
The hotel is very smart with a good deal of 'high tech'. Light switches are all over the place in rooms and not always easy to find which operates which light. The tv system also activates this function, but the handset would noy always work so it was a scramble to find the appropriate light switch.
The room itself was well furnished and very comfortable, however, although we set the air con for 65 the lowest room temperature we could achieve was 75* - far too hot in the conditions.
Breakfasts were very good again the hotel let itself down badly on service. On the last morning we had to queue for about 15 minutes as part of the restaurant was closed, when we asked why we were informed that the staff in that section were on a break. While I fully support staff comforts surely at 9.30am managers should ensure that the facility of a breakfast restaurant is operating fully. Certainly not a 5 star performance. Although it was acknowledged that our breakfasts were complimentary they had to be invoiced ane we were told that they would automatically be deleted from the bill at departure.
On our last mornig I visited the front desk to enquire about a possible later departure. I was told that 12md was the latest possible. In view of what I had been told on arrival I asked to see a Manager. This person insisted that 1pm was the latest she was prepared to offer although she did say I could pay for another full day. She simply would not believe that I had already been informed of a later time on my arrival. In short she suggested I was lying. A more senior manager was eventually summoned, he insisted taht the hotel was full and thus he could not extend further [surprising when I had been told that I could pay for another full day]. His junior sttod and glared at me with utter contempt during the conversation, afact I commented upon at which her manager asked her to leave. Again My comments about agreements at arrival were disregarded, although when i promised further complaints our room was made available until 3pm.
I was then directed to a series of screens to enable me to confirm flights/print boarding cards etc. - you've guessed it none of them worked. I treid to book out via the tv in my room, but this was not possible as the final bill was incorrect, yes the breakfasts had been charged.
Still happily things got better weh I returned to reception. I was met by the person who had originally booked us in. He corrected evrything. He agreed with the original time that he had given me and insisted that it had been entered on the computer system he also confirmed that he had properly entered the complimentary breakfasts. I came away with the feeling that he was far better at customer service than his line managers who need some serious traning.
Overall a smart.upmarket hotel the fabric is good but it is seriously compromised by staff who are prepared to treat customers with comtempt.
We had use of a kitchen area but no knives spoons, plates etc were provided and we only discovered that these had to be requested from staff - pity no comment was made in the room via a notice or perhaps on the tv menu system. Although the room was clean the 'trash' was not emptied until the last day. In the heat this could have been a real problem.

Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Just got back from a 2 night stay at The Cosmopolitan. the staff couldn't have been more friendly and welcoming. The cocktails in the Chandelier Bar are delicious! The rooms are fantastic...very cosmopolitan chic! The breakfast at the Wicked Spoon Buffet was everything you could ask for and more...we arrived in from our night out at 9am and were greeted with a delicious Mimosa and could have spent all day trying to taste everything at the buffet! Thank you for a fabulous stay...we will definitely be returning soon!!!! Thanks to Flo on reception who welcomed us in the best possible way by giving us a room with spectacular views of the Eiffel Tower and Bellagio fountain... we loved it...can't wait to return!

Room Tip: ask...be polite and friendly...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Our trip started at Gatwick with a 4 hour delay with Virgin Atlantic. The first plane broke down and everyone had to disembark and go back to the departure lounge and wait for further instructions. Changed planes and landed in Las Vegas at 17.15 instead of 14.00.Arrived at The Cosmopolitan at about 18.15 and check-in lines were about 10 people deep at each desk. This been a Friday i think these lines were acceptable. Our turn to check in after a wait of 20 mins.We had prebooked our room a Terrace Studio-Premium View and paid upfront for the 7 nights we were to stay.Checkin clerk told us they had run out of our room type and would DOWN GRADE us to a City Room and give us $100 resort credit. We were tired and just wanted to have a bath so we went to look at the room. First impression of the the room was very good. Larger than expected with 2 queen beds.BUT.There is always a but. This room did not have a bath only a shower with glass doors leading from the bedroom through to the bathroom which we did not want. Also these rooms Do Not Have a Terrace-Balcony. Wife was not happy at all over this down grade.Luckly I had emailed a Resort Services Supervisor before our holidays because of other trip reports of this happening. A phone call to said Supervisor and a deal was done to Upgrade us to a Wrap Round Suite for 2 nights for $75 a night extra. Room keys were changed automatic so we did not need to return to front desk. Into our upgrade room and it was Massive.1200 sq. ft of living space. Pictures do not do these rooms justice. As we were tired after the long flight we took a bath and went to bed. Then the music from the Marquee night club started. We were 8 story’s above this club. The noise was loud. And i mean LOUD. The room shook with every beat of the bass. This club opens at 9pm and shuts at 5am.No sleep for us this night till after 5am.The club then reopens at 9am as the Marquee Day Club. Same volume all day long till it shuts at about 7pm.Down to Front Desk to ask about a move. They could move us on Sunday and would Upgrade us to a Terrace Suite free of charge. Only one more night in our Music room. Same again on the Saturday night but i seemed louder. The lights in the room were rattling to the beats. We used the room credit at Comme Ça and would rate this restaurant very highly. Sunday we moved to our new room. On the same floor but away from the night club. These Terrace Suites are the hidden gems in this hotel. 910 sq. ft.of living pleasure. Full kitchen with microwave fridge freezer etc. Lounge area with a walk through to bedroom and into bathroom. These rooms have a Jacuzzi type bath with a massive shower in main bathroom + second bathroom with a shower only near kitchen area. Sliding doors from lounge and Bedroom onto a massive terrace balcony overlooking Fountains of Bellagio hotel.Heaven.No music from night club.Stayed in this room for the remaining 5 nights and loved every minute of it.As we were International guests we had Free Breakfasts at The Wicked Spoon buffet every day.The food is very good and saved us a lot of money.Las Vegas food prices have gone through the roof over the last couple of years.Would i stay at this hotel again.Easy answer is YES but in a Terrace Suite Premium View only.

Tampere, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We had a blast in Cosmo! The room, the view, the buffee and services, the whole nine yards was incredible. Some minor issues with the meal plan included to our package as we got several slightly different answers what was included and how we should use it. Anyhows that was also well taken care off at the check out.

Will recommend to all.

Room Tip: one bedroom, the premium strip view higher floors
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas? Share your experiences!