“Great Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
new rochelle
“Great Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

A few statements before I begin. We visit Las Vegas to spend time with family. We don't go to gamble, see shows or spend time on the Strip. If these activities are what you have in mind, Sunset Station may or may not be the place for you, since these aren't things that we do in the area.
However, what we do require is a clean, safe hotel with reasonable prices, since we are usually in town for several nights. Sunset fits the bill. There is ALWAYS a security guard checking room keys before you can enter an elevator. Also, you can enter without having to pass through the casino.The rooms are very clean, and the beds are very comfortable. The price is right, even with the ridiculous resort fee (which it seems that every hotel in Vegas charges) the price was approximately $50 per night.
Make no mistake, this is not a luxury hotel, but it's a value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Peoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We were in Vegas for my son's baseball tournament and the team had a block of rooms at Sunset Station. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the resort. We tried 3 of the several restaurants including the buffet which was reasonably priced with an assortment that rivaled those on the strip. Cabo, the Mexican restaurant onsite was excellent as well.

They have a 72 lane bowling alley and movie theater as well as arcade and food court to keep the kids busy. The casino itself had a mix of locals and out of towners but without a lot of partiers that frequent the strip. Any and all games were present and you could find a seat at a table any time of day. They have a very large race and sports book if that is your poison and a poker room as well.

Our room with 2 queens was a decent size, clean and well kept. The only issue was that we had was that we had to call down for extra towels daily as they would only leave us 3 even though we clearly had 4 people in the room. We never tried room service since it was only open from 6 am to 9 pm and we only use it for late night snacks.

The only other issue we had (Hence the four stars) was at check in. The clerk wanted to put us on the 2nd floor while the majority of our group was on the 20th. She was stubbornly telling us that we paid a lower rate and couldn't be that high. I pointed out that the person checking in next to us paid the same rate and was part of our same group and was on the 20th floor. we had to get a manager involved which was rather frustrating for something so minor but in the end we got on the 20th floor next to our teammates.

Overall I would highly recommend Sunset Station for a family trip if you want to avoid the hassles of the strip.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view of the valley which is spectacular at night.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Escondido, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a Thursday night, while visiting family in Henderson. It's a really cool looking casino - inside and out - and is in a really great location. There is a mall and Walmart across the street, plenty of restaurant options and The Strip is just a short drive away.

We got in late (close to midnight), but the man at the front desk was inviting and welcoming. We checked in and we're in our room in less than 10 minutes. The room was clean and comparable to a Days Inn or nicer Super 8. The linens, however, smelled like they had been left in a washing machine too long. Either that or urine, so I'm hoping it was the washing machine. The bed was comfortable, and there were plenty of pillows. The shower head was a nightmare. I believe it's the same water pressure used to wash elephants down at a circus. Any adjustments turn the fire hose into a kinked garden hose. The other downside to the room was that any time someone flushed a toilet, it sounded like they were flushing a bowling ball. It woke me up a handful of times throughout the night, and was really annoying around 6:30 a.m., when the older clientele began to stir.

Again, this is Vegas (Henderson), and I didn't come to spend my time in a hotel room. I really enjoyed the casino floor. The dealers were friendly, and everyone at the tables seemed to be having a good time. They had all of my favorite slots and some new ones I hadn't seen before. I was signed up for the rewards club when I checked in, and one of the slot attendants was able to provide me a players card with $3 in free play.

My experience here overall was a positive one. The room was cheap (less than $30), and I really enjoyed the casino. However, for $30 you can find a nicer (quieter) room in the area. If you're looking for a place to play, I highly recommend Sunset Station.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Casper, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are big and clean and the staffs all very friendly but I can hear the people in the room next to us so well it sounds like they are in the room with us. I have the tv on and still can hear every word they are saying. I called and asked to be switched rooms but was denied. For the amount of money I spent I could have stayed in a Hampton and not heard anyone else. Very disappointed over all. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was in town for bussiness. When i got there I was surprised on how nice this place was. once you check in, the rooms are on the opposite end of the casino. They have a security gaurd where the elevators are to make sure you have a room key to allow you to go into the elevator. you need to swipe your room key when you get in the elevator to be able to select the floor you are staying on. I thought that was a good thing because you won't have strangers wondering around the hallways. Made me feel extra safe while staying there. The room was very clean, quiet, and the bed was very comfortable. This hotel had alot of places to eat and if you didn't want to eat at the hotel there are plenty of places around the area to go to. It also had a bowling alley, a movie theatre, and a nice game room to entertain people of all ages.The mall was right across the street. The city of henderson is a very nice area for the family. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hotel is definitely showing its age. Wallpaper peeling off the wall and worn carpet are obvious. My room had a strong smell that seemed like paint. I had breakfast in the cafe and was told I would have to wait 15-20 minutes for a table even though there were empty tables as far as the eye could see (understaffed), so I sat at the counter and got average food/service.

Casino is decent, but waitresses are not present in the slot machine areas. I would only consider staying here again as a comped stay. Too many other properties at the same price are better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have stayed here in the past, but this time was different. We booked through Priceline for a great price, but were disappointed with the room. The beds were lumpy, the shower had someone else's hair in the tub, and we were charged $16.95 for amenities that were never used.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Station Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!