“Superb value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #131 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Wales
“Superb value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

With the ever increasing number of hotels in Las Vegas that are charging ridiculous resort fees, the Super 8 on Koval Lane just off the strip seemed a perfect choice for a 6 night stay. It's location behind Bally's is little more than a 10-minute walk to the strip and very easy to find.

Choosing to travel from the airport by public bus, there are a number of routes that travel close to the hotel. I chose the WAX to Koval @ Tropicana, about a 10-minute walk away, the single fare was $2 or you can buy a day pass which includes the Deuce on the strip for $8.

The check in process was very good and I was in my room on the second floor within a couple of minutes. With the temperature on arrival into Vegas being over 100-degrees F even in May, it was refreshing that the room had a fully functioning air conditioning unit which was very welcome.

The large King size bed was extremely comfortable, the room had a table and two chairs and a very good shower/bath combination and toilet. The room was also equipped with Wi-Fi which functioned well for all 6-days. Very, very pleased for the price.

As with other comments from others below, the walls are certainly thin and you can here noise from connecting rooms. I really didn't find it too much of a problem though.

Koval Lane has a 7-11 store within 2-minutes walk away along with a couple of gas service stations if you require any food or drink during your stay. There are vending machines on each floor although these will cost you a little bit more.

My only gripe for the whole stay was that the hotel seemed quite happy for the residents to use the outdoor pool as late as 4am in the morning, and be loud and boisterous in the process. They should impose a curfew at a respectable hour so those people who want to sleep can.

All in all though, for the price, good rooms and location not too far from the strip, I would certainly not think twice about staying here again. I certainly don't see the point of staying on the strip when you're being ripped off with higher room rates and stupid resort fees for things you wouldn't be likely to use or need. Spend your extra cash in the casinos !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
James C, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Las Vegas, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for all the kind words regarding our property. I am always immensely pleased to see when a guest is as satisfied with their stay as you seem to be with yours. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed all of the wonderful amenities we provide. As for your only complaint, we do advertise a 24 hour pool and spa for our guests but I am well aware that sometimes those using the pool can be very discourteous to those trying to sleep. That is why we ask anyone to leave the pool area (especially past midnight) if we receive complaints from guests who are trying to sleep. I see in your review that you said you would definitely stay with us again, which I'm very glad to hear, so if this happens again, simply notify the front desk about the noise and we will take care of it for you immediately. Thank you again for the great review. If you have any questions about your stay, feel free to contact me at 702-794-0888 or rstrickland@super8vegas.com.

Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
Nelson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a huge property and from the outside it doesn't look like anything special but the rooms are huge and seem to have been recently refurbished. It's only a short 10 minutes walk to The Strip and on the same property is Ellis Island casino, which has several different restaurants and a pizza take-out counter. It has free WiFi, a swimming pool and was so reasonably priced, we thought it was really good value. The beds were comfortable too. It's quieter than being on the Strip and we preferred it, as we have stayed at a hotel on the Strip before and found it pretty noisy, Las Vegas being a 24-hours-a-day kind of place. We'd definitely stay here again. I'd recommend asking for a third floor (top floor) room, because then you will never have the family of elephants that inevitably moves in above you if you're NOT on the top floor!

Room Tip: Third (top) floor is best, as you have no-one above you disturbing your peace and quiet!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review of your stay at our property. I'm very pleased to hear that you had a great time with us and consider us a great value. I'm also glad to hear that you were well satisfied with all of our amenities that we offer. As you said, we are a very nice, quiet and laid back hotel that you can stay at to get away from all the hubbub on the strip but still be close enough to the action to take part in it when you desire. Again thank you for the review and the glowing recommendation. If you have any questions about your stay, feel free to contact me at 702-794-0888 or rstrickland@super8vegas.com.

Shelby, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is an older building and the rooms were very small. The were not as clean as you would expect from Super 8. The price was also not very reasonable. The one good thing is...it is located one block off of the strip. Like other properties that are joining a casino...the type of people hanging around is not very nice for the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to your review your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. I can assure you that all of our rooms are very clean and I'm curious to know what issues specifically you had with yours. Also, you say the price was not reasonable. Were you staying on a busy day? Rates do rise the busier we are and the higher our occupancy is. Was it a weekend? Because I can assure you that we check rates of neighboring hotels on a daily basis to see what others are charging so that we can give the best deal possible to anyone who walks through our doors.

Also, you say that the type of people hanging out are bad for the hotel. We do not let anyone "hang out" in our hotel. You must rent a room here to stay in or around our lobby, pool area, parking lot, etc. I cannot speak for the casino next door as we are not affiliated with them, we are just located near them. However, if someone has the proper identification and method of payment and would like to check in, we do not turn them away from renting a room based on appearance alone as that would be discrimination. We do however turn people away based on attitude or behavior.

I sincerely hope that you decide to give us another opportunity in the future to show you that we are a wonderful place to stay while in the Las Vegas area. If you have any questions about your stay, feel free to contact me at 702-794-0888 or rstrickland@super8vegas.com.

Avon Lake, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

After staying at a high-end Strip hotel for a company-paid conference, we relocated to this Super 8 for a few days of relaxation on my dime. Unlike the fancy, expensive places, this hotel has FREE WIFI!!!!! Unlike many Strip hotels, this place has a FREE AIRPORT SHUTTLE. Unlike many Strip hotels, this place has an UNCROWDED POOL WITH PLENTY OF LOUNGE CHAIRS and towels. Unlike the fancy Strip hotels, this place has FREE ON-SITE PARKING ( although we didn't need it). The price, even for a weekend,was a fraction of what my employer paid the week before, even with a "special rate", at the fancy-schmancy place. True, there is no continental breakfast in the lobby but about 10 steps away is the Ellis Island Casino and Restaurant which is very popular with the locals. VERY good food 24/7 and VERY INEXPENSIVE. Huge portions. Get a real breakfast over there. Highly recommend! There is a 7-11 next door and another 24 /7 store nearby. Get snacks and drinks there or buy them for a little more money in the well-stocked vending machines at the Super 8. The walk to the strip was 15 minutes to the corner of Flamingo Rd. and Las Vegas Blvd. Between Bally's and the Flamingo: right in the middle of the strip. Bellagio across the street. Not a very scenic walk but safe enough. Or walk in the other direction to Harmon and arrive at The Strip by Planet Hollywood.
Not sure where the "Newly Remodeling" was done. Our room was pretty basic and spartan. Finishes kind of rough (hubby is a contractor and he notices these things). No frills, especially compared to the Fancy Place. Shower had really good pressure. No conditioner,body lotion or shower cap provided. Comfy king-size bed but only one nightstand and lamp. And we both like to read at night. The "headboard" ( a piece of Formica covered wood) was not attached very well and banged the wall. Oh well, what do you expect for under $50 bucks/night! Nice flat screen TV with plenty of cable channels. The hall carpet is HIDEOUS!!! FIre your decorator! Front desk staff was extremely accomodating. They let us check out late since we had a late-day flight, printed our boarding passes and whisked us to the airport for FREE.
If you don't NEED to stay at a casino resort where you are charged for everything but the air you breathe, this Super 8 is worthy of consideration.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for all the kind words and the recommendation for our property. I'm extremely pleased to hear that you had such a good stay with us and consider us a great value. I can't express how glad I am to hear that everything was to your satisfaction, from the customer service to the free Wifi, airport shuttle, TV, location and price (with the minor exception of the carpeting, but taste is relative I suppose). I hope you decide to stay with us again the next time you are in Las Vegas. Again, thank you for the positive comments. If you have any questions about your stay, feel free to contact me at 702-794-0888 or rstrickland@super8vegas.com.

Bloomfield, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Due to a late flight, I was stuck here for the night. Was so exhausted just was looking for a place to shower, wash clothes and sleep. Waited just over 30 minutes for the shuttle. Safe and pleasant drivers both times. No breakfast, thought most Super 8`s did. Had shampoo and soap no lotion or conditioner. I had mine, but noted for others. I did forget my razor, they didn`t have complimentary ones, buy it in a machine in hall that wasn`t stocked 3$. Thankfully there were 2 washers and dryers, but had to wait to use them. 2Nd floor was smoking floor with laundry, very strong smell. No remote found, handyman brought one right away. No trash liner in can, comfortable bed. Clean enough, could be updated. Would not stay for anything other than last minute sleep, not vacation. Feel it was overpriced at 90 for location and room. Charged a minimum of $5 to use computer, 1$ a page for b&w printouts. Good water pressure. One entire machine packed with cigarettes for sale. Maybe a smokers delight hotel, not for me.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough review of our hotel. I'm pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay, for the most part, with a few minor issues. Regarding the smoke you smelled on the 2nd floor, the 1st and 2nd floors of our hotel are half smoking and half non smoking with the 3rd floor being entirely non smoking. If this bothered you, we would have been more than happy to switch you to the 3rd floor if you had asked. Also, you stated that the price you paid for the room seemed a bit high, however, on the weekends the price can rise if it is busy and we try to stay competitive with neighboring hotels while still being much cheaper than anything on the Strip. Again, thank you for the positive comments. If you have any questions about your stay, feel free to contact me at 702-794-0888 or rstrickland@super8vegas.com.

Super 8

Been to Super 8 Las Vegas? Share your experiences!