“Resort Fee means I won't be back!” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2300 Paseo Verde Pkwy, Henderson, NV 89052   |
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maryland
“Resort Fee means I won't be back!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I enjoyed my stay here. I'd visited often to gamble, but this was my first time staying here. And a summer special of two nights for $125 was a good deal. The room was on the small side, and very dark. Even with all the lights on it was still dark. Nice TV, nice bathroom.

Casino was decent, I enjoyed playing VP in the Irish pub and getting comped Smithwicks early in the evening; later at night the bar becomes a hangout for a younger crowd of locals and this old guy had to go! Enjoyed a breakfast at Original Pancake House, good service and good value.

So with all that being said, I'm sorry I won't be back to the place. I just consider "resort fees" to be such a rip-off. I think it was $25 per day, and I went to the pool once for about an hour, other than that I didn't use any of the "services" that the resort fee "covers".

If the property simply charged an extra $25 per night and rolled it into the rates, I would not complain. But the "resort fee" makes this customer feel "abused", quite frankly. So I won't be back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
las vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

hello, I ordered the crab cake app, it came out so burned on the bottom that I could not believe they even served it. I sent it back and in a couple of minutes a bus boy brought me out my new crab cake (he made a point to say "here is your carb cake, barley seared. " It was not cooked at all, it was a microwaved hot pile of mush. not only did they burn the first order but they tried to send me a microwave crab cake in one minute to make up for it. After I sent this one back the bartender looked at me like I was a problem, never have I had this bad of service in my life. Dont serve a $18.00 dollar crab cake app if you cant even cook right in to 2 tries. If you charge $98.00 for a lobster tail and $56.00 for a stake. please learn how to cook first, and hire a manager that knows how to talk to a guest.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Thousand Oaks, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We thought we had gotten a great rate, but we were disappointed when we checked in to learn that our room could not accommodate 2 adults and 3 kids. We had to get a 2nd room and pay the resort fee for both rooms. Our room faced a wall. When I asked the front desk why we faced a wall when the hotel was so vacant, I was told that we paid for a standard room - make that 2 rooms. With such a low occupancy rate, an upgrade would have been nice. Other than that, this hotel was a good choice since we wanted to be away from the strip. It was quiet, had an Original Pancake house in the building (the BEST german and dutch baby pancakes!) and a terrific pool.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We decided to stay here since we received a great deal. Check in was lacking to say the least. I think the receptionist used about 20 words total. "Driver's License." "Credit Card." "Staying for 2 nights?" "You are in room ****." "Walk that way to the elevators, turn right, then left, then right." I almost couldnt believe I got lost.

To start, the room was average and was a little worn. It was 110 outside and 82 in the room. The room stayed pretty warm the whole stay. We called down when we cranked the A.C and did not notice a difference in an hour. Maintenance came up and said it was adequate. Well, I am sure motel 6 is also adequate but I was not paying for adequate.

The pool: It looked great, but it was pretty small and very crowded. Pool service was good.

The Spa: we used the "lap" pool area and there was plenty of room. The showers were extremely nice with a huge waterfall shower heads. Get the most out of your $28 resort fee and shower here in the morning.

The Whiskey: Closed! What is happening to this town?

Overall, not what I was expecting from a hotel that was charging $300/night when it was hopping.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas/ Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

My family lives in Henderson and we have a big family. So, I usually stay at GVR. To give you some context around my own perceptions; I travel a lot, from Europe to Asia. I have pretty high standards, usually Ritz, Sheraton, Shangri-La type stuff. I am laid back but know when things are nice and good value. I am not frivolous with my mom but willing to spend for good luxury.

My family always gets a discount to stay at GVR. I have to say that to me it is now average because I have been there so many times. I do recommend to gamble here. The station casinos usually pay better so the locals go here alot . Recently though, the pay out has been down so thus little locals.

Rooms- Great! Nice and clean. The bathroom is huge and the speakers in the bathroom is a nice touch. It still is nice but it is time for some updating. The rooms have not changed much over the six years I have stayed there. The first floor suites are amazing! Large and well furnished. The basic room is a normal size with a large bathroom. The beds are just right for me. Some issues are that the corking around the shower looks depleted and moldy. In some cases, it was coming off the door. Not a big deal to me though. The amenities given by the hotel are great and high quality. Also, getting around the hotel can be confusing. There are a lot of random doors and hallways and you can get mixed. I know that the second floor on the newer part of the hotel was being drastically renovated. I do not know what those look like.

Poo/ Spal- Really cool looking! It gets packed though at most times of the day. The beachfront is neat. The spa pool is much better. Pay the resort fee. The gym is decent. It has everything I need. The heated pool at the spa is priceless. The massage rooms are gorgeous! The hours are good too!

Food- The best part, the pancake house is really popular with locals. The buffet is one of the best. It is almost as good as the Mirage buffet. Plus, the new lofts outside the hotel has the cheesecake factory, Pei Wei, wholefoods, etc. Inside there is a food court with a panda express, smoothie king, and a fat burger. There is a also a REI, which was great for me since I rock climb a lot.
The Whisky bar downstairs is a really popular place. It is a nice bar but the last time I was there it was under-renovations. It is also one of George Clooney's hang out spots when he comes to Vegas.

Location- Far from the strip. This is mainly a local hotel. I don't know many people who stay at this hotel FOR the strip.

Sum up- I would stay here again and again. The new M hotel is closer to my family so I think we will try that soon. I am REALLY into modern minimalism design so I will probably like that hotel a lot. GVR is more of the classic look. Definitely best hotel in GVR and Sun city area, but the M is really the first competition GVR has ever experienced ( South Point and Sunset and much lower in standard, more like 3 stars). Don't expect Bellagio or Wynn style service but definitely nicer than the MGM.

Good 4 to 4.5

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Honolulu, HI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I went here for a conference and if they hold it here again I will be back!!! The rooms were great with lots of room. Separate shower and bath, nice big flat screen, big closet with light too. Work desk but the chair sucked!!!! Not comfortable at all. Free internet and for fee higher speed if you need. Great places to eat in the hotel and a few nearby. There is a movie theaters at the hotel but I don't think that they get many of the first fun movies. This is just my opinion but, I have to say one of the best workout rooms that I've ever used!!! Sorry to say but, I didn't use the SPA because it was a bit expensive for me.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

I planned a 3 night/4 day stay at the Green Valley Resort on Vegas.com. When we arrived we found that there was a $28.00 daily resort fee to stay at the GVR. I had booked this almost a month prior to going and had paid for our room with my c/c. I was floored that they would charge my c/c another $85.00 for our 3 nights! My first thought was that I lost $85 in a slot machine and hadn't even walked onto the casino floor!
We arrived close to midnight and the toilet was running when we entered our room. I called the front desk and the gal told me that someone would be up immediately. An hour later, I called down and told them that my husband would turn off the water under the toilet and they could take care of the problem the next day. The next day seemed like a lifetime as the pillows in our beds were terribly high and uncomfortable!
We brought our children, thinking we could watch a movie there in the hotel/casino. Out of all movies available, there was only 1 PG, the rest were rated R!
I booked this hotel because I thought it would be a nice change from staying on the strip. We normally stay at the Venetian and have never been charged a resort fee! Beware when you book your room! You'll get to the front desk and they'll have you sign that you're authorizing a $28.00 resort fee, daily.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!