“Harrahs Las Vegas” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wenatchee, Washington
“Harrahs Las Vegas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed at Harrahs Las Vegas for nearby convention. Here is a random rundown.
Dated but nice enough hotel. Stayed in Luxury room in Carnival tower. Room was clean and well maintained. Room was billed as strip view. You do see some of the strip, but not much. Everything worked in room. Safe in room was nice.
Check-in took about 30 minutes, but staff very nice.
Only ate a bufett a few times and was pleased with food and service.
Casino floor is very dull and out-dated. Very poor variety of slots.
It seems every casino, including Harrahs has removed all nickel keno machines. A real shame!
Slots very very very tight. A twenty will not even get your seat warm. Most twenties put into slots lasted about 4 minutes and several time gone within 45 seconds. And that is Not at max bet. I guess a hundred is the new twenty. So if you are thinking of a night of slot play, bring a large bundle of cash. None of the other strip casinos any better.
Note: ATM transactions cost 5.99. But right next door at Casino Royal it is a buck. But it smells like poop over there.
One should be aware of the fact that the sidewalks in front of Harrahs, Flamingo and Casino Royal are creepy pimp central. Be perpared to be harrassed by these jerks at all times. They have become much more aggressive. Why Vegas puts up with this obvious promotion of protitution I don't know. It is ruining the strip.
Take the Harrahs shuttle to and from airport. I chose Bell something or another and was treated to a one hour tour of darn near every casino in Vegas dropping of customers. Harrahs shuttle is a direct shot and about the same price of $7 one way.
Would I stay here again? Maybe, if on business. But not for a nice vacation. Too dated and boring. Pimps out front are gross. Weirdos everywhere. One young kid with his buddies in tow was offering anyone to kick him in the nuts for $20. Sadly he got more than a few takers.
Real down and outers are sad, but I, like most people work very hard for a little relaxation time. Just not worth it to watch all the nut cases and pimps everytime exiting the Casino.
So casino bosses, I have some advice. Bring back the Nickel Keno machines and loosen up the slots a bit. You are going to get all my money anyway. Why not add a bit of fun to the gambling.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,405)
  • Thai first
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights to attend a trade show. To be honest, we are not fans of Las Vegas and only go there because that is where the trade show is. The room was nice, quiet, clean and large enough. There was no wi-fi, but wired internet is available for a price. The nicer restaurants were priced too high for the quality of the food, but they apparently invest their money on the decor. We went to the breakfast buffet which was completely unorganized - starting with the long unnecessary wait in line while the one check-in person took a looong time to take each person's payment. The buffet bar itself looks like it is about a half mile long and breakfast items were mixed in with what normal people would eat for lunch or dinner. The smoked salmon (very good) was at one end with the capers and bagels, but the cream cheese was at the far end next to the ice cream and cheese cake. What? Pancakes and French toast were in one area and waffles were way off by themselves and not near the syrup. You could have roast beef or steak, or the standard bacon and sausage. On the positive side, the buffet was multi-cultural with options for Asian, Latin, Jewish and plain old American tastes.

Room Tip: Room on the 14th floor in the Mardi Gras Tower had a view of the strip but was relatively quiet.
VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I chose this hotel based on its center-strip location and its low price (including no resort fee), and Harrah's delivered on those two items. There are more details on our experience below, but in summary, the hotel is adequate but not spectacular. I don't see myself staying there again, but that is because I would prefer a nicer hotel and not because something was wrong with this hotel.

The location is great, but we did have to do a lot of walking - be prepared for that. Our room was small, but clean and we had a pretty good view from our room on the 16th floor of the Mardi Gras tower. I expected the casino to smell like cigarette smoke (after all, it's Vegas), but this casino smelled worse than almost all of the other casinos we visited. Unfortunately, the towels in our room smelled like cigarette smoke, too. My guess is that the towels absorbed the smell of the casino in transit from the laundry room to our guest room.

The casino in Harrah's seemed less classy than a lot of the other casinos that we visited; however, that didn't bother us much as we decided to gamble elsewhere. FYI - the Quad hotel next door has $5 blackjack and was not crowded at all. I recommend it for gambling!

My husband tried to use the fitness room one day, but was told it would cost $20. So, although there is no resort fee, there are also no amenities that I saw. When we asked about wireless internet, we were told to go to McDonald's next door to use their free Wifi. It didn't work when we were in there, but we did get on the Wifi at the Forum shops across the street.

We had vouchers for two free breakfast buffets in the hotel and the meal was great. We were charged $6.50 for the visit, but the charge was promptly removed after I called. It seems that the price of the buffet was raised, but the value of the voucher we had was linked to the older, lower price. The wait staff in the buffet restaurant did not seem particularly motivated to be speedy - it took a very long time to get our glasses of water. But we did get juice and small bottles of water immediately.

After reading the reviews on here before we arrived at Harrah's, I expected a long wait to check in. This was indeed the case, but I was okay with that since I expected it. We were able to check out by using our t.v. That was very convenient.

Rives Junction, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We last stayed here about 20 years ago and have chosen other Harrah's properties since then. Our room was very nice , nicer than the Flamingo, but Harrah's overall (which used to appeal to the younger crowd) now seems to be just another casino/hotel. There's nothing really bad about it, but we will probably not return.

Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went to Las Vegas in November 2012 and it was my first visit. Loved it!!! Can't wait to go back. We stayed at Harrah's which is mid-strip and it was great; friendly, helpful staff. No complaints. Rooms are fine. They clean with comfy beds. Gamling was ok there but we hit almost every casino along the strip so we didn't spend a lot of time in any one casino. I do recommend a trip to Fremont Street. Everything was cheaper there-food, gambling, shopping with a great party atmosphere. Ziplining on Fremont Street was only 15 dollars and awesome!!!
As a travel agent, I recommend Harrah's and Las Vegas in general.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Harrah's in Las Vegas from Monday, 21 Jan 13 through Thursday, 24 Jan 13. We were attending the International Builder's Show and had made reservations over 3 months in advance. When we arrived Monday night Harrah's said they could not provide the room with king size bed we had reserved. However, for an 'up charge' of $15 per night they had a room with a pillow top king size bed and two TVs. We didn't care about the TVs but we were tired from traveling all day so agreed to the additional charge although it felt a little like a 'bait and switch' situation. The second TV in the bathroom turned out to be pretty much useless since there was no remote for it. We never used it during our stay. We did want a room refrigerator but that also was going to be an additional $15 per day unless it was for medical reasons. Although my husband was on a restricted diet that did not qualify so, we opted not to pay the additional charge.
When we got into the room, I switched on the table lamp and it immediately began to hum. I called housekeeping and they did switch it out promptly although the man who brought the replacement could not understand why the loudly humming lamp was a problem for us.
We then went downstairs to the hotel's in house Chinese restaurant. The food was mediocre at best and not worth the prices charged. Service was O.K. but nothing special. After that, we went back to our room to go to bed since our bodies were still on East Coast time. I went to set the alarm clock in the room and found both alarms on it were non-functioning. At that point, I simply said the heck with it and used the alarm on my cell phone.
The next day I reported the alarm clock problem to the front desk. They did switch it out but told me I should simply have had the front desk give me a wake-up call instead. Annoyed by the tone, which implied I was ‘unworldly in the ways of travel’, I explained I was aware most hotels provide that service but I wanted an alarm and not a one time phone ring. Of course, I really had no way of knowing what amenities & services Harrah's provided because there was no binder in the room to tell me about their restaurants, amenities and services. There was a menu for room service and a placard about how to use the phone but that was it. We had to hunt for the ice machine and only found it when another guest pointed us in the right direction. I tried looking things up on their TV channel but it did not provide any useful information about the hotel itself.
Wednesday, I stayed in the room until around 1 PM because my back and hip were killing me from all the walking I had done the previous day. When I left the room, I made sure to remove the do not disturb sign. I also passed two housekeeping carts in the hallway. I did not say anything to anyone simply assuming my room would be taken care of while I was gone. After all, Vegas is a 24/7 kind of town, I would not expect housekeeping service to be simply relegated to the morning hours. When we returned that evening, after 9:30 PM, the room had not been serviced. The bed was not made, the towels had not been replaced, the trashcans were not emptied and the room had not been vacuumed. That was pretty much the last straw.
On Thursday evening when we returned from dinner, I asked to speak to a front desk supervisor. We waited over 12 minutes for someone to speak to us. While speaking with us he excused himself for a couple minutes to address another issue then returned full attention to our matter. I outlined for him everything I have written above and told him I'd received better accommodations and service from the Candlewood Suites in Fredericksburg, VA off of I-95 this past summer for less than Harrah's was charging me. I also let him know my two brothers-in-law, who had stayed at the hotel during this same time, had been unimpressed with their rooms as well.
He apologized and said my room should have been serviced. He also said I could have called down when I came in to find the room unmade and had housekeeping take care of it then. I did not point out the obvious, that it was too late and we were too tired at that point. We expected to come back to a clean room not have to wait while someone cleaned it late at night. The supervisor asked what he could do to remedy the situation. I should have countered with asking him what he could do for me. I was however too tired and too exasperated with my experience at that point. I said to start with he could remove the $15 per day up charge. He did so immediately but did not offer any other remedy or consideration for our less than stellar experience. I thanked him for listening and removing the charge but asked for nothing else. Perhaps I should have.
Overall, my husband and I were very disappointed with our stay at Harrah's. My husband and I are both military officers who have traveled extensively both in the US and abroad. Both of us have been to Vegas several times before and had far better experiences at other Vegas hotels. Quite frankly, I was surprised at the mediocrity that Harrah's displayed. We won't be going back to them next year when we attend next year's International Builder's Show. Nor will we recommend them to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Madi Gras tower facing out onto the roof top. Most of them are quieter. HOWE...
Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights here and I can honestly say it is the best location to stay on the strip! For the price, this cannot be beat. Room was clean (which to me is the most important thing), housekeeping was great and our overall experience was good. I do wish there was a coffee maker in the room though. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in the Carnival Tower, in a corner room, which was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Las Vegas? Share your experiences!