I have stayed at the El Cortez many times and have always enjoyed my visit with them. I have stayed at almost every hotel/casino in the city so I think I’m a good judge of hotels there. The El Cortez is an excellent budget hotel in downtown Las Vegas. I personally prefer the downtown area because it is less busy and still has all of what makes Las Vegas a great destination.
A word of caution before you read too far. If you are the type of person that name brand is important to you and/or you have to stay at a mega resort where you never leave the place to see the real Las Vegas, then read no farther. This is about a place to stay that is the exact opposite. Located on the happening end of ‘the strip’!!
The hotel and casino have been completely remodeled within the last few years. So has the Freemont Street area where the hotel is located. The hotel is not the up-scale experience that many people may want when they travel but is perfect for me.
Some things I like about the place are:
• Easy to find – Since it is away from the congestion of the other hotels the tower is easily visible from a distance.
• Easy and plentiful free parking – they have two parking garages and one can even park on the street in the area.
• Easy to get in and out of the place – at the bigger places on the strip one has to wait for lines, wait for traffic, wait, wait, wait. Not at the El Cortez. I can not remember having more than one person ahead of me to check in and check out is always a snap! Leaving the parking garage is also easy, as is getting on the highway to go to the airport.
• Easy to get to rooms - Some rooms are actually located on the top floor of the main parking garage and are super easy to access, no hassle of walking through the casino. Tower rooms have an elevator near the one of the entrance doors, again no need to walk through the casino to get to the room (as is the case in many larger hotels)
• Affordable rooms – I’ve stayed in most of the categories of rooms (not the suite) and all were clean, secure and comfortable.
• Walking distance to many entertainment and meal options – I enjoy walking and I do not consider three or four city blocks a long distance. Within that distance, some even closer, there are easily dozens of choices.
• No Resort Fee or other added fees – The trick of many hotels in Vegas is to quote one rate for a room then when you arrive they add on charges for things that many guests do not use, resort fee, energy surcharge, ect.
The place isn’t perfect by any means but a real nice place to stay and see / experience the wonders of Las Vegas, my personal favorite destination in the world!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Constructed in 1941, the El Cortez Hotel and Casino is the oldest consistently running gaming property in Las Vegas. It is located in the Fremont East Entertainment District in historic downtown Las Vegas.With 362 hotel rooms including the Cabana Suites, El Cortez features full-pay single deck 21, 10x odds on craps, state of the art roulette and over 1000 slot machines. El Cortez is proudly affiliated with Michael Gaughan's South Point Sports Book.Dining options at El Cortez include: Cafe Cortez, The Flame Steakhouse, and Subway. The property also includes a gift shop and full-service beauty and barber shop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Odigeo, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your El Cortez Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Cortez Hotel Las Vegas
- El Cortez Hotel And Casino
- El Cortez Las Vegas