“top notch hotel, a real gem” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #1 of 273 hotels in Las Vegas
Sonoma, California
“top notch hotel, a real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We had an outstanding stay at the Mandarin Oriental. From check-in to check-out, the service was just right -- friendly and attentive without being obnoxious and intrusive. Rooms were large, very clean and beautifully appointed. We ate dinner and breakfast at Mozen, and it was innovative and relatively good value. The hotel is large, but because of its clever design, it feels more like a boutique hotel, and not like one of the other mammoths on the strip. The architecture and the personalized service make the place seem accessible and not exhaustingly large. The hotel is beautiful too -- with fresh flowers everywhere and candles lit along the hallways at night. We also loved the pool area. The location is great too -- convenient to the new City Center (really worth a visit) and to the strip. All in all, our extended family group (from grandma who is 90) to our youngest child who is 8, had a wonderful stay. Indeed the latter, having witnessed the fuss made over us at check-in whispered to me, "Mom, they must think we're somebody famous!" The hotel is not cheap, but given the experience delivered, it's an excellent value.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

2,785 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

The hotel is in a good central location on the strip.
Check in staff were very helpful and polite on arrival.
There was no free wifi unfortunately, rates were very high so we didn't pay for it as we were only there for one night.
Breakfast also wasn't included in our rate so can't comment on this.
We had a double cityscape room (room 1423) which was very nice, big and clean. Large bathroom with separate bath and shower cubicle, two hand basins which was nice. The bed was very comfortable.
Would recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Gorgeous hotel; gracious staff - but in a way it is expected. Lobby and hallways very beautifully done - very soothing. My city scape room was lovely. Very well appointed probably the best I've seen in Vegas. Very nice bathroom and unique concept with the glass to let in light. Room is adequate in size but not big. It makes very good use of space.

Spa seemed nice but was very dark - hard to even see! Can't beat the Encore in this area. The pool was nice and the staff again gracious - but the pool is nothing special compared to Wynn or Encore.

Room service was good but very expensive so I would call it above average. I didn't check out the two restaurants but neither seemed that compelling. One time I will try Twist.

This is a perfect place to really get away from it all.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Cancun, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We just spent 3 nights in the Mandarin as part of a 20 day vacation. I chose this hotel based on quality, location, no gaming and smoke free. We got off to a poor start when we arrived. We had driven 4 hours from LA and we not offered water or a cool towel as others have reported. We were taken up to the 23rd floor lobby and told that our room was not ready at 4:30pm. My comment to the receptionist was "isn't your check I time 3pm?". She apologized and offered us a drink and to have a seat in the lobby. After 20 minutes of waiting she returned to say that she was doing her best to hurry. I told her that she should look for another suite that was ready because it's un-acceptable that I should be kept waiting. Ten minutes later she came back with an upgraded suite on the 16th floor.
The suite was amazing! When we opened the door the curtains opened and the lights turned on. The room was very large, had beautiful views and was full of high tech gadgets. The service in the hotel was very good almost all of the time but there were a few details that kept me from giving the hotel a rating of 5. The room service seemed to be a little off. We ordered a hamburger ($28) medium and they brought it well down. The urged tasted good but it wasn't how we ordered it. When I mentioned it to the receptionist they promptly removed it from our bill. Our package came with Continental breakfast included which was great because I would never pay $24 when you can have the full buffet at the Cosmo for $22. One morning my husband wanted eggs so we ordered to eggs over well ($12) and they came runny. In general everything tasted and looked great but for the price I think it should be perfect. The spa was by far the best spa I've ever been to but also pricey and worth every penny. As others have commented the parking is $30 a day and they do a great job having your car ready quickly. I paid $45 for 3 days of internet which seems like crazy money to me.
We loved our stay at the Mandarin and I will stay there again if we go back to Vegas. The fact that everything is so peaceful makes up for all of the little details.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

We stayed at the M.O. LV for three nights in Early May. Typically we stay at the Skylofts at the MGM however they were sold out due to an event forcing us to explore another option! Here are my take on the match-up between the M.O. vs Skylofts

Rooms – Skylofts wins hands down. We upgraded to the Dynasty suite at the M.O. and found it to have a great layout but the MO rooms just cannot compare to a dramatic two-story duplex with a wall of windows and a glass shower overlooking the strip. That is extremely sexy! The MO Apex suite was a bit cooler but the Skyloft spaces really do compliment the Vegas party mood.

Technology – Again Skylofts wins hands down. Their Crestron remote system is at least two steps higher on the food chain then the MO system. The MO is still high tech however it is just not as user friendly or advanced. The free movies and top end sound system put Skylofts well over the top. MO sound system was not properly hooked up to play my I phone music in the entire suite.

Car service – This category is a toss up but I’m awarding a slight advantage to the MO. It is really cool to arrive at the airport and be whisked away in the Skylofts Maybach however the ride only lasts 10 minutes and on one of our trips we ended up in an ugly MGM gold limo because the Maybach was not available. The MO has a courtesy Mercedes that is available for short trips around town as well as drop offs at the airport. It was the driver named Walter that makes this toss up go to the MO. He is an excellent employee! In the end often it is the staff that separates two exceptional properties.

Nightlife – There is no lounge at Skylofts so the MO wins this category as it has a great lounge on the 23rd floor. MGM has Studio 54 and many other bars but the MO view leaves nothing to compare. Everyone visiting Vegas should stop there for a drink.

Service – The M.O. staff wins this category by a nose. Don’t get me wrong - the Skylofts staff is excellent but the MO staff just seems a bit more polished, genuine, and a bit happier. At times the Skylofts staff seemed like a never-ending stream of tip hungry employees that are trying to make us feel welcome but always seem to have an eye on my wallet.

Pool – Both hotels have major shortcomings. Skylofts forces their guests into a massive pool area shared with all of the MGM guests. There is a “club “pool at MGM called Wet Republic but it irks me to pay $50 to gain access when I’m dropping $700+ for a room. The MO pool has a very calm Zen like vibe with great service and several cabanas but we found the pool way too dull for a Las Vegas property. In the end I'll take the MO over the zoo that is MGM's main pool deck. Advantage MO.

Spa - Not even close. The average strip mall massage parlor between a Denny's and a tattoo parlor could beat the MGM experience while the MO spa is damn near perfection. Expensive but very luxurious.

In conclusion I urge you to book at the MO. Ask for an 04 tier Apex suite or the 27 tier Dynasty suite and enjoy the trip. The staff will go above and beyond to make your experience unforgettable! It was my first stay at an M.O. property and I have become a “fan.” I know that we will be back soon

Three other individuals stood out Stephanie L at the front desk, Anthony at the pool, and Stephanie in the concierge desk All three excel at their jobs and are great ambassadors of this fine brand! Thanks again for the great experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel located on the Strip in Vegas. There's no casino in the hotel and it's not designed to have a lot of Vegas glitz and glamor. Instead it's very elegant and modern. The service is excellent and the rooms are beautiful. You can control your TV, curtains, thermostat, lights, wake-up call, and just about anything else in the room with a device the size of an iPad. I scheduled a wake-up at 7:00 a.m. that turned in the TV, opened the curtains, turned on the hallway light, and lowered the room temperature. Sort of ridiculous but fun if you like technology!

The rooms are very clean and nice. The bathroom is huge and features a lot of marble and tile. There's even a TV built into the bathroom mirror.

If you want to party and go crazy in Vegas, this hotel isn't for you. But if you want to be treated like a celebrity, this is the place for you. (in fact, I saw a well known celebrity out at the pool during my visit).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

We stayed for two nights at the end of a week driving through Arizona (and staying at much less expensive hotels). As soon as we entered the room, we were happy with the decision. We stayed in room 1515, which has a good view of the Strip. It has a good storage area, then a great bathroom with two basins, bath, shower and WC, and a very comfortable sleeping area, with sofa and desk/table. The TV and bedside console allow you to control the room temperature, lighting, curtains etc. WIFI was available for $6/hour, or $18 per 24 hours. The parking cost $30 per night. Staff were excellent, as was the outdoor swimming pool/bar.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas? Share your experiences!