“The Grandest Grand Suite...” 5 of 5 stars

Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2300 Paseo Verde Pkwy, Henderson, NV 89052   |
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
Denver, Colorado
“The Grandest Grand Suite...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

I was fortunate to be able to visit Green Valley Ranch for the first time in January 2007. I am a Boarding Pass member of the Station Casinos and get many comps and offers each month at their various properties, but received an offer for 3 free nights here (quite surprisingly as this is one of their more upscale properties).

Arriving in Las Vegas very late on the first night, the layout of the property seemed a little confusing at first, which some users have commented about. It really helped out to stop and get a map of the property upon arrival. One thing to make note of is that the location of the casino in relation to the hotel lobby entrance are complete opposites. The parking garage out front is the first thing you'll see coming in off the highway, but the hotel lobby entrance is actually on the complete other side of the property, far from the casino. This is something to consider if you've got bags and are not using valet parking. I did happen to notice that there is a new parking garage, The Paseo Verde Garage, which is now located on the corner of Paseo Verde Drive and Carnegie (the property's surrounding back and side roads), right next to the hotel lobby. This is definitely where you want to park, not only for convenience to the hotel, but it's much less crowded.

Check-in was very rapid and led to a couple of surprises. As many of you know, casinos very greatly in the incidental room deposits they charge people. Some don't charge anything, while others can charge a fortune. It was stated that there is a 19.95 per night resort fee, which I was expecting, but it was waived since it was a comp offer. I've never had to pay incidental deposits at any Station Casinos property. However, the front desk required a $150 per night incidental deposit, and this isn't stated anywhere directly. Being a slightly more upscale property, I guess they can get away with it, but it's important to watch out for these charges, at both check-in and check-out, especially if using a debit or credit card...your trip can get ruined as the money's gone as soon as you check in! I opted to pay the deposit in cash, which was no problem for them, and got it all back at check-out. (Probably better on my end, so I didn't spend all my money in the casino).

The next surprise was when the desk clerk said, "We appear to be sold out of standard rooms." "What does that mean?" I asked. He said, "Well, we'll just have to give you a free upgrade." The upgrade was to one of the Grand Suites in the West Tower which normally run $650-$700 per night! I'd say, that was quite the upgrade, as comped rooms sometimes tend to be the cheaper, standard ones. Along the way, I heard the music pumping from the Whiskey Bar and I can see how the vibrations can affect guests in the East Tower, as others have mentioned here. When I got to Grand Suite 2203, it was like stepping into another world.

I'm a low roller and haven't stayed in too many suites, so I had never seen anything like this place. I was almost scared to touch anything at first. A half bathroom was located in the foyer. Through the hallway opened into the living room, complete with a fully stocked martini bar (Grey Goose flavored vodka, bleu cheese stuffed olives, the works), a mini-bar complete with everything from snacks to condoms, a solid oak table with four chairs, a dual-line cordless phone, a floor-to-ceiling painting of a nude woman, armoire with plasma TV and stereo DVD system, a fur-lined sofa, loveseat and coffee table.

Moving into the bedroom led to some more unique artwork, a recliner chair, a Bose DVD system, another amoire with TV and wet bar, and a large writing desk. Fur-lined pillows and Egyptian cotton sheets on the pillow-topped king size bed, along with huge closets everywhere. Safe, ironing board, laundry bags, completely stocked.

The bathroom was huge, complete with robes, slippers, a scale, a large jetted tub, dual sinks, a glass-enclosed steam shower and a separate toilet room.

Housekeeping and turn-down service were excellent, and came twice daily. The daily paper was delivered each morning at my door, which featured the newer electronic push-button "Do Not Disturb" signs.

The casino was awesome, it seemed like a Spanish/Mediterranean type decor as many of their other properties are. All of the newest, loose slot and video poker machines everywhere, and lots of action at the tables as well. By the end of the trip, I was $500 ahead and played mostly the newer multiline penny machines.

The only restaurant I visited was Fatburger, which is always great. I don't patronize high-end casino restaurants and usually opt to save money by eating elsewhere. It was very convenient having several restaurants, supermarkets and pharmacies within a 2-3 block radius of the property. The District is a shopping plaza located right next door with many high-end shops and a few restaurants, but I didn't get a chance to check it out.

Check-out was a breeze, and I received the full amount of my $450 incidental deposit back without a problem.

To sum things up, this property is awesome, and this was one of my best trips to Vegas. I prefer the off-strip casinos and hotels, so this worked out great (especially the upgrade). The location is close to some of the other properties I visit which was also good. The staff seemed very friendly and organized. I'd recommend Green Valley Ranch to everyone, it's like a whole little world far away from the Strip.

• Liked — Casino, location, got a free room upgraded to a free suite.
  • Disliked — The incidental deposit rates that are not directly advertised - be careful if using a debit/credit card.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

We just came back fromour stay at GVR and must admit it is a very nice property with a lot going for it. Guess it just depends how old or young at heart you are. The rooms are a nice sice with a large bathroom, hot water we found out might take a while. turn down service only happend on the last night and if you run short on supplies for the room you better ask for it may not be replaced. good response if you call though. The music is at a younger level, r&b rap, etc and it will continue all day by the poolarea and the private pool area until about 11pm. so if you like your nap or are earlybirds or simply do not like a lot of bass rattling your windows until that time avoid the east wing for sure. liked the spa area and a good steam. lots of cigarette butts in various places since people cannot find convinient ashtrays. had dinner at Il fornaio, a group of 30 and it was excellent. So a mixed bag and i expected a little better quality for the amount charged so next time might be closer to down town.

• Liked — stylish
  • Disliked — music
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

My husband and I went to the Green Valley for our anniversary and to attend a concert over Memorial Day weekend and had a great time. The hotel and service is top notch, and the District next door (shops and restaurants) is great. This is a great place to stay if you want to have a lot of activity (shopping, restaurants, great dining, concert, casino) but don't want the hecticness of the Vegas Strip. There was no reason to leave - great pool, great grounds, restaurants. We especially liked Lucille's Barbecue in the District and the Tides Oyster Bar at the Green Valley.

• Liked — The amenities
  • Disliked — a little spendy - but worth it
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Hollywood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

The architecture, grounds, landscaping of the Green Valley Ranch Resort is utterly beautiful. Has a magical Spanish hacienda aesthetic to it. Very roomy and airy as well.

The pool/outdoor lounge/spa area is relaxing and family-friendly. There is sand for the kiddies to play, which leads to the shallow end of the pool, but isn't deep or serious enough for big teens & adults who want to swim laps.

The Randy Gerber-designed bar area was intimate but too contemporary & modern-chic for a Spanish hacienda-styled hotel.

The buffet food was great, BUT be warned, the bathrooms are not even in the dining area. You have to walk out of the dining area, pass the casino, find the sushi restaurant, and it'll be to the left of it.

Who thought of that?!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2007

My wife and I had a great vacation in Las Vegas in March. We stayed at the very elegant Green Valley Resort located in Henderson about 10 minutes from the strip and five minutes from the airport.

The trip started in Atlanta. We drove to Birmingham to fly Southwest. Some call Birmingham - Atlanta West airport. The flights on Southwest for the trip were always on time and it is amazing how they seem to turn every flight around in around 25 minutes from the time the plane arrives at the gate until our flight leaves the gate. A very organized business. The only downside to SW is there are few direct flights.

Picked up a car in Vegas from Avis. We had great service and got a great car for the price. The only problem is the try to hard sell you the very over-priced car insurance.

The Green Valley Resort is located in the suburbs of Vegas. It is located in an upscale part of Vegas and is located across from a very nice shopping mall with a grocery store and a Cheesecake Factory,both of which we shopped. The grocery store is an upscale store and the Cheescake factory is as good as all previous Cheesecake factories we have visited around the US.

We went to two shows while in Vegas. We saw George Wallace at the Flamingo and saw KA at the MGM Grand. Both shows were great, Wallace is very funny and KA is a very well done Cirque show with an unbelievable stage. It rises over 60 feet and rotates 360 degrees. You have to see it to believe!

The one downside for our trip was our dinner at the Craftsteak house in the MGM. It was a very over priced, with poor service and below average food. We went to the restaurant because we were in the hotel to see KA. We would have been better offf going to Burger King.

I had never been to the Green Valley before and I highly recommend the hotel. The rooms are big and well designed, the service was excellent and the hotel is very well managed. We will definitely go back again!

Kootenays, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2007

We spent three nights at the Green Valley Resort in one of their executive rooms during the first weekend in March. The room was excellent, quiet, made up twice a day, good sound system; and the terrace was a real pleasure. It would have been nicer to have a little sun on the terrace this time of year but I am sure its orientation is great for those hotter times.

We aren't much on gambling but the casino seemed very popular. We enjoyed the district (adjacent shopping area) and, mostly, the spa. The spa has the usual range of treatements which my wife enjoyed. It is also the home of an excellent workout facility and lap-pool (and jacuzzis, saunas, steam rooms etc.). It was easy to spend three hours in the spa (without treatments).

I didn't like Las Vegas so I doubt I'll go back to this hotel (or any other there); but if I could find a hotel like this in a place I like better, I'd definitely go back.

Stayed March 2007
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2007

I stayed there for 2 nights this last Wed and Thurs. The lobby is well-appointed with comfy chairs and mediterranean-type decor. I stayed in the West Tower on the 5th floor overlooking the pool area. The room was bigger than the average Vegas hotel room and had very comfortable 2 queen beds and a large closet. The bathroom was relatively clean (some of the grout was peeling and dirty; dark marks on the walls). The condition of the room was quite nice.
I manage to sleep through most noises and am used to typical ambient "hotel room noise." Unfortunately, during my stay at GVR, I hardly got any sleep. It started off with being able to hear my next door neighbor's cell phone ring (I could recognize the tune it was playing). I overheard him having a conversation about the convention he was attending downstairs. I was then able to hear him cough and sneeze throughout the night (he seemed to have a slight cold). I then heard the familiar repetitive squeaking of a bed for about an hour (that was actually the neighbor below us). I think my favorite part was listening to my direct next door neighbor snoring (must have been nasal congestion due to the cold). I can honestly say that I have never learned so much about another person through a wall. I would rather sleep in my car next time, which is a pity since the bed was nice and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!