“Even better this time” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Even better this time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our first experience at Vic’s wasn’t stellar although the food was good. The second visit was much better.

The new manager Tony is a rock star!

Thanks to him, Vic’s did away with the two separate menus; you know: “the old persons menu” and the menu for “everyone else.” Now there is just one menu. Residents of Sun City Anthem simply present their SCA ID cards and the waiter will deduct 15% from the items they order. (Items ordered by non-residents in the party are not discounted.)

Another improvement since Tony’s arrival: No more ala carte. Last month, we had to pay for the Caesar Salads, the entrees and the side dishes. Now, the meals include the diner’s choice of green or Caesar Salad and an appropriate side dish. (The Spinach Salad is not included in the price of the meal.)

We invited friends to join us for dinner but, based on our first experience, warned them not get their expectations up. All four of us were pleasantly surprised.

Our waiter Kevin was excellent: He had a good sense of humor and was attentive without being intrusive. The manager Tony was out on the floor introducing himself to diners and keeping an eye (and an ear) on things. He checked in on us once during the meal and then, as we were completing the Comment Card, he came by and chatted and joked with us.

My friend Betty asked me to mention how very good the Sangria was. My husband’s beers were cold and served in chilled beer glasses. My Spinach Salad was possibly the best (although certainly not traditional) Spinach Salad I’ve ever had. Betty really liked the vegetable lasagna and, as I did last month, took half of it home. I had the scallops with risotto and it was excellent. My husband and I once again shared the apple tart which was, once again, delicious. The coffee was strong and flavorful. My husband liked the meatloaf but, at $17, thought it was over-priced.

In my first TA Review of Vic’s New American Cuisine, Vic’s scored a 3. Today it earns a 4; meaning there is still room for improvement but, probably thanks to Tony, Vic’s is on the right track.

Opportunities for improvement: The rolls weren’t hot on the 2nd visit. (They were hot a few weeks ago and were VERY good.) Two of the items that should have been discounted 15% (Pellegrino and one of the two desserts) weren’t; hardly worth mentioning but these devilish details prevented Vic’s from scoring a 5. I’m optimistic about my next visit. Keep up the good work!

Advise to diners: If you want fresh ground pepper, just ask for it. They have it. Not sure why they don't offer it....

Vic's staff is trying. I called tonight to cancel dinner reservations and Gigi asked me if there was a problem. When I told her that some of my neighbors agreed to go out to dinner IF we would go somewhere other than Vic's, she was very concerned. She pointed out that they've been using Comment Cards and doing everything they can to provide guests with what they want.

If you're visiting or live in the Valley, try Vic's. If you're an Anthem resident I strongly urge you to try it yourself; make up your own mind; and don't let other people do your thinking for you.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Henderson, Nevada
“.. setting is tops.. food...TBD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

With only one visit so far, and a limited sampling of the menu, only so much can be determined. What was tried was just okay... nothing very special. Service is adequate, portions are typical trendy restaurant (small), prices comparable, wine selection, quite limited and pricey. Will have to go and try again, unfair not to allow a second opportunity.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
beverly hills
“One of the best restaurants ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I heard about this restaurant from a friend and I am so happy that I went there tonight. I grew up in NYC and then moved to LA approximately 8 years ago and I am the product of two foodies. The restaurant is located inside a country club in Henderson and from the minute we walked in the service was amazing. Tony the maitre 'd and Dave the waiter, were first rate. They both knew the menu inside and out and they actually recommended some wine. I have a wine tour company in LA and I was impressed. For dinner we had the thai chicken, which is hands-down the most delicious chicken I have ever eaten, it is served with hash sweet potatoes and sweet potato puree - DELICIOUS! We also had the beef short ribs served over turnip puree, with balsamic vinegar reduction and topped with crunchy onions. My daughter who hardly ever eats a vegetable ate all of the turnips FIRST! We also ordered truffle raviolis with crunchy pistachios on top and slivers of parmesan cheese. After our meal, I had the most interesting desert - nutter butter cookies, dipped in orange soda pancake butter -- which was served with raspberry chambord - PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY GROWN UP STYLE! We also ordered a chocolate covered cheesecake with vanilla, carmel and strawberry syrups!

Such an amazing restaurant with a great staff and FANTASTIC FOOD!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yakima, Washington
“Enjoyed the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I ordered the sea scallops with lobster risotto and it was cooked perfectly. My father had the lamb chops and they were huge! My mother had the apple pork chop and it was delicious as well. We ate later in the evening so it was not crowded and the sunset was amazing. The nutter butter dessert was a fun and great treat. Looking forward to another dinner!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Henderson, Nevada
“no pizazz for the lunch time hamburger”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

HI. our group went to lunch last week, 8 of us. I had the hamburger which what i have heard should have something to write home about but was not. while the ice tea refills are supposed to be no charge i was charged. i should have said something but i thought perhaps this is how it is to find out later no there is no charge for refills. if I had kept my receipt but who keeps these things. anyway I was not impressed with tip for my $23.00 hamburger. for the price i would have to rate this lunch poor.

• 2 of 5 stars Food