“Skip the strip. Bring your customer here.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Mill Creek, Washington, USA
“Skip the strip. Bring your customer here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Another Vegas tradeshow. This time we escaped the insane prices, overbearing noise and celebrity chef pretension of the restaurants on the strip and enjoyed a memorable dinner at Raku. Even with the $15 each way cab fare from Mandaly Bay our party of four came out ahead. With moderate drinks it is possible to have a very satisfying business dinner for $50 per person.

The meal was memorable not only because of the quality, but because of the uniqueness. This menu was a far cry from the sweetened seaweed salad and sticky sushi rolls that are the core of most Japanese restaurants. Each dish was an experience and each was excellent. Our server magnified the experience by offering step-by-step instructions on how to garnish and eat each dish. With the proper combination of Raku's homemade soy sauce, chili pepper and flavored salt we perfected the taste of several dishes - especially the homemade tofu. Highlights beyond the tofu included the shrimp (eat them whole) and the sashimi salad.

The only area Raku lacked was in the attentiveness of the service. Everyone was friendly and helpful, however plates could have been cleared faster between courses, drinks refilled faster and more frequent check-ins from the staff would have been appreciated.

The true measure of an experience is whether we share it with others. I've already told four other people about this restaurant and encouraged them to visit. Finding Raku is almost enough to make me look forward to my next tradeshow stint in Vegas.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Albuquerque
“Best meal in Vegas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

With no celebrity chef, glitzy decor or pretension, Ruku served up a spectacular three and a half hour feast, without a doubt the best meal we had in Vegas. I should qualify, this is not your mammas sushi / teppan place, be prepared for the unusual. Service was attentive and friendly in fact excellent (which is rare in Vegas). Then there's the remarkable food. I'm going to stop with the adjectives and say. Don't miss the tofu two ways, Kobe liver sashimi, Robato grill sticks, Whole fish two ways, Waygu beef sukiyaki, shishito peppers, eggplant and a trio of
chocolate cake, ice creams and unusual cheesecake made for an amazing shared dessert. There is also a spectacular sake list and don't miss the whimscical bathrooms. Best of all, when it came to price, this meal for five came in way under what I thought it would be. Reservations are required and a pain. it's not far from the strip in Chinatown in a funky strip mall but well worth the aggravation.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Odessa, Texas
“The most amazing meal of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place is amazing, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic, we ordered several things off of the menu, each one was flavorful and well balanced. The only disappointment was that we couldn't try everything!
I am not a fan of tofu, but I will be dreaming of Raku's Tofu Agedashi until I have it again. Even if you hate tofu, you should try theirs! They have a huge selection of sake and a good selection of beer.
We arrived when the doors opened and had reservations. There were people waiting in line and the restaurant filled up very quickly. This was on a weeknight, so I would suggest having reservations. We hope to be back soon!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canada
“One of a kind cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Bf and I came here without a reservation on Valentine's Day and they quickly accommodated us with makeshift bar seats at their waiting area.
After picking a delicious bottle off the vast sake menu, we ordered a few items off the daily specials, including a whole fish made two ways (half sashimi and half grilled), as well as their regular menu. We gathered that the style is like an izakaya so we got about 8 items total. Everything was delicious, from the Kobe liver sashimi (challenging but well done) to the robata grilled skewers. Service was prompt and gracious. Prices were below our expectations for this type of food and preparation.
Recommended for anyone who wants to venture 1.outside of rolls and sushi, and 2.off the strip. This is authentic Japanese food, a fusion of tradition and innovation. Lucky Vegas locals to have this in their city! I'll be back the next time I visit Vegas!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Venture off the Strip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Quality interesting Japanese food off the strip. In a strip mall actually, so the atmosphere is weird, but dark and loungey. We loved it. Delicious, and lots of unusual food, at least to me. Not your usual California roll and teriyaki situation. Funky weird touches (fish tank in ladies room, heated toilet seat!) and the place seems really popular with local Japanese people--made me curious about what really goes on in the mysterious back room!

This place is kind of expensive, but when in Vegas, I surrender to the fact that I'll be dropping lots of money there.

Visited January 2013