“Great girls getaway” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Maryland
“Great girls getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My two best friends and I went to Vegas for a girls trip. We stayed at Harrah's. The room was very clean and the service was average (they were usually too busy to help us). The pool is nice, but if you want comfy lounge chairs, be prepared to pay. We paid for them because we wanted to be comfy, but there are free lounge chairs also. While the hotel room itself was very clean, the gambling area was thick in smoke which is magnified by the low ceilings. We couldn't actually stay in Harrah's slot area for long for that reason.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,405)
  • Thai first
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is an old hotel that is well maintained and managed. The location is excellent as there are several hotels/casinos within walking distance. Our room was fine however the ventilation system did not seem to be working correctly. We were in a non-smoking room but the air was not fresh. This was unfortunate as it detracted from an otherwise pleasant stay.

We have visited Vegas multiple times. While this location is ideal as far as the strip goes, I still think staying in Old Vegas is the best bet for rookies. This is because there are multiple hotels within EASY walking distance and the minimums are significantly lower if you like to gamble. The downtown properties (Fremont Street) also have an "old" or "romantic" feel to them.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker ask for a room on a floor of non-smoking rooms if possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Location: Great location as it is center strip and has a monorail stop.

Check-in: Early checkin is 28 bucks (rip off) unless you sign up for the free total rewards card

Staff: I had a 25 dollar voucher for beverage credit and I went to the bars several times to use it and was basically rudely dismissed even though the voucher clearly states that it is redeemable. After a few tries, I went to the front desk manager to discuss the issue. He was apologetic , but essentially told me that he would speak to the bar managers about this issue. By that time, I gave up. I expected at least some sort of comp for all the trouble (45 minutes of time to try and use a voucher) ... The next day I managed to use it, but the bartender was still pretty rude about accepting it ... Part of the voucher was a bit torn and bartender did not even want to accept it and told me I screwed up! WTH! ...

Atmosphere: The hotel is crowded with lots of people and signage is not clear. It is definitely worth it if you get a great deal, but otherwise try and find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Stay in Mardi Gras tower if possible as rooms are newer.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
WY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The line was crazy long but the check was pleasant and nice. They put us on the 9th floor and our room was nice and clean. We enjoyed gambling in the casino and the new penny games were fun. The buffet was reasonable and had crab and was good. Walked everywhere and it was located centrally as traffic is always horrible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Springfield, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at Harrah's-Las Vegas the week of Dec 10-14th, during the National Finals' Rodeo. I needed a hotel around Mirage that would work with my tight budget. Harrah's met my requirements and I checked in around 4p on Monday. The check-in line was long (about 75 people in line) and they had all reservation specialists manning the desk. I believe I waited about 20-30 minutes in line to reach the front. In the hotel lobby, I had zero reception for my AT&T I-Phone. I booked NS King with a Strip view and I received that room. No offer for upgrade- but I believe they were pretty booked this week. I do wish that the reservation specialist had explained the elevator situation for the Mardi Gras tower, as I didn't look at the overhead signs before stepping onto the elevator. I was on the 17th floor- if you are on floors 2-15, the first set of elevators are for you. If you are on 16 and above- you should walk to the back of the elevator bay to get on the elevators that service those floors. When I got on the first elevator, it only went to floor 15. Crap. So I figured if I got off somewhere, I'd be able to get on another elevator that would take me to my higher floor. Basically, I got all sorts of turned around and somehow figured out to get on the other bank of elevators to get to my room. Schlepping my heavy bag around a couple of floors in the Mardi Gras tower was not a good way to start off my trip. Other than that, I had no issues with my stay. My shower had a drip, and when I walked into the bathroom, there was standing water in my tub. Luckily, I was prepared and wrapped my hand in a mini-trash bag I brought with me and was able to undo the stopper in the shower. No standing water issues after that, but I didn't want to put my bare hand in the standing water, yuck. The next day after my shower, the drip was more pronounced. I called maintenance (the directory on the phone was missing- thanks previous resident) and they showed up within 15 minutes. Because of how it was relayed, the maintenance man thought I had standing water everywhere and a serious issue. We had a good laugh, he got my shower faucet turned off and let me know they need to get behind the wall to ultimately fix the issue. The housekeeper was very friendly and after seeing my key flash green in the lock, she allowed me to hang out in my room while she finished when I came back early. She then remembered me the next day when the same thing happened and was very friendly. I didn't have any requests for her- therefore just a standard tip was left. Upon check-out on Friday at 5a, instead of riding in a taxi to the airport, they directed me to a shuttle. Luckily, my airline was the first stop and I didn't have to wait long on the bus. I did see that this was a "deal" between the guy who calls the cabs and the shuttle driver, since when the shuttle driver had a full busload of passengers, he went to the guy who hails the cabs and paid him. I appreciate the $12 fair ($7 to ride, $5 tip)...but I'd like my choice of cab or shuttle instead of being told to ride the shuttle and "hey, I'm just trying to save you some money." Overall, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean and it was close to everything. If I was in the same situation again, I might choose Harrah's depending on price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Had a 3 night comp in what was supposed to have been a suite. On check-in, was bumped down to a "Luxury" room, athough desk clerk found an available mini-suite. The room was slightly larger than a normal room but very dated. Flat screen tv was nice but the bedding and pillows were just eh. The bathroom was clean and towels very soft which was nice.

Had a problem w/ our room (keys wouldn't work) and took two trips down to front desk one night and another three trips the following day (as the house phone was broken) for any real resolution - which required us to change rooms. Also - massively crowded and slow elevators didn't make the situation any better.

All in all - location is good, staff is very nice - but seems as though there's no budget for updates or repairs. While I wouldn't rule it out for a stay - it would not be anywhere near the top of our list.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Las Vegas? Share your experiences!