“Oasis in the desert” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Indiana
“Oasis in the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I made these reservations in April- since then have lost my father and had a busy, sad and hectic few weeks. I joined my husband on his business trip and to view for my business the property.
I cannot say enough glowing remarks in regard to the property. From my first encounter with reservations and the graciousness of Alexandra Ziegler to the very end, no detail was over looked and no request gone unattended.
The plus of this property is the lack of a casino. I do not love Vegas and the strip for long and could have stayed here days more.
The rooms are vast. A lovely closet/dressing area and spacious double sink vanity, separate toilet/shower and separate soaking tub. Well appointed with great make up mirror. Only complaint would be the toiletry items- even with my good eyes I could not read what was what while showering- the mfg. needs to address the packaging! The bathroom was just like at home.
It has glass partitions and I could suggest a blind to keep out the light while one is dressing and the other asleep.
We had AC issues, but then again it was 115 or so! They sent engineers right away and a floor fan and offered to move us ( declined, too tired) The problem was remedied and was a great escape from the intense heat wave.
Pool perfect size and the attendants Thursday-Saturday the A team! Every time you could turn around a smiling face was offering ice water or beverage of choice. The food delicious- well prepared and fresh and reasonable for pool service. They even cooked one half of my burger for lunch and the other half later as I was not all that hungry to begin with. (Alan a great staff person- !) These people had to be suffering in the heat but were there with smiles.
The gym, clean and well appointed. I took a reforming class with Mary Jane- she knew quite well what she was doing and made sure safety was addressed. From my experience I know that she is well qualified and an asset to the Mandarin. I did not have the time to use a spa service but questioned a few who did and they seemed well satisfied.
We used Joe Moracco. He steered us to a great show and made a dinner recommendation that was spot on for what we wanted to do. We just wanted a quiet meal and were glad that we used his choice.
I had breakfast each day- perfectly poached eggs each day- there is complimentary coffee each am until 8am. The staff all welcoming and professional. They even found me a Sunday NYTIMES last in the morning to enjoy with my coffee.
The location for a serious shopper -- perfect, right across from the Crystal shopping.
All and all, a really perfect hotel in my mind... hotel limo offered when there were no cabs... nice was to end my stay. I have stayed at the Bellagio and the Venetian- had dinner meeting at the Wynn. I like the smallness of this property much better...

Room Tip: When we first arrived we were given a room by the elevator. We were moved, and as our room was not r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This hotel was perfect! Walking forever through those giant casino hotels gets exhausting--it is so refreshing to be in Vegas and be able to go straight from the lobby to your room. The rooms are beautiful, though not exceptionally large. Well laid out, with all the amenities a top-hotel can offer, including iphone jacks that hook into a room-speaker system. The bathroom is beautiful. The best thing was that there was no noise from other guests audible in the room, so it was a quiet and serene escape.

The spa services were amazing. I had a Chinese Foot Treatment, and it was so relaxing that I fell asleep half-way through! Every detail is thought of, including a warming pillow for your torso and one for your eyes. The jacuzzi, fancily named the Vitality Pool, has individual recliner beds in it with your own bubble jets. It looks out on a giant bay of windows through which you can see the lights of Vegas.

The bar at the 23rd floor Sky Lobby has a view of all of the strip, and at night it is incredible.

The food at the cafe MOzen is soooo good. I had lunch and breakfast there, and except for a slight mixup with one of my main dishes, it was superb. Great service, excellent food.

I highly recommend the Mandarin--I don't think we'll stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I came to Vegas for EDC, so I decided that rather than saying in a casino hotel that was going to be busy 24/7, I figured I would need some peace and tranquility to recuperate during the day from the crazy nights out on the Speedway. So I picked the MO over the Cosmo as a place to stay during the weekend, and I was glad I did.

This isn't the typical Las Vegas hotel. There's no casino in the lobby, there are no tour groups checking in, and the noise and energy levels in all areas of the hotel are low. If you want a place to relax and enjoy the services a hotel can offer, this is the hotel to be in. The rooms are beautiful, spacious, and both the bathroom and bathtub have plenty of space for two. If you want a high-energy, party hotel, then I'd recommend the Cosmo.

I loved my stay at the MO, and while I won't be staying here the next time I'm in Vegas, it is not the hotel's fault at all, I just want to try the Cosmo since I'll be there to party. I would not hesitate to recommend the MOLV to anyone going to Vegas, although I would say to keep your expectations on Twist in check. I wrote a review on Yelp for that.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the Mandarin Oriental. It provides a tranquil and relaxing environment - a big plus is no casino/theme etc, which keeps the crowds away. It is centrally located- easy to get a cab, walk, or use the shuttles. The staff are very customer service focussed (something we didn't see everywhere in Las Vegas!) and the rooms a delight. Many of the room functions are controlled via the TV screen (curtains, Air con etc) and there is even a TV in the bathroom mirror. Nice shower gels etc provided and bathroom well equipped with straighteners and a hairdryer. Room service was prompt and food good. We didn't get as far as trying the bar on the 23rd floor but the views were great. The nightly 'turn down' service featured rose petals and bottled water - a nice touch.
Improvements? Complimentary tea and coffee was on offer between 6am and 8am - too early for us and I suspect quite a few others on leisure trips. The room had a kettle and herbal tea sachets - these were nice but proper tea and coffee making facilities would have been better.
This hotel provided an excellent retreat when the cacophony of the Strip became too much.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed at this wonderful for a week in the middle of June this year. As a non-gaming, non-smoking hotel it certainly offered fantastic respite from the heat, bustle and sheer lunacy of most of LV - much as we love it, it's sometimes good to get away!
We had a Premium room, which was spacious and welcoming. Standards of cleanliness were extremely high. One little niggle - they were a bit mean with replacing the toiletries, and we often found ourselves with no shower gel.
Morning coffee was included with the "resort fee" of $24 per day (a rip off, but widespread practice in LV I understand). However, this was only available from 6 am to 8 am each day! Why?? Oh yeah, so you'd buy a full breakfast in the hotel. Silly me ...
The only other surprise was that we weren't personally shown to our room, which is normal practice in a hotel at this level. Fortunately the very charming guy who brought up our luggage took it on himself to demonstrate all the amenities. One if many fabulous staff.
Would I return? Jury's out ...

• Stayed June 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

So calm, so refined, so visually beautiful...what more can one say? A beautiful oasis in the midst of pandemonium! The international staff is well trained. Service is quick and efficient. Rooms are lovely including the bathrooms and the walk-in storage/closet area. Others have described the technology systems for the rooms. Works like a charm. My spouse and I have previously stayed at the Wynne and Bellagio. Avoiding the "casino scene" is a major reason we tried the Mandarin Oriental. The crowds on the sidewalks do not fine their way into the hotel's entry point and yet the building is directly on the strip. The entrance is cleverly hidden! The pool deck is lovely and the few children are well-behaved. I think the design of the two pools (slightly over-sized lap pools) sends the message that these are not "kiddie pools".

The pool cabanas are a "better deal" than one might think. The cost includes the same amount in food and alcoholic beverage credits. Soft drinks, water, pitchers of lemonade and iced tea are complimentary. One can take bottles of fine wines or food items back to their room if the food/beverage consumption did not equal the price of the cabana.

We have decided that if our future travel plans take us back to Vegas, the Mandarin Oriental will be our only choice.

Room Tip: Nearly everyone raves about the strip view rooms, but why spend the extra $? We did, but the view i...
Tallahassee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just another rave review for the Mandarin Oriental (MO). My wife and I took advantage of a "book two nights get third night free" promotion. The room was nothing like we've stayed in before. No strangers to high end hotels, the MO clearly stands in a class by itself. The in room technology (every function tastefully automated), showpiece bath area and insanely comfortable bed are exceptional in every respect. The sights, smells, and soothing ambiance elicit a profound sense of tranquility in a city atmosphere not renown for quietude. The staff is attentive and friendly but never smothering. The lack of a casino in the hotel is a plus but the "on strip" location puts all Vegas activities within easy walking distance. In-hotel prices for food and beverages, though on a par with other high end establishments, are still up there: i.e. $21 for a glass of decent Chardonnay, $24 for an American breakfast, $9 for cashews in the minibar. That said, there are many less expensive eating and drinking alternatives all within easy walking distance. The Aria Resort and Casino next door has a great buffet for a reasonable price considering the variety offered. Bottom line: the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas is a head and shoulders cut above the rest and a truly amazing experience not just a stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas? Share your experiences!