“RIP OFF” 1 of 5 stars

and up
Private Tour: Lake Tahoe Sleigh Ride
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The Borges Sleigh and Carriage Rides is still a family operated business at the same location in South Lake Tahoe for over 42 years. Over the years, other locations have been used such as Squaw Creek & Northstar Resorts. Our 1 hour or 30 minute narrated sleigh ride travels along the Pony Express Trail then over the meadow and though the woods...to a spectacular view of Lake Tahoe. A picnic area, snow play area & pony rides are some of the addition activities. Hot drinks & souvenirs are also available.
Concord, California
“RIP OFF”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I were excited when we read about Borges Sleigh and Carriage Rides online thinking it would be the perfect, romantic thing to do together on our anniversary since we chose Lake Tahoe for our anniversary weekend. On their website they claim that " Your Sleigh Ride adventure will take you over the meadow, through the woods to grandmother's house and to a peaceful place overlooking one of Lake Tahoe's most spectacular views." and then you'll pick up a souvenir to take home from grandmother's house. We got there and there was this guy standing outside the Embassy Suites. We paid him $40.00 for two and he only took us through a residential area and then turned around and came back to where we started off. He mostly talked about himself and his moving from Michigan to Lake Tahoe and how hard it is for him to make a living there. The ride is also soooo very slow and boring that my husband literally fell asleep...lol. We were expecting a fun ride through the snow to grandmother's house but I felt like the tour guide made the horse walk so slow so he can take up the 30min sleigh ride through a neighbourhood that you can cover in 2 mins if you were driving. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS. TAKE A RIDE ON THE GONDOLA INSTEAD! THIS IS A RIP OFF!

Visited December 2012
deBorges, Manager at Borges Sleigh and Carriage Rides, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
sorry you didn't feel happy with your Carriage Ride. I took me a while to figure our what went wrong here. But the confusion was what you ride you took and the ride you read were two different rides. A Sleigh Rides is on the snow & Carriages Rides go down the city streets. Carriages rides in traffic are more challenging for drivers so they do walk our horses for safety reasons. They are big guys over 2,000 ponds -- speed is not the forte. As for our drivers (especially the Michigan Gang form Mackinaw Island) are usually kind, happy and knowledgeable and I am not sure what could have happened. Please except my apologies & if you are ever in the area look us up again and let us see if we can change your opinion. We are half the price of the Gondola Ride and we feel we are a good value.

San Jose, California, USA
77 attraction reviews
“A nice ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I went to Northlake Tahoe and called to book a ride. I didn't know that i was an hour away!!! On the drive over I realized that I would not make it in time, and I called the main line. He was kind enough to explain to me the difference between Northlake and Southlake Tahoe! oops! and said not to worry he would wait for us. Now I found this thru some website that said $20 per person for a 2 hour tour. I thought omg that's so cheap. Can I also bring my 5lb dog? YES! thanks! I get to the Embassy Suites where they pick up and right when I get here (calling along the way letting him know where I am) the carriage is full of people and is about to take off. WTH? So I called again and he said she's taking off and will be back in 30 minutes. (it took 40) but we were like ok, we needed to eat a snack anyways. She came back and another couple with 2 kids wanted to go and she said they'd have to wait because we had called it in. But we said let them take the back, we don't want them to wait. SO we all went on a mini tour to the beach while Abraham pulled us along. She gave us a little history which was great. My dog and I were nice and toasty. It was a relaxing activity for the girls who didn't want to snowboard or ski in tahoe. And 30 minutes was more than enough for us. She was super knowledgeable and when I returned a month later I wanted to book another tour but there was 10 us and they would not give me a group rate. So I gave the tour myself in my SUV.
I did learn that she had come out just for me and even though she took another group when I got there, I was fine with it because I'm glad she was able to make a little more money while patiently waiting for me for an hour. But if you saw their ad on the same website as me (can't remember it anymore) it's not 2 hours! it's 30 minutes for $20. Also the guy on the phone told me to wait inside the Embassy SUites to keep warm! thanks for the tip. and I liked how she told the other people to wait even though they waited out int he cold the whole time we waited inside. (it means a lot she respected our reservation) and my dog loved it:)

Visited February 2012
South Lake Tahoe, California
28 attraction reviews
“Is there snow?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

All I can say is: snow at lake-level is pretty unreliable in November til mid January, and it can disappear pretty fast in early April. When Borges are operating (ie there's snow at lake level) it's qaint, it's different, it is in a large paddock and it's not the uber romantic sleigh ride in a Norwegian forest with Grace Kelly.

Before you book from Florida, I recommend looking at Caltran's road cameras to see if there's snow at lake level.

Visited February 2011
Lakeside, California
“The most heartless company I have ever seen!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

My family was planning a trip to Reno for Christmas and all of our activities were SNOW related and one of them was a private sleigh ride with Borges that cost $150.00 we booked this almost a month in advance and were going to drive a 11 hours to get to Reno well as our arrival date came closer there had been no snow and no snow was in the forecast so I started calling companys letting the know that we werent going to drive that far if there is no snow and all of them were understanding and did not expect us to pay for a service they couldnt provide except BORGES SLEIGH RIDES they refused to give me a refund and said that it wasnt their fault that there was no snow they were keeping my money. I guess they dont care that its Christmas. I still cant believe a company would keep someones money when they didnt provide the service.

Visited December 2011
Sacramento
“Dashing through the snow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

We spent a few days in Tahoe and decided to take our almost 2 year old on a sleigh ride. It was 30 mins and tons of fun! It was approx $20 per adult. If you stop by the Tahoe Chamber of Commerce in Town they have a coupon for $2off. Military also gets $5 off too :)

The tour seemed a little longer than 30 mins, but it was probably because they stop along the way and tell you some history of the land and Tahoe. There are also photo opportunities along the way. They provide blankets, which was nice. We went when the snow was out and it was COLD. We all wore hats, gloves, coats. I cant imagine going when it is snowing.

I highly recommend it!

EDIT- We went this past weekend 1/30/2010 and decided to take my parents on a ride. I want to say that it wasn't as good as the first time. Simply because the tour guide ( a female- last time was a male) just sat there and talked about dumb stuff. Make sure you have them tell you the history of the land,etc. Make them earn the $20 per person ( we only paid $10 because we are military). My parents were very disappointed as was I. I would hate for this to happen to anyone else.