“Matt Sacca and The GVR” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2300 Paseo Verde Pkwy, Henderson, NV 89052   |
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
“Matt Sacca and The GVR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2006

My family was also staying at the GVR at the beginning of this year. I enjoy gambling and average about 2000 dollars a bet on the blackjack tables. My friend, Joe Mcquire is an old friend of Matt Sacca, one of thier hosts and recomended we stay at the GVR.

Matt was there to meet us at the airport and he really is one helluva guy. During the short trip to the resort, Matt outlined what he had in plan us. Two days in thier luxury spa for my wife and daughter, whilst my son and I were to go sky diving one day and to the racetrack the next !

We were staying in the whiskey suite in thier new east tower and it was nothing short of amazing. We could have spent the whole vacation in that suite ! The attention to detail - from the marble in the bathrooms to the choice of coffee table books on the coffee table was perfect. That evening, a bald chef named Joe cooked us an exquisite barbeque in our own room. Matt stayed with us to eat and then took us to the high limit gaming room.

This is a high class affair and a private table was arranged for our us. The staff were attentive and charming throughout. Matt's prescence was very welcome - my wife even joked that he was something of a lucky charm !

The next day the our newspaper hadn't arrived. We spoke to a young lady, Ninya, who promised to deliver us one later in the day. Otherwise our morning was blissfull, the food once again perfect.

Matt called us to confirm our bookings at the spa and airport (for sky-diving) and we were off. My son and I had one of the most exhillerating experiences possible - sky-diving - whilst my wife and daughter had a relaxing though no less enjoyable time at the spa. They really enjoyed the treatments and found the staff extremely attentive, I asked them if they could find any fault with the place. "I would like some candy such as M&M's when I'm being pampered." said my daughter. My wife also noted that the arrangement of fruit in the bowl was rather odd, "Who on earth put all the apples on top ?" she said.

That evening we ate in thier steakhouse restaurant. Again the food was perfect. After a quick drink in thier whisky bar, we met up with Matt and saw the Ultimate Fighting gig from the front row with tickets he'd comped for us.

It seemed Matt could manage just about anything. Not only that, he did with a sense that he really wanted us to have a good time. Back at the ranch we met up with my wife and daughter who had been to the biggest show in town with front row tickets comped by guess who ? Matt Sacca !

Before moving to the tables again we were introduced to Wayne Shadd, one of Matt's friends at the whisky bar. He's crazy too - on the friendly rather than violent side if you know what I mean. Matt left to meet some other guests and Wayne explained he was to be our host at the racetrack in the morning.

Our night on the tables was less profitable without our lucky charm beside us but we all went to bed with smiles on our faces.

The next day a paper was delivered with our breakfast, unfortuneatly it was the paper we had ordered yesterday ! Ninya said she would send us up a new one.

As promised Wayne called us in the morning and we took a limo to the track. It was a beautiful day and we all enjoyed ourselves. One of our party, Seth enjoyed himself so much that we didn't realise he was a member of staff until we were driving back ! We were even given the privelidge of presenting a trophy from a GVR sponsered race and met up with the jockey and owner.

Later that day we relaxed by our own private pool and watched the sun go down. That night we went to a party organised by Dave Demontillo. It was a fairly dull with tacky gaint casino chips and cards everywhere, Dave made us feel awkward because we wanted to leave. he kept mentioning another party called, "JC2K." Saying it was much better than the "flimsy New Years in New York." Because we had been to neither, we were not in a position to judge the merits of either party but we were very happy to leave.

Finally we went for our last night in the high limit gaming room. Matt, as good as his word, had already aranged a private table for us all and supervised us throughout the night ! I have to say we came home with more money than we could have ever dreamed of thanks to Matt's clever betting advice.

In the morning it was time to go. Ninya came up to wish us on our way at 10 o'clock despite the fact that we had pre-arranged to check out at 2 o'clock. we asked her for the newspaper and she made an excuse blaming her staff and ignoring our requests!

Finally, after a few cell phones to the management we were told to ignore ninya's aggressive manner and we checked out at our agreed time. Matt Sacca even came to say goodbye.

In summary, the GVR is as close as you can get to a 4 star hotel without it being a 3 star. The prices should reflect this.

It has many faults but we loved our stay.

• Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2006

The nicest views, clean rooms and good staff!
A very relaxing couple days here, and you really do not want to go anywhere else. Always open tables and cool dealers, who enjoyed their work! 9.5 of 10

• Stayed February 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at GVR during New Year's and we absolutely loved the place! We had been to Vegas before and we both wanted to try somewhere new, and we were not disappointed...
The hotel is simply beautiful. I loved the architecture, decor, everything! The layout can be somewhat confusing, however, we were given a map at check-in and easily found our way around, as there are signs throughout the hotel and casino. The pool area is landscaped beautifully (although we didn't try it since it was cold), but I would love to visit during the summer. Our room was decorated in a European style and it was simply huge! The bathroom was magnificant, with a separate shower and large tub. The towels are extra large and very soft, and there are also super-plush robes to wear around the room. Not to mention the bed- It was like sleeping on air! I wanted to buy the entire bed- sheets and all:)!! In addition, Our room had a very well stocked mini-bar/fridge, with anything you could ever need. The prices per item were kind of expensive, but hey- it's a vacation, indulge!
The buffet offers a large variety of foods, however, the salad bar was lacking somewhat, but other than that we had no complaints. In the casino, we were able to acquire player's cards without hassle, and the entire process was explained to us by the staff. There are tons of slots in the casino, all of which cover a large range of costs. I was even able to make $70 on nickle slots- a high for me :). There are a lot of gaming tables, and all of the dealers we encountered were very friendly and helpful while we played. One area of improvement would defintely be the cocktail waitresses- There seemed to only be a few, and those who were working practically ran by, making it difficult to ask for a drink.
Overall, we highly reccomend this hotel to anyone visiting Vegas. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, and I don't think you will be disappointed! Plus, if you need a break from gambling, there is a cute shopping area within walking distance from the hotel.

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

Recent three night stay at GVR to celebrate wife’s birthday. Wanted non strip experience as we stay on strip 4-6x year. Obtained a casino rate from a host. Had been to casino one time for a few hours but was never rated despite asking and given players card. Difficult to drive up to hotel entrance as not marked well. Check in went fair. Had been promised an east wing king room, offered west but settled for 2 queens. Hike to East wing requires 2 different elevators. Room was very nice, comfy beds, roomy bathroom with separate shower and bath. No TV in bathroom but speaker from bedroom TV provided sound without pic. Nice view overlooking pool/spa and strip in distance.
Ate Kings Fish House next door in District. Loud with adequate food, not a repeat.
Casino dealers friendly not great luck at the tables. Wife played VP and hit a Royal and bailed me out.
Following night dinner at Il Forniao, reasonable and nice meal. Hanks Steak next night. They had wrong time for reservation arrived 1 hour late according to the book. Seated within 30 mins. Beautiful bar and restaurant. Waiter fair/indifferent. Food excellent but $$. Not offered birthday dessert despite noted on reservation.
Now the worst, awoke 6:30am last day, no hot water. Told a breaker blew and would have water in 30 mins. Three hours later still no hot water .Only after three calls and getting transferred to manager offered access to spa to shower. Had not used spa before because prices ridiculously out of line.
Contacted host for check out, horrible comp given compared to MGM and Harrahs properties. Asked about rating, again they screwed up saying my average bet $ which was actually my minimum spred. .
It’s been 3 days, multiple calls, told by front desk would be given $50 credit for water inconvenience Advised that was not acceptable and asked to speak to manager. No one has returned the call. Will contact credit card company next. Nice rooms do not out weigh POOR customer service making this “4 star” resort a NO REPEAT for us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

we recently stayed at GVR. They were beyond our expectations. The most fantastic place to stay, play and relax. Will never go anywhere else but there when traveling to Vegas. We absolutely loved it!!

Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

Green Valley Ranch is the best place to stay in Las Vegas. The rooms are luxurious, spacious and clean. Unlike most hotels on the Strip, you do not have to access you hotel room via a smoky Casino. When you are in your room, you can experience peace and quiet. However, when you want to party, the Casino is easily accessible. The Casino itself is very spacious, the dealers are very friendly. We ate at the new Steakhouse, Hanks. The decor is amazing, the bar scene there is upscale. The service was very good. My only criticism is the food; the portions are gigantic (too large for 95% of the population unless you're are a linebacker in the NFL). A 28oz. Ribeye is a bit much. The choices were very interesting. However, the Chef needs to utilize some spices in his preparation. We tried a number of items, and they were all very bland.
Other than that, everything was fantastic...I can't say enough good things about this spectacular resort.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Pasadena ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2005

How do I begin to explain the splendor and perfection of GVR? From the moment we stepped out of our car to the gracious send off back home, we were treated with superior service, unexpected comfort and absolutely breathtaking surroundings.

Although we were staying during the busiest week of the year (holidays) the staff was friendly, very efficient and anxious to please.Check in was smooth and our room was beyond outstanding. Honestly, the spacious, beautifully furnished room with a magnificantly appointed marble bath far exceeded my expectations and I found it to be better than the Ritz Carlton Laguna or Pasadena as well as any Westin. The ceilings were high with mouldings, tasteful wallcovering, and the linens were immaculate. Everything was very high quality and well thought out.

The lobby, and rest of the areas are gracious with spectacular, large scaled furnishings. In the evenings there are candles lit around every welcoming corner, beckoning one to settle in for a glass of Merlot.Because GVR is off the strip just far enough (both my parents said this is the only place they will ever stay again, and since I invited them I was relieved as before we went they could not imagine why it is a bonus NOT to stay on the strip) there is a sense of "coming home" to your private, quiet retreat after a trip to the strip.

The men in our party; my husband, brother and dad, all had a great time at GVR's casino (the ladies prefer shopping across the street at the District) and were there before breakfast and every chance they could. They all did well and don't want me to share that this is the best place to play. My dad and brother plan on bringing their business groups here for their next Vegas stays.

I was especially impressed that when housekeeping (Alicia and Mateo were so cheerful, friendly and prompt) brought the beautiful wooden crib up to the room for our son, there was an entire package of small sized bath products for baby! I did not bring baby shampoo and was planning on heading down to the gift shop hoping they had some, and was so thrilled. To a mom, things like that are so helpful, particularly since he was coming down with a fever while we were there. There was also a very fresh velour blanket and nice bumper pad in the crib. At the Westin they give you a cheap, small metal crib with a rock hard matteress and no blanket, let alone the lovely baby products.

Forgive me for going on and on, but every inch of our experience at GVR could not have been more outstanding. The only aspect of our stay I would have changed would have been to have truly non smoking areas in the fantastic restaurants (we ended up eating there every meal because of the high quality and service) but personally I have a very hard time with the cigarette smoke everywhere in Vegas. It is much, much better though at GVR than the strip. which because of crowds, smoke and noise were almost unbearable. They have air fresheners at GVR that waft through the hallways, I think. They do their best but for me that is just a problem I have with Las Vegas.
It would have been nice to have a small hotel type refridgerator that was cold and not full of items for purchase, but compared to the flawless experience at GVR, it was a minor point.

I can't wait to return in warmer weather to enjoy that magnificent pool.If you are thinking of going, do not hesitate.Everyone I spoke to was very impressed at the hotel and felt like they had found gold.As we sadly got into our car to return home, we were given water bottles for our journey home across the desert.

We sort of sat stunned at the perfectly wonderful experience for every member of our party as we gazed at the beautifull Argentinian architecture dwindling in the distance.

Fabulous job, everyone at GVR, it seems to me you should be a five plus star resort.

Stayed December 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Summerlin
Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa
Enterprise
South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!