“Good Hotel for middle of the strip” 4 of 5 stars

SAVE UP TO 25% OFF!
Ranked #99 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Peru, Illinois
“Good Hotel for middle of the strip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Harrah's is a very good hotel for the middle of the strip. Our room was a really decent size. The pillows were very comfortable. We could hear our neighbors pretty well but this lady would have been loud to anyone who was next door to us. I called security once and within 5 minutes they were knocking on her door. The room had a safe and a mini fridge. The bathroom and bedding were clean the carpet was a little dirty but what can yo expect in Vegas I'm sure every drunk person has dropped something on it. Check n was a little long but we came in right at check in time one of the floor managers handed out little bottles of water to everyone. Check out there was only one person in the morning around 9:00am which was a little annoying because it took a lot longer. Everyone there was very nice and accommodating. Couldn't ask for a better hotel for a great price right in the middle of the strip. I am a total rewards member so I was logged in online one night and seen a rate of $19 per night Sun-Thurs. for $86 total for 4 nights I couldn't believe it. I booked it instantly you cant even stay downtown in the tiny rooms for that cheap when I was checking in the lady who was helping me was so surprised by that rate also. So I give the hotel for not being a top end hotel a grade of B which in vegas is great in my book.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,392)
  • Thai first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Pros: Great location, in the middle of the strip and inexpensive rates.

Cons: EVERYTHING ELSE! This is the only hotel that doesn't allow you to pre-book the bedding choice ahead of time, but instead base it on availability. If u wanted a king bed and u checked in late, then you might get a queen bed. If u wanted 2 queen beds then u might be out of luck. Arrived after midnight after driving 4 hrs from L.A. and the check-in line moved at a snail pace. As soon as we entered our room, I opened the armoire to watch t.v. and a chunk of the decoration on the top of the cabinet fell on my head. Thank goodness it wasn't the side with the nails. I called security to report and I got "chuckles" on the other line. Security came to our room, took a few pictures, ask if I need medical attention and told us that he doesn't think we'll get charged for the damage. Oh, gee, really? U don't think so? Then I was asked to show him how I opened the cabinet, and if I pulled the door too hard. Really? Then we were asked if they can call maintenance to fix it at that moment. I said no thanks, as we just checked it and wanted to relax. I didn't even get a call from management at all. I had to go downstairs and ask for the hospitality manager just so I can get a verbal guarantee that I'm not going to be charged for it.

The rooms have thin walls and you can hear if the people above are taking showers. Also, everything in the room is cheap . . . the clothes hanger came off when I took off a hanger, and the hairdryer in the bathroom was not working so we had to ask for another one. We will not stay in this hotel again.

Palmer Lake, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The rooms definitely need a good "deep" cleaning, as the carpet is pretty dirty. However, the mattresses were new and wonderful! And, you can't beat their service-you are never left sitting without something to drink while playing. I'll take a great mattress over clean carpet any day!

• Stayed September 2012
Hauppauge, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife, daughter (1 year old) and I recently completed a 4 night/5 day trip to Vegas, for which we stayed at Harrah's. This trip marked my fifth trip to Vegas, with previous stays at The Wynn, The Venetian, The Imperial Palace, and a friend's condo in Henderson. All and all, if possible, Id give Harrah's 2.5 stars out of 5. With rounding it is 3.

The Good
1 - The hotel is located in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip, giving guests central access to all things Las Vegas. Similar to Imperial Palace, you cannot beat the location. That said, as you probably wont be spending too much time in your room, what's an extra 1/2 - 1/4 mile worth? That said, the hotel is right across the street from the Forum Shoppes (at Caesars) and the Mirage.
2 - As part of the Caesar's Entertainment Holdings, this hotel accepts Caesar's total rewards (along with another half of the hotels on the strip)
3 - KGB Burgers - Good little burger shop in Harrah's. Try the Lamb Burger and one of the Milkshakes - great value/good food.
4 - Cleaning services - Our room was always clean when returning from breakfast. Perhaps we were just lucky, but this was a consistent feature over the duration of our stay.

The Blah
1 - Dining & entertainment options at the hotel are mediorce when compared to what else is around.
2 - Harrah's has a Mardi Gras theme...Im missing it? The Rio tries a little harder to capture this (and fails too). It may be personal preference, but dont adopt a theme and just ignore it...embrace it.

The Ugly
1 - Another review stated that Harrah's was "a place where old gamblers go to die". This is not 100% true, but it's close. The hotel is old and out-dated...like most of the people gambling here, especially when compared to other Las Vegas locations. Everything from the rooms, lobby, pool, etc. is worn, and getting older. Considering that Harrah's Mardi Gras theme could result in some exciting updates, and invite a younger crowd, I really would hope they are seriously considering making some.
2 - Internet is not available without a fee. I like to call this the Marriott approach.I can not stand this fee. It is such an easy thing to provide guests to make them happy, especially in a city where livingsocial and groupon can help save some money for guests to lose in the casino.
3 - The gym comes at the cost of $20 a day. See my internet comment above (save the Marriott approach as Marriott doesnt charge for the gym). The Wynn did charge for the gym when I stayed there, and I found that to be rather annoying. Perhaps all Vegas hotels charge (I never attempted at the Venetian or Imperial Palace). Still, do they really need to nickle and dime it with these fees?

So in a nutshell...clean, centrally located hotel with limited in-house dining/entertainment and annoying fees.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here over the September long weekend. This is the 2nd time I've stayed at Harrah's and this time it seemed like the service was exceptional. Everyone we had interactions with were very helpful and eager to help or offer advice. I will definitely be back. We arrived very early in the morning after a 2 hour flight delay and the check in was very quick, we were offered an upgraded room. When we checked out we accidently left our passports in the room safe and realized once we got to the airport. Jay at the front desk was so quick to help so we could get our passports and be on our way. Even though it is one of the older hotels in Vegas, the room was recently renovated, nice, clean and quiet. I slept like a baby:) Nice beds!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade! We asked and were offered one and the option to change rooms if it wasn't t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

i'm not into spending $$$ for a room, since you're not in it, for the most part. that said, LOVE compd suite - can't ask for anything better. although, you have to "work" for it. been compd for some years now, and my casino host (LG) has always taken care of my requests - nothing out of the ordinary. the food was fine, housekeeping excellent, bellman - exceptional - he wanted to call the authorities when the taxi tried to "stiff" me for going thru the tunnell - what a jerk (driver) - told him that he could lose his permit - DUH - he had already admited that he's been driving in lv for 10 years - he knew what he was trying to do. i diverse - this was another fabulous getaway - i'll be back - on the quarter plan :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
furnitureruss
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I visit Las Vegas a few times per year, and generally stay at Harrah's. I am platinum with Total Rewards, so I haven't paid for a room here in years (nice perk). Harrah's is centrally located on the strip which makes getting anywhere pretty easy. There is also a monorail stop right at Harrah's. This trip was over Labor Day weekend (Thursday through Sunday) ... we stayed in the Mardi Gras tower on floor 18. Although we are given free rooms, the rooms usually have horrible views, but this time being on floor 18, we had a good view of the volcano at Mirage, and other properties. I tend not to eat on the property because most restaurants are too expensive for what you receive. There are inexpensive, filling options right next door between Harrah's and Casino Royale. Some say the tables and machines are tight ..... welcome to Vegas. I happened to do pretty good in Vegas this trip. I did gamble quite a bit, drank a bit too much like most in Vegas, had a great time, and came home with just about the same amount of money as I brought. It wasn't a profit, but it ended up being a free trip. I'll be back again and again.

Room Tip: Ask them for a high floor. Most rooms have rooms have BAD views of HVAC systems, or the roof of th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Harrah's Las Vegas? Share your experiences!