“WON'T Be Going Back Anytime Soon.....” 1 of 5 stars

33% Off Extend Summer!
Ranked #100 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“WON'T Be Going Back Anytime Soon.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Harrah's in Las Vegas from Monday, 21 Jan 13 through Thursday, 24 Jan 13. We were attending the International Builder's Show and had made reservations over 3 months in advance. When we arrived Monday night Harrah's said they could not provide the room with king size bed we had reserved. However, for an 'up charge' of $15 per night they had a room with a pillow top king size bed and two TVs. We didn't care about the TVs but we were tired from traveling all day so agreed to the additional charge although it felt a little like a 'bait and switch' situation. The second TV in the bathroom turned out to be pretty much useless since there was no remote for it. We never used it during our stay. We did want a room refrigerator but that also was going to be an additional $15 per day unless it was for medical reasons. Although my husband was on a restricted diet that did not qualify so, we opted not to pay the additional charge.
When we got into the room, I switched on the table lamp and it immediately began to hum. I called housekeeping and they did switch it out promptly although the man who brought the replacement could not understand why the loudly humming lamp was a problem for us.
We then went downstairs to the hotel's in house Chinese restaurant. The food was mediocre at best and not worth the prices charged. Service was O.K. but nothing special. After that, we went back to our room to go to bed since our bodies were still on East Coast time. I went to set the alarm clock in the room and found both alarms on it were non-functioning. At that point, I simply said the heck with it and used the alarm on my cell phone.
The next day I reported the alarm clock problem to the front desk. They did switch it out but told me I should simply have had the front desk give me a wake-up call instead. Annoyed by the tone, which implied I was ‘unworldly in the ways of travel’, I explained I was aware most hotels provide that service but I wanted an alarm and not a one time phone ring. Of course, I really had no way of knowing what amenities & services Harrah's provided because there was no binder in the room to tell me about their restaurants, amenities and services. There was a menu for room service and a placard about how to use the phone but that was it. We had to hunt for the ice machine and only found it when another guest pointed us in the right direction. I tried looking things up on their TV channel but it did not provide any useful information about the hotel itself.
Wednesday, I stayed in the room until around 1 PM because my back and hip were killing me from all the walking I had done the previous day. When I left the room, I made sure to remove the do not disturb sign. I also passed two housekeeping carts in the hallway. I did not say anything to anyone simply assuming my room would be taken care of while I was gone. After all, Vegas is a 24/7 kind of town, I would not expect housekeeping service to be simply relegated to the morning hours. When we returned that evening, after 9:30 PM, the room had not been serviced. The bed was not made, the towels had not been replaced, the trashcans were not emptied and the room had not been vacuumed. That was pretty much the last straw.
On Thursday evening when we returned from dinner, I asked to speak to a front desk supervisor. We waited over 12 minutes for someone to speak to us. While speaking with us he excused himself for a couple minutes to address another issue then returned full attention to our matter. I outlined for him everything I have written above and told him I'd received better accommodations and service from the Candlewood Suites in Fredericksburg, VA off of I-95 this past summer for less than Harrah's was charging me. I also let him know my two brothers-in-law, who had stayed at the hotel during this same time, had been unimpressed with their rooms as well.
He apologized and said my room should have been serviced. He also said I could have called down when I came in to find the room unmade and had housekeeping take care of it then. I did not point out the obvious, that it was too late and we were too tired at that point. We expected to come back to a clean room not have to wait while someone cleaned it late at night. The supervisor asked what he could do to remedy the situation. I should have countered with asking him what he could do for me. I was however too tired and too exasperated with my experience at that point. I said to start with he could remove the $15 per day up charge. He did so immediately but did not offer any other remedy or consideration for our less than stellar experience. I thanked him for listening and removing the charge but asked for nothing else. Perhaps I should have.
Overall, my husband and I were very disappointed with our stay at Harrah's. My husband and I are both military officers who have traveled extensively both in the US and abroad. Both of us have been to Vegas several times before and had far better experiences at other Vegas hotels. Quite frankly, I was surprised at the mediocrity that Harrah's displayed. We won't be going back to them next year when we attend next year's International Builder's Show. Nor will we recommend them to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Madi Gras tower facing out onto the roof top. Most of them are quieter. HOWE...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

1993
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,210)
  • Thai first
Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights here and I can honestly say it is the best location to stay on the strip! For the price, this cannot be beat. Room was clean (which to me is the most important thing), housekeeping was great and our overall experience was good. I do wish there was a coffee maker in the room though. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in the Carnival Tower, in a corner room, which was very quiet.
Bellingham, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Harrah's for 3 nights, over the weekend. When checking in we were asked if we wanted to upgrade our room. We chose to upgrade to a "Junior Suite" for an additional $20 per night. NOT WORTH THE EXPENSE!!! This was in the Carnaval tower, and it is the size of a 'normal' hotel room. Nothing special. Just a king bed, and a table and chairs. There was a flat screen tv, and the minibar, but nothing that made it 'suite' like. The room was clean, no real problems there. The hotel was great, a fun place to play, and the slots paid out. It is in an EXCELLENT location on the strip. I would stay here again! (But wouldn't pay for a room upgrade)

Room Tip: Do not pay for room upgrade if you are just wanting a simple room!
St Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Loved our stay at Harrah's Las Vegas. It is close to many places. Price was very reasonalbe . Many places to eat in the Hotel . Monarail right out the door. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean. Excellent value.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

It is was possible to give ZERO stars I would have given even less. The hotel staff was rude, incompetent and un accommodating. Especially for Vegas. I booked through Expedia and looked at the fine print regarding their pet policy and it stated a weight maximum. Arriving 4:30 AM after a 2 hour flight and an 11 hour drive, I being the honest patron I am, mentioned we had a pet. I was then told it would be an additional 50 dollars night for a pet. Wouldn't even waive the fee of the first night when the dog would be in the room for only a couple hours. And was then told by the front desk lady how i " should not have told her we had a dog" REAL classy. In addition to the lack of help we received while checking in, the hotel does not offer wireless Internet and had no idea what customer service means. I am so disappointed that my first experience with Las Vegas was a complete and utter bust due to the poor service at a hotel that desperately needs a update in the year and age we are living in. And their "player card" is a scam. My boyfriend used it everytime he gambled and when we called to check on the status of our points, not only was it under the wrong name, but it also had not collected the points we had earned. Don't stay here

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

When attending a convention at the Sands Expo center, I like to get as close as I can without breaking the bank. Harrah's fit the bill and was clean and comfortable. Last year I stayed at a different hotel a little farther away and a little cheaper, and it was not the best experience. Harrah's was much better.

The only downsides were that the restaurants in the hotel are rather expensive (a bowl of oatmeal and an orange juice for $13), and my reservation wasn't "reserved"--I reserved a room with a king bed, but when I arrived I was told no such rooms were available but that I had the option of waiting for one to be available, upgrading to a king (at a higher rate, of course), or taking a room with two Queen beds. The latter option worked out fine, but I'd prefer not to have to play the game and just stick to my original reservation.

Bottom line: nice, clean accommodations at a decent price close to the convention center.

• Stayed January 2013
Hooper,Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at harrah's on the strip in Vegas. The rate for the room was unbelievable, the cleanliness of the hotel was great. Staff were so nice. Would recommend to everyone! The location was good. Close to a lot of things. Bus pickup to go downtown was right out the front door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Harrah's Las Vegas? Share your experiences!