“The secret's out” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“The secret's out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I want to thank thank the staff at the JW for making my 50th birthday celebration everything I wanted it to be and more. Everything, from the hospitality to the amenities, was perfect. So much so that I turned my wife from a Vegas detractor to a Vegas lover.

The key to changing her mind was having the Marriott as the centerpiece of our trip.

I have been coming to Las Vegas at least once a year for the last 10 years but getting my wife to come was like pulling teeth. So much so, she didn't care if I went by myself or with friends. She has been to Vegas before on business but stayed on the Strip and had to fight through the big hotels and the big crowds. For this trip, I told her I would take care of all the arrangements and told her to sit back and relax. She was skeptical but the further away we moved away from the city and got closer to Summerlin, the more she kept saying this doesn't feel like Vegas. When we finally got to the resort, she said "wow."

This hotel is not for everybody. Especially the people looking for that constant high energy vibe. There is no theme, no fountains, no hype. Just an elegant, well appointed setting away from it all. If you do want the big buzz, the strip is just 15 minutes down the road. We were able to hit the strip a few times for meals and we went to the Premium Outlet Mall just north of the strip for all of her shopping needs.

But when we were finished with all of that, we both enjoyed knowing that we would be coming back to our Marriott location. The Sunday jazz brunch, Connie's yoga classes and the poolside cabana had my wife wishing she could spend an extra day in town and asking if we can come back next year.

I'm not sure if the JW can do any better for my 51st birthday, but I'm more than willing to give them a shot.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
South OC, CA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was probably our eighth visit here and JW Marriott Vegas did not disappoint. From the initial greeting from the valet, to Aleksandra and her efforts to make us happy from the very get-go (offered us some really attractive room upgrade options but we declined knowing we wouldn't be in the room enough to completely enjoy it); this stay was probably the best yet. We stayed two nights in early Sept 2013 having booked a Travelzoo deal that couldn't be beat. Really low room rate, two free drinks each for each night, $30 resort credit, and some free play with the Casino player's club all made it an amazing value. About the only "con" would be that the rooms haven't been updated and some of the furniture is just a little rough around the edges. In fact, the fact that the furniture is of good quality which has allowed Marriott to put off a remodel for a while is actually a "pro"! This certainly must be helping to keep the rates down and allows us (being on a budget) to return once or twice a year :) Stayed in the standard King room which is a very spacious ~500 sq ft; huge and still elegant bathroom with big jacuzzi tub, separate shower and toilet room, double sinks; large walk-in closet; two comfortable chairs and table; desk and desk chair; and Juliet balcony with french doors. Ate at Speidini's one night, would strongly recommend. Service at the pool on the busy Labor Day weekend was perfect... the waitresses are friendly and attentive. Casino seemed a little less smoky... I could actually deal with it and I'm very sensitive to smoke. Will definitely come back... new reservations for over the Holidays are already made!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This time in Las Vegas we decided to skip the strip, and staying at JW Marriott.
We could get a great rate, so we had no excuses not to try this hotel.
The check-in was kind of frustrating: there were three ladies helping guests, but unfortunately the tone of their voices was so high and the "speech" so impersonal, that I had troubles listening.
The room was spacious, and the bathroom huge.
The pool area was slightly overcrowded in the afternoon (it was a weekend). Annoying the fact that they allow guests to "reserve" spots by placing towels (probably guests do that as soon as the pool opens). However, the pool and the pool area was beautiful and well kept and maintained. Sure, they should replace the furniture as well as the pool towels - not exactly JW Marriott standard - but given the bargain rate, I do not feel to complain too much.
Beautiful restaurant (Ceres) [we had breakfast only]: good food and good service.
Valet parking was included in the rate: handy because the parking lot is not so close to the lobby (however, we did not use this service).
The hotel is kind of far away from the strip, but if you try to avoid the traffic, it takes you 20 minutes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I were recently at the resort for two days while attending a friends wedding and it was beautiful. I have been to Vegas a few times before and this time I did not make it to the strip, but it didn't matter. Even though we were there for a wedding, I did get to experience almost everything the resort had to offer.

Pros:
-My husband is Marriott Platinum and they let me check in at 11:00am and upgraded us to a junior suite- beautiful
-The grounds are geaorgeous and so is the pool. Not even too hot in Vegas in August
-Got an app and a beer during happy hour at the Irish bar- very good and reasonably priced
-Spa with the water circuit is fantastic
-Concierge set my husband and his friends up for golf and the shuttle brought them back to the hotel afterwards
-Won at the casino!
-Did late night breakfast at the diner, very good
-Excellent Sunday brunch buffett
-Gym very nice

Cons:
-No Executive Lounge

Would love to return for some R & R away from the strip, but still with activities, casino and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Trenton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Instead of staying at the airport Fairfield Inn our team found an extraordinary offer from this hotel for midweek stays that was less cost. Why not enjoy the full resort experience including casino, spa, multiple restaurants while holding a small business meeting. The staff was great, they facility was outstanding. Although the location is a far from the strip, you can get there in about 15-20 minutes by car.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Overall, I was pleased with this hotel. It is quiet and clean and nicely temperature controlled. I'm not fond of the layout of the buildings since to get from my room to the lecture center I had to always pass through the casino and and smokers' smoke. But I suppose that's a Vegas thing. No matter where I ate, the food was quite delicious. All of the staff were courteous and friendly. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Henderson, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I had a very enjoyable and relaxing Spa"cation" for our 3rd Anniversary. The room was great and the spa treatment was excellent!! The service from the front desk staff and the Concierge, Denyse, was second to none! We had a great experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort, Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!