“Nice - fees disappointing” 4 of 5 stars

Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2300 Paseo Verde Pkwy, Henderson, NV 89052   |
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
New Jersey
“Nice - fees disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Just returned from a 3 night stay at Green Valley Ranch for the 4th of July weekend. The location is about a 10 minute drive from a strip right next to a shopping plaza called The District. The hotel itself is lovely, the lobby has an elegant look and feel to it, and our room was quite spacious. We were in the East Tower on the 2nd floor. This faces the casino parking garage. While a strip view would have been nice (the hotel didn't seem at all to be packed), it didn't bother us. The bed is comfortable and the bathoom is quite nice, with a large tub and separate stand up shower.

Did not get a chance to lay out by the pool, but it looked quite inviting and there seemed to be a mix of people - families with young children as well as young couples. Did not venture into "The Pond" - there is a high wall around the outside. I'm not sure if this is to hide whatever activities were going inside or try to keep the loud thumping music from disrupting the rest of the resort. My husband and I went to the Spa to check out the sauna/steam room/gym/lap pool. The Spa was top notch - the disappointment being the loud music from The Pond drowning out the more serene music at the lap pool.

GVR put on an impressive fireworks display for the 4th and it was nice to be able to be by the pool and enjoy the show.

Ate at Sushi & Sake as well as Hank's Steakhouse. S&S is a smaller,open restaruant facing the casino. The sushi was pretty good and so was their selection of sake. Hank's was quite amazing. The decor definitely gave it an elegant feel - food was excellent (had the Chateaubriand for 2) and so was their martinis. Prices are quite high though, higher than what i would pay for a good steakhouse here in the NYC area.

The one thing that was really annoying was the resort fees. Yes I had done my research and knew there were daily fees $28 per day when its all said and done. I just think its ridiculous that I'm paying for the spa facilities that I may not use. I'd rather not get charged and pay for it if I choose to go.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Phoenix, Az
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Stayed at GVR for 4 days, had 2 rooms. I stay in Vegas probably 7 days a month, traveling w/ my husband because one of his wk locations is Vegas. I havent stayed at GVR in probably 3 yrs and decided to stay there this trip since we had our two kids w us ( 15 & 16 yrs old )
The rooms are really nice. Regular size rm for vegas. The beds were comfortable but it seemed like our kids room was beat up a little more than ours ( we had a king rm, they had 2 queens) The bathrooms were nice, but small. The sister resort Red Rock has much bigger bathrooms.
If you play slot machines, you might be disappointed. It seemed like they were very limited to certain machines. Didnt see any top dollar, pinball, red hottie, etc ......
The cocktail waitress walking around the casino are very limited and rather rude, even tho i would tip them every time.
The service at the restaurants was all over the place. One day they would be great and the next time it was horrible!
The pool is a beautiful set up. All the lounges are very comfortable and the towels all seemed some what new, all tho one morning we did have to wait 45 minutes to even get towels. For the size of this hotel, I did feel that the pool was on the smaller size!
The hotel is probably a 15 minute ride to the strip ( on a good day, w limited traffic! )
There is a mall about 5 minutes away and there are shops and restaurants just outside the hotel. There is a cinema inside the hotel.
Here is the reason I will not go back ...... " resort fees!"
we had 2 rms for 3 nights and $24.99 a night!! Thats right, we paid $149.94 plus tax for "resort fees" on top of the reg price per night. Most hotels in vegas that are charging resort fees are no more than $12 per night. Everyone needs to be aware of these fees! And there are still many hotels in vegas that are not charging these fees (yet).
We usually stay on the strip. My favorite is The Palazzo or Wynn ( no fees) for the obvious reasons and location. The Bellagio, Venetian, Mirage, and Mgm are also great hotels!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Booked hotel room online, decent rate as I attended a conference on-site. The airport shuttle only runs on a limited schedule. (9AM-9PM) I had to take a cab on the way back to the airport that was pricey. Upon check in, hotel staff were very nice, it was a little ackward finding my room. The room iself was one of the best I have ever stayed in. I had a suite which included a pool table and mutiple restrooms. The shower was my favorite part which included side shower heads and steam. This was great for my allergies. Ate on-site at the restaurants and they all had exception customer service and the food quality was top notch.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Just checked into this hotel. I am staring at the concrete 4 story parking garage and i am checking out tomorrow. one hour ago, i strolled up to the reception desk. Here with my wife sponsoring a conference that decided to have it at the hotel. Since we were a marketing sponsor, we ended up bringing over 200 room nights to this hotel over the next 3 days. When i checked in, i received arguablly the worst room in the hotel. I spoke to Natha Alo the night manager and explained my company was on every sign around the hote for the big conference this weekend and that we were responsible for bringing over 200 rooms and i did not want to stay in a room starring at the concrete jungle.

this was suppose to be vegas, not a motel in Compton. Well he shrugged his shoulders and said i should go look at the room. i told him i stay in hotels more than 100 nghts a year and i knew a ground floor on the parking lot side would be bad. He said go look.

I looked and i phoned him back 5 minutes later and told him the room was brutal and that i needed to change or i was checking out. I brought my wife for the weekend and i was not staying at the motel 6. He said he would change me the next day for $20. I told him i already spent that in the mini bar but if he wanted $20 more dollars no problem but my experience was brutal.

I would never stay here...i would never tell anyone to every stay here. And i would tell everyone i know to run away from here.

It is in the middle of no where, the room is horrible, the manager is brutal, and they have never heard of customer service. If i want that i will stay at my mother in laws <g>

They must have a lot of job openings in vegas to have management as brutal as this.

From a Hilton Diamond member and Starwood Gold, Go far far away from this hotel. Don't wreck your vacation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

This is a great place to have a conference. The facilities were excellent, and the hotel itself was more than we could have asked for. If you are coming to see the strip, you will need a rental car because cab fare would kill you if you take more than a couple of trips, but this resort has restaurants (including a food court), a casino, a movie theatre, a spa, and a very large pool area. It is also surrounded by a very nice area called The District containing all kinds of shops and restaurants, and there is a trolley that will drive you around this area. For the purposes of a business conference, it was very nice to be removed somewhat from the strip because it is definitely a hectic party atmosphere down there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

Just back from 4 nights at the Green Valley Ranch, and it was more than my wife & I had hoped for. Yes, it's not on the strip, so big deal - what was important is that the staff was superior to any staff at any other LV hotel where we have stayed. The casino action is better, the restaurants are better, the opportunity to relax is better.

Yes there are great shops off property near-by if you choose and the neighborhood is completely safe for walking. But when you are so welcomed on property why would you ever want to leave? Green Valley Ranch - they will get all of our business here on out.

Treat yourself.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Asheville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

My husband had a conference here for 2 days, so we tacked on 2 more to go see some shows on the strip.

This is one of the nicest places I've stayed. I was blown away by the grounds, especially the outdoor area-the pool, the large sectional seating couches, the paths through the vineyards that have been planted. The cypress trees and palm trees are gorgeous. The staff were all friendly and seemed happy.

There is an amazing view of the strip, about 8 miles away, from the pool area. Really neat. The nightime lighting is lovely and very romantic for a stroll around the pool area.

They do have a free shuttle to transport you to and from the strip. The times are a little limiting, but it helps you avoid a cab ride, which was about $35.00 from the strip to the hotel.

The Hoover Dam is only about 22 miles away, and the concierge can get you a rental car for about $40.00. It's cool to see.

We used the "frontdesktip.com" to ask for a complimentary upgrade. We believe we were upgraded to an "executive room", about 800 sq ft, and it overlooked the pool-gorgeous view. Huge room with a huge bathroom, shower and seperate tub, dressing table, two clothes closets. Sink in bathroom did have a crack that could have used some cosmetic repair, and a piece of bullnose tile was missing from shower, but really minor cosmetic things easily overlooked. Room was 3013, by the way.

Excellent housekeeping every day, fresh sheets and towels, newspaper hung on doorknob outside daily. (ok, this goes against my "save the planet and reuse your towels and linens," but I just craved this luxury for once!)

It is hard to compare rooms on the website. They don't really give you a clear comparision of a "king room", an "executive room" etc, so it is hard to tell what the differences are.

My husband gives a thumbs up to the conference rooms and such.

Here are your two big bummers-- they DO NOT tell you about a "resort fee" that they tack on daily. It came out to about $28.00 a day extra. I only found out about his by reading another review on trip advisor, so I wasn't shocked, but I think it's sneaky not to just put it out there up front that there is an extra "resort fee."

And number two-"the pond" is a smaller seperate pool area that they tout as "european style bathing". I was imagining a laid back place to do a little topless sunbathing, if desired. I have been to nude spas in Europe, and honey, this is not it. It was simply a bass pounding, way too loud music party for 20 year olds. I was EXTREMELY dissapointed. I was lying on a beautiful cube bed outside, relaxing and reading my book, when the "party" started. After 10 minutes of bass thumping annoyance, I went in and asked the manager if they couldn't turn the volume down by 1/3. Please. And I point out that the lobby is suffused with lovely classical music, so this was a real incongruance to the image and atmosphere they are trying to project. Unfortunately, he could not help me. Later that day, when getting ready for a dinner that night, we could still hear and feel the the bass in our room on the 3rd floor! My husband called again to lodge a complaint, and "shockingly" was told that they had many complaints that day. Imagine. I don't understand why catering to about 20 people for a pool party overides the desire of many to be in a tranquil environment.

In contrast, the music played over the speakers at the large pool area I found perfectly acceptable and not really distracting or annoying.

Another minor thing, the restaurants are in the casino area. So you have to walk through the casino to get to these and/or any of the bars. We did not eat here though.

You should explore "the district." It's a beautifully laid out, outdoor shopping area. You walk outside, down a wide path with trees, and the shops are on either side of you. There is a reasonably priced restaurant called Rachel's that has good food. Also has Kings Fish House, which is pricey, but really good meal.

I would still recommend this hotel, and I would like to stay here again, but I will know next time to avoid the "pond" area and all areas immediately around it, because the music bleeds over so much you can't enjoy any of the amenities around it, like the cube beds or sectional couches outside the lobby.

Thanks for reading this longish review!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!