“Great dining experience!!” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ago Las Vegas
4455 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, NV 89169 (Paradise)
702.693.4440
Cross street: Harmon
pennsylvania
“Great dining experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hard Rock, and had dinner at Ago on Labor Day. We both received a $50 credit for the restaurant just by signing up for the Rockstar Club and playing the slots a little while.

We ordered drinks (which were promptly delivered), and started out with some appetizers. I had the prociutto with melon, and my husband had the antipasto plate with cured meats, cheeses, olives and roasted red peppers. Both of these appetizers were FANTASTIC!! (the presentation was beautiful as well) For our entrees, I had the black liguini with clams, and my husband had the tagliatelle. Again, both dishes were thouroughly enjoyed. For dessert, I had the cannoli and a cup of tea. Cannoli was great, however when I put the cream in my tea, it curdled. I let our waiter know and he rectified the situation in record time and apologized profusely!

I wish I knew the name of this waiter, because he was AMAZING...super polite and very friendly. Ambience is great, music is not loud at all, quick service, great food. I would definitely dine here again!

P.S. If you plan on eating here, make sure to dress appropriately. (dressy casual is sufficient, don't go overboard). There were several people around us in baseball hats and/or shorts, t-shirts...ruins the atmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Awful - won't ever return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

I ate a Ago tonight as part of Spy On Vegas' Fude series. What a horrible meal!

The hostess was quite pleasant, especially notable since I was running about 20 minutes late and held up our party. We were sat and after several minutes a waiter came over, we asked for water, and it was delivered fairly promptly by a back server.

The waiter returned, explained the menu and we went ahead and ordered our food, and he remarked at the value we were getting because of the promotional FUDE pricing... Um, a bit declasse, but okay...

Bread basket was brought, and was very disappointing. Why do restaurants still think serving cold bread is okay? Because it isn't. The was a small baguette type roll (crusty and cold), cubes of focaccia (literally cold, like they had been thawed), and roll that appeared to have olives in it and was bitter as all hell (I put it in my mouth and my friend said "oh dear... that must not have been good!" - apparently I made a rather rude face) and some skinny breadsticks like you'd buy prepackaged in the store. Instead of butter there were two dips, an olive tapenade and a tapenade of, I believe, roasted red peppers. The olive was okay, the red peppers was very nice. Too bad the bread sucked.

Appetizers - I got the tuna and avocado tartar with grapefruit and green onion vinaigrette ($14), which was so underseasoned it bordered on ridiculous. It was literally a ring mold of avocado and diced tuna, dry, no salt, nothing, with three sections of grapefruit around it. The only evidence of vinagrette was a couple oily streaks on the plate. I salted and peppered it to make it palatable, but was still sad and disappointing. My friend got a salad with goat cheese, grape tomatoes, pine nuts and dried olives ($11) which she said was delicious and the best part of her meal.

After sitting with dirty plates in front of us for the better part of 20 minutes, they were finally cleared, and we asked the waiter to clear the dirty bread plates too. He also then filled our empty water glasses - the restaurant was not busy, so I can't fathom what the slow service was about. He just seemed distracted and disinterested. We both ordered entrees when we ordered apps, and eventually, they too were delivered.

For me: what the menu described as "wood fired colorado (sic) rack of lamb, mixed vegetables, extra virgin olive oil." ($34)I ordered the lamb medium, leaning towards the medium rare side. What I got was two chops which appeared to have been boiled or steamed (that's what happens when you don't sear properly and/or have a dry, overcrowded pan) near to death. Not pink, not juicy, just brownish/grey and sad. I would've brought it up straight away but our waiter didn't return for another 20 minutes... In the meantime I picked at the lamb and the accompanying "mixed veg" which was a stalk of rapini, one thumb sized mini red pepper, one mushroom, one mini shaved turnip (parsnip? always get those confused) and a tiny boiled new potato. All completely and utter bland, and I like my veg al dente, but they should be cooked some... ahem. (when the waiter return, eventually, I pointed that my lamb was quite overdone, and he said "not really" and I laughed. he offered to take it back, but considering what was coming out of the kitchen, it didn't seem worth the additional wait)

My dinner mate got "wood fired ribeye, roasted artichokes, asparagus, rosemary olive oil" ($40). The steak was cooked well (actually medium, as ordered) and tender, but once again completely devoid of any and all flavor. The artichokes were crispy and interesting in texture, but again, it's like the kitchen has outlawed salt and herbs of any kind. Absolutely shocking.

Dessert was another long wait, and then a "chefs choice" selection of tiramisu and a plate of mini ricotta cheesecake with lemon sorbet. Tiramisu was okay, though soggy (again seemed like it might have been another freeze and thaw victim) and the cheesecake was nice, but the lemon sorbet was superb. Icy, just tart and sweet enough without being too much of either, and truly delicious.

We had hardly bit into to either treat before the check was dropped off. Guess he can be quick about some things...

It was interesting to see the attitude of the management stalking around the place. They completely ignored all customers except for a couple of tables occupied by people who were obviously friends. They got freebies and slaps on the back and quick service. We just got a bill, a stubborn greasy aftertaste and in the case of my poor friend, an upset stomach.

Incidentally - the table to our left sent back her woefully overcooked salmon only to have it return, she said, completely and utterly the same. The table to our right sent an entree back and didn't even want it redone.

There are so many fantastic restaurants in Vegas - don't waste your time, money, or taste buds on Ago.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Northern New Jersey
“This place cannot survive!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

You step into this place thinking its beautiful, set in an upbeat casino with a younger crowd looking to spend money. Had to wait for a 2 person table for 30 min when 10 tables were available (they eventually gave us a table that was sitting there the entire time). waiter seemed to forget about us after he gave us the menu. Passion for food was lacking from all the employees. Food was pitiful, bland, and hurried...would never go back to this place. I read a few reviews before this post and all seem to have been the same experience as mine. AVOID AVOID AVOID!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
las vegas, nv
“OK food. Terrible service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I'm not a famous critic but I know bad service when I see it, we all do. The food was mediocre- definitely not what I expected when I placed my order. The Carpaccio was flavorless and then overpowered by the arugula. My dish tasted like a $20 glorified box of Hamburger Helper- and don't ask for any parsley as a garnish, they don't have any. The ravioli dish was OK, but sort lacking in something on the palete. The tiramisu, however, was incredibly good. The service provided by my waiter was horrible. Unattentive and when I proceeded to tell him that I didn't really care for the food, what spilled out of his mouth were insults and ridicules. Putting aside the fact that this was my birthday dinner, how can you EVER treat a customer like that? DO NOT waste your time at this restaurant until you can be sure that they have their act together in all aspects of a restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Palm Springs, CA.
“Was not that good and very loud.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

OK, so they say Ago is the chef to Robert Dinero and they started this small chain. That is why me and the wife said lets give it a try. We show up at the Hard Rock and they make you walk through the whole casino to get to the restaurant, typical Vegas. Me and the wife are greeted by the young hostess and are seated on a small table for two right next to one lady by her self on one side and next to the bathrooms the other. The restaurant was almost empty and we made reservations a month in advance to celebrate our anniversary. So my wife got up and said something, then we where moved to the center of the dinning room on a bigger table. First impression of the place was good like a very classy bistro nice decor. There was like six or more chefs on line and looked ready to put out some food but shortly after we got there 8:00pm I seen the hostess turn away everyone. I was surprised the pace was not even half full. Anyway the service was very good but the food was just OK. I had the eggplant noodles with the wild bore it was bland and the wife's dish was not better. The one thing that stands out was the sound level was way high and I was yelling to my lovely wife to have a conversation.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere