“Jackpot needs to check out Mesquite” 2 of 5 stars

Cactus Petes Resort Casino
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1385 Highway 93, PO Box 508, Jackpot, NV 89825   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Jackpot
A TripAdvisor Member
“Jackpot needs to check out Mesquite”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2005

My wife and I have been going to Jackpot for many years and we always stay at Cactus Petes.

We often went there during the week to see a show in the Gala room and also to miss the bigger crowds on the weekends. This is not possible now because they only have entertainment on the weekends.

The room that cost us $19.95 a few years ago now cost us $69.95. We previously went to Jackpot about 6 times a year. We now go twice a year. We go to play in golf tournaments and we no longer go just to go to gamble.

I like to play poker and there is not any deals to be had at Cactus Petes. I played in Mesquite last year and the dealer gave me 2 nights with a free room. This has never happened to me at Cactus Petes. We will be driving extra miles this month just to go to Mesquite and enjoy their hospitality. Perhaps the managers at Cactus Petes could learn from the people in Mesquite on how to treat your guest. I am sure if they did they would have many more visitors to their casino. By the way, my room will cost me $15 in Mesquite as compared to $69 in Jackpot.

• Stayed June 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2004

Been to Jackpot many times and seem to be treated worse and worse. The room rates are steep for a place that has you captured to their property. I can find deals in other gambling areas, but not Jackpot. It is the only place to go without driving many more hours for those of us in southwest Idaho and THEY KNOW IT! The service has been non friendly and I am made to feel they are doing me a favor giving service.
Can't get on a table to play cards as they will not open up tables while people are waiting to play. In a nutshell- I can't count on enjoying myself at Cactus Petes. The slots just seem real tight to me as I don't see a lot of jackpots- can't prove this, but do feel this way.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2004

Been staying there for 30+ years. Service and perks going downhill at a rapid rate in the last year. Not user friendly for handicapped seniors.

Lethbridge, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2004

I've been reading lots of bad reviews here lately. I agree with many things said, but I must say I still love Jackpot. I have been going there for the past 7 years, and the last 2 times I actually went by myself, just for a quick getaway. I have to drive 12 hours to get there and I do it because it is cheap and fun. Yes, some things are a little pricey (ie. Cactus Pete's buffet). The rooms aren't always the greatest, but for what I'm paying I'm quite satisfied. You have to pay 3 times that much to stay in a crappy hotel in my hometown. You can still find cheap meals (ie. Bartons - even though the staff needs some lessons in customer service).
I used to be hooked on Bartons (they still have the best food) but agree with many reviews that say they are rude. I have found the dealers and waitresses at Cactus Pete's to be great. I have so much fun sitting at the blackjack tables with the friendly dealers. The last time I was there it seemed like no one knew how to play blackjack and the dealers took time out to teach every one of them - which got a little boring for me, but 7 years ago I was just learning too. I also discovered the penny slots at Pete's last time, which was a good way to spend a lot of time for not a lot of money. Plus, I ended up winning on one and left town with more money than I came with.
So, if you want a cheap vacation that includes lots of gambling, I would definitely recommend Jackpot.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2004

We have been going to Jackpot for years, mostly Cactus Pete's, and have seen the decline of everything, from the quality of food to run down rooms, to lousy service !!!!!!! The price of the buffet in cactus Pete's is way to high for the quality of food you get anymore... I still say their rooms are the best in Jackpot, but sometimes things don't work, ie: lights, hot tubs, etc. If you are playing nickles or pennys, don't look for a cocktail server, there are none !!! The worst is the payouts on the machines, it doesn't happen very often anymore, not even a lousy 5 dollars. I will still go there, but without any expectations !!!!!!!

Danville, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2004

Too Bad that a lovely, large room was spoiled by an overwhelming saturation with smoke. My husband and I were travelling to Montana through Nevada and decided to stop in Jackpot Nevada. I was concerned about the previous reviews I had read about Cactus Pete's concerning smoke saturated rooms, but I liked the 4-star rating. So I called personally instead of doing an on-line reservation. I talked to a reservation agent who GUARANTEED me a non-smoking room, and further said that she would note that it MUST NOT smell like smoke. I am asthmatic and it is a serious health issue for me. When we checked in, we again checked with the desk to be sure that the room was clear of smoke. ABSOLUTELY! was the answer. Not true!!!! There was even a cigarette burn in the carpet by the bed. We checked back with the front desk and they said that that was the best they could do. We slept with the sliding door open all night (thank you to the previous Trip Advisor person that said to ask for a Granite Room so that we could do that) Even then, I spent most of the night out on the balcony. We did eat in the buffet, a great deal, but had to get there through a casino that was so smoke-filled that it was unbelievable. Never again at this place- or this town- for us.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2004

Is the air conditioning fixed at Cactus Pete's yet??? It is awful, my husband & I were there not to long ago & we had to leave because the heat & ventalation got so bad!!! We used to really enjoy staying here, but the parking is crazy when you pay that much for a room I expect to get a parking spot and not have to walk a mile to get to the hotel.
And the blood on the bedspreads that I have read is totally disgusting!!! The shows are always very good to see!! They are sure getting alot better entertainers now!! We are coming again soon, but we will stay somewhere else, we will check out Cactus Pete's and I hope it is alot COOLER and ALOT MORE FRIENDLY!!!!

Been to Cactus Petes Resort Casino? Share your experiences!