I had to write a review about our wonderful stay at the El Cortez from Sept 8th - Sept 13th 2011 in room 1501.
I wanted to say that we are regular Texas visitors to Las Vegas and have stayed at The Venetian, Ceasars, Harrahs, MGM Grand, The Golden Nugget and many, many more. Out of all the places we have stayed in Vegas, The Cortez was the very best! We are now devoted customers, and cannot wait to come again!
Our room was lovely with a wonderful view. There was actually a coffee pot in the room!! An apparent no-no at other hotels in Vegas. How nice it was to be able to stay in our jammies and have coffee in the mornings while we enjoyed looking out the window. Not to have to get dressed and go in search of coffee, or to have to order cold coffee from over-priced room service, was a blessing!
The housekeeping ladies were wonderful and saw to our every need. Our room was always clean, and a nice and cool sanctuary when we wanted to get away from the bustle of Vegas. They were always nice about giving us extra coffee packets if we needed them.
We had dinner at The Flame. What an experience! That was our 1st night and we were so tired from traveling! We loved the low lighting, the exquisite piano playing, the wine, our excellent waitress, and the romance! (we are in our 60’s, married for nearly 50 years, by the way!)
We had wine in the newly remodeled bar while we watched football. The nicest bartender!! That was lots of fun, with everyone hollering for their team.
The gambling was fantastic, even though we did not leave as winners, the games were fair, with low minimums. Great blackjack!! We went down Fremont and played at a few other places, but always ended up back at the Cortez. No one else compared. So, it is also our favorite place to gamble.
We had several low cost, and a couple of free, meals in the café, from points earned while playing. Wonderful, yummy food in the Café!
The free shuttle to the airport was a blessing! Right on time and the most delightful driver!
We even enjoyed the hot dogs at the sports book. (only thing I would suggest on those is that they steam or warm the buns), but they were SO tasty!
After staying at all of those higher $ places, we were a bit nervous about trying the El Cortez, but we needn’t have been. It was absolutely delightful. We no longer care to stay on the noisy, over priced strip. The Cortez will be our place, now!
My ONLY complaint, and it is not really a complaint, is that the computer station at the elevators where we printed our return boarding passes, messed up, and I had to pay more money to get them printed, since my time kept running out. No biggie, though! It was great to have a place to get them printed! (I think it was my fault it kept messing up!)
Every employee was delightful, and I did not run across any problems with any of them. All were friendly and helpful, and I only wish I had thought to get names so I could praise each one, individually.
The El Cortez reminds us of the old Vegas that we loved when we were younger!
Everything was super clean. Our room in the main tower on the 15th floor was huge with a seperate sitting area and a great view of Vegas, the mountains and the Stratosphere needle. The bed was super comfy and the AC was ice cold! Bathroom not fancy, but clean, and functional, with great amenities! There is no pool, but that is not a biggie to us.
We highly recommend the Cortez, especially to older couples like us who have tired of the noisy, over-priced strip, and remember they way Vegas used to be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Constructed in 1941, the El Cortez Hotel and Casino is the oldest consistently running gaming property in Las Vegas. It is located in the Fremont East Entertainment District in historic downtown Las Vegas.With 362 hotel rooms including the Cabana Suites, El Cortez features full-pay single deck 21, 10x odds on craps, state of the art roulette and over 1000 slot machines. El Cortez is proudly affiliated with Michael Gaughan's South Point Sports Book.Dining options at El Cortez include: Cafe Cortez, The Flame Steakhouse, and Subway. The property also includes a gift shop and full-service beauty and barber shop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your El Cortez Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Cortez Hotel Las Vegas
- El Cortez Hotel And Casino
- El Cortez Las Vegas