“YOUNG and Hip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 271 Hotels in Las Vegas
Ormond Beach
“YOUNG and Hip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Very large, modern hotel with hip decor and large suites. The nightclub scene and casino were certainly catering to the very young (20s and early 30s) hip set. We stayed in a large suite with a seperate bedroom, two bathrooms, a full kitchen and even a washer and dryer! The ammenities were excellent and housekeeping was average. The Wicked Spoon buffet restaurant was excellent! Our suite overlooked the Bellagio fountains in the West tower, which was ideal as it was also very quiet on that sie of the hotel. Pool areas small and sparce compared to other competing hotels. Spa was very nice and upscale though a bit pricey even for the market.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,875)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Providence, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

There are 2 towers at the Cosmopolitan-the East and the West. If you stay in the East tower you'll get the noise, bass and crowd that frequents the club (Marquee, Google it!) located there. Even on the top floor you won't get quiet until 3 or 4 am. BUT, in the West Tower you'll have peace and quiet, rest assured-you may not even see a fellow guest in the hall. And West tower with a north view gets you the Bellagio fountains, south view is City Center which is like a morgue if that's your cup of tea, but still visually interesting. Cosmo is a high energy joint, but you can pick and choose. Like, the Boulevard pool is supercharged, but if you're like me you might like the Bamboo pool (relatively sedate) on the 14th floor West tower. Don't judge the whole place on first impressions of the lobby, which can be electric on weekend check-ins, complete with young crowds and a lot of eye candy, making for the club.
John Unwin should be applauded for the job he's doing-despite the growing pains ALL new joints experience, he's at the helm of something truly new, different and exciting on the Strip.
Frank Iacobbo

Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for five days over Memorial Weekend and fell in love with the hotel. The front desk staff were very helpful and we were even upgraded since our room wasn't ready when we checked in - and we checked in four hours early! We also requested a north-facing room overlooking the Bellagio fountains which was so amazing since we could sit on our terrace and watch the show each night. Bell service and concierge were very helpful and always friendly during the entire length of our stay. Couple tips - First, there is a "secret" pizza place on the 3rd floor that is not marked but if you ask the staff they will direct you where to go. The pizza is so delicious whether it's 4 in the afternoon or 4 in the morning. Second, they have three pools and advertise the Marquee pool as an adults-only pool Great, but the only problem is they expect a $200 f&b minimum to sit up there so save your money and relax at one of the other two pools. We were able to find seats every day we went and the pool staff will even help you find seats if you need their assistance. Oh - and FREE wifi throughout the hotel - which is rare in Vegas. Next time I am in Vegas, this is definitely where I will stay.

Room Tip: North-facing room towards Bellagio fountains
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011 via mobile

A beautiful hotel means nothing if staff are rude .

• Stayed May 2011
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

We traveled to The Cosmopolitan May 18 for 3 nights. I booked this trip as a surprise trip for my mom’s birthday. I chose the cosmopolitan because of the location and the pictures. We have stayed at the tower suites at The Mirage, Palazzo, Caesars Palace, and the Vdara, so I had many hotels in Vegas to compare this hotel to.

I read trip advisor reviews before booking, I know newer hotels tend to have worse reviews than others, so I didn't have high expectations, but since it was one of the most expensive hotels offered and it was beautiful I figured it would be nice. It was very nice, the location was perfect, the balconies were amazing, the hotel was beautiful, but the service and management were terrible.

Check-in: ‘DJ’ checked us in, we booked a 1 bedroom Terrance suite, but during check in he said he would 'upgrade' us to a premium view 1 bedroom facing the entire strip, where we would see Paris, the Bellagio Fountains, etc. We were very excited, but that excitement came to an end when we arrived to our room and saw we had a view of the Bellagio Garage... I called to speak with DJ, which I was told he was unavailable, and that I must have 'misunderstood' the view I was supposed to have, I told him I don’t believe I ‘misunderstood’ anything, he continued to talk down to me, he was very rude. He then put me on forever hold when I asked to speak to the manager. I called back, again, finally was able to speak with DJ, who said he didn’t know the hotel set up, and then moved us to a Terrance Suite facing the view he promised. After waiting another 1 hour for our keys to arrive, we had to move our luggage once again (on our own ) to the West Tower room. The room given to us was very large and beautiful, it had 2 full baths, full kitchen, huge balcony, separate bedroom and a great view.

More about the room: The housekeeping was not up to par, we were not given any additional soap then what was offered during our arrival, she did not stock our towels, we had to call daily for more. I called for breakfast for room service, I ordered @ $50 worth of food to surprise my mom for her birthday. When I asked for the total, I was told it was $102. I asked her to please go through this bill for me. She told me that it is a automatic 18% gratuity, $5.00 service charge, and then a charge to use their utensils (so I guess that is about an additional $30.00). I told her to cancel my order; I was not paying an extra $50 for breakfast to be delivered to me! Also, the West Tower was quiet, until Friday when the club opened; we heard the ‘boom boom’ from the music being so loud all night! I can only imagine how loud the East Tower is.

The beds are so comfortable, down feather blankets/pillows. The robes are also very soft. We also enjoyed having free internet since we brought our laptops.

The room does not offer any plates, silverware, or coffee, you have to buy the coffee from the room for $7, and it is very strong.

Initially we requested a late check out since our flight did not leave until 6:00pm, DJ informed us that he put in the request and that would be fine. We called the next day to make sure we had it, and they said there was no note of a late checkout, and he would put in the request. After that, we called the day of our departure to make sure we had the lake check out, and they said it was never entered, but that would be fine. Around 12pm that day of the departure, we had a service manager come to our room asking why we have not checked out, I had to once again tell them they said we could have the late checkout of 2pm, after the 4th time of going through this, they finally got it right.

The Good: Besides all of the management mishaps, which I think it is partially due since the property is allegedly owned by Deutche bank due to foreclosure, only being managed by the Marriott, the hotel is in the PERFECT location. It is next door to the Bellagio, and across from Planet Hollywood which has the Magnificent Shopping Mile, the stores are unbelievable there! There are many restaurants offered at the Cosmopolitan, but from what I hear you must book STK 2 weeks prior or else it is booked. The hotel is also very beautiful, the crystal chandelier bar is incredible, I’ve never seen anything so beautiful!

The pool: since we were in the West Tower, we went to the Bamboo Pool, it was great. We were out there by 9am, so we easily were able to get a chair, it was pretty full by 10am, where people where fighting for chairs. The pool was very quiet, the water temp was perfect, the chairs were clean and comfy, and the drinks (try the sangria) were yummy!

Shows: We saw the Lion King Musical at Mandalay Bay, wow what an incredible show!! If you are there before it ends in December, buy tickets! Out of any of the Broadway shows I have seen, this was one of the best. We also went to Peep Show starring Holly Madison, I am a big fan of her show on E! but all I can say is that was the biggest waste of $85 dollars per person (on sale from $120) we have ever paid, I want my money and my 2 hours back! The dancers had no talent, the show was boring, we ended up walking out early, the entire thing was a joke!

Overall, the hotel management was terrible, but I would visit this hotel again, it was very nice to have a balcony, and if you have a premium view it is worth every penny, the location was perfect, and the hotel was beautiful, but I won’t go until next year, so hopefully they get their act together. However, if you are looking for a more peaceful hotel with great service go to Vdara.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Medina, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

This was our first trip to Las Vegas and after reading some of the negative reviews about the Cosmopolitan, I was a little concerned about staying here. Those concerns were put to rest the moment we walked in! My husband and I had the best experience from check in to check out. We checked in about 5:30 pm on a Friday night, there was not a single person in line. The front desk clerk who checked us in, up graded us to a one bedroom from a studio when he found out we were celebrating a birthday. He asked if we wanted a room with the Bellagio view, that might be a little loud due to the club bellow or a quiet room. We opted for a good night sleep and went with the quiet room. Unfortunately, my only complaint would be it wasn't as quiet as I would have liked. Lots of beat from the club bellow. But Hey, it's Vegas! The front desk clerk also noted that I requested feather free pillows, due to allergies. Once we made it to the room, 10 minutes later housekeeping was there with several feather free pillows!!! This was great.

The room was fabulous! Decorated hollywood glam, very fun. We were there for 5 nights and I loved having all the closet space. I thought the giant walk in shower was great as was the soaking tub. The fact you could control everything with the remote on the tv had my husband playing with with all the controls; lights, air, you name it. We did not run into any glitches like some earlier reviews. One tip I read in an earlier review, buy Senseo coffee pods for the coffee maker, you can get them at Target. It will save you from purchasing coffee from the mini bar. (If Marriott wants their name attached to this hotel, the least they could do is have free in room coffee, but until then, by Senseo.)

The pools are lovely, but we were there to sight see and gamble so we did not use the pools.

The Night Life does cater to a younger crowd, if you own six inch heels girls, wear them here, you will fit in just fine! We had a great time just people watching. The Casino was pretty loud near the club and the tables do have higher limits, we actually did most of our gambling at the Bellagio next door, much more our speed. The mornings were great at the Cosmo, because everyone is up so late partying, you basically have the place to yourself in the morning.

The morning we were leaving we ordered room service for breakfast, it was wonderful and one of the best meals we had, loved the whole set up. Wishing we had done this every morning!

We also loved the valet parking. Every time we arrived at the hotel, we were always pleasantly greeted. When we would leave, they would give us bottles of water and always asked if we needed directions on where we were going.

We love Las Vegas and our stay at The Cosmopolitan was wonderful, we can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: West Tower has the quiet rooms!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Cosmopolitan is the 'hot spot' of Vegas right now. Let's be clear about what this hotel is and what it is not. It is NOT a luxury hotel. It is an overpriced party hotel that is not going to survive long term if it continues to be run the way it is. The service (what service?) is AWFUL. Unfriendly, unhelpful staff who appear completely lost and uninterested in how to do their jobs. I often asked staff members questions about the pool, the restauraunts, the clubs and I often recieved blank stares and "I don't know" answers which would be fine - but it ended there! No attempt to find another staff member who could help or offer to follow-up with me. From the beginning, the front desk clerk did not offer any details about the hotel, ask if I had any questions (I did actually) or make me feel welcome in any way. My biggest complaint would be the pool. The Cabana "Manager" was one of the rudest, most dismissive people I have ever met (I was interested in renting a Cabana), but he could not be bothered and had no information for me (he actually told me this and then proceeded to scold a cocktail waitress in front of us for providing us 'incorrect' information on pricing). It was absolutely appauling. To summarize, I will NOT be returning to the Cosmopolitan. I will be taking my business - and my money - to one of the other fun Vegas hotels where service for guests is somewhat important.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas? Share your experiences!