“Positively Gorgeous but.....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 27 hotels in Henderson
Surprise, Arizona
“Positively Gorgeous but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I arrived in town for the wedding of my best friend, her soon to be husband is a VIP with Green Valley Ranch and were also staying at the property. I expected a rather seamless check-in based on this. Was I ever wrong!

We arrived at 3 pm and the line to check in was at least 30-40 people deep with what felt like 200 young girls swarming the lobby. It was chaos. Turns out Green Valley Ranch was hosting a dance competition. Think Dance Moms Reality Show and you will have the picture. Even with 'VIP' status they did not get their room until 6 pm that evening and that only happened after the Groom basically rushed the front desk and would not leave. Even with that delay all was not perfect, calls had to be made to unlock the small fridge, to get an additional bath robe, get the luggage delivered.

One unfortunate man had lost all patience trying to get a roll-away bed and was yelling at the front desk clerk wondering what he had to do to get one. Security was called and he was removed.

The entire week-end was affected by mobs of tiny dancers. The Grand Cafe was packed and the wait times for a table were not remotely close to what we were told. Basically add 30 minutes to whatever was said. We had a tired, mumbling server that wasn't able to get our food orders queued up for the kitchen properly. The line for the buffet was 200 people deep.

The pool area was packed with the Dancers and their entourages. As were the halls and every corner of the property with the exception of the casino. One place blessedly free of children.

Now for the good:
The property is amazing as others have said. The landscaping is gorgeous, the pool area is terrific and everything kept spotless.
Valet service extremely prompt and courteous. My room was a single king and nicely decorated. The bed was ok but I've had better hotel beds. Bose radio, Wi-Fi, flat screen TV, in room safe, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, plenty of hangars and one of the most comfy robes I've ever worn included in the room.

There is a fridge but it was packed with the mini-bar items and with prices like $7 for a Gatorade or a $4 soda, you need to bring your own. You may want to bring an ice chest as nothing much will fit in the fridge. There isn't a microwave or coffee maker. That's one way to get you down to the coffee shop to drop $4 on a large plain old cup of coffee.

Plenty of towels and the bathroom was amazing! I liked the hidden speaker so you could enjoy the TV sound in there. Nice touch. Separate tub and shower with the toilet in it's own little room and a lighted make up mirror. The shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and lotion all came in a nice, realistic usage size.
The room was quiet, I couldn't hear anything from the adjoining rooms however the flocks of screaming dancers in the hallway was very clear. Even though the outside temps were breaking records that week-end, my room and the entire property remained nice and cool.

This is an amazing, amazing property. They obviously were not prepared for the Dance Competition and everyone's stay was impacted by that oversight. I would stay again but only AFTER I checked on what else they were hosting during that time.

Room Tip: My room faced the pool, if you can, ask for a third floor room facing the pool. You will have a marv...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1,178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Salt Lake City, UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

As a first time guest at Green Valley Ranch, I was totally impressed with the grounds, the hotel, pool and spa. I made my reservation with a deal from Travel Zoo eight weeks prior to my stay. We arrived at the hotel late, about 8:30 pm and when I checked in, the front desk attendant told me they were overbooked and did not have the room choice I selected (double queen standard). I started to mentally freak out, thinking they were going to have to turn me away but instead offered me the first night in a luxury suite. Uhhh, of course! She told me I had two options - stay in the luxury suite the whole time or switch to my requested room type the next afternoon. I asked if the luxury suite on the 2nd night would be an extra charge. She said she would have to check with a manager. Not wanting to wait any longer (just spent 6 hours driving in the car), I told her we'd switch tomorrow. Kind of a pain to do but I didn't want to be charged extra. She also informed me the deposit rate was $100 a night. I had never been informed in ANY of the emails they sent me of this. I expected some sort of deposit but nothing like that. She said she was running my card for $200 (we were staying two nights) but when I checked my card account two days later, she had put $300 on hold. Huge deal when you put the deposit on your debit card. The room itself was AMAZING. Beautiful view of the pool and strip. The master bath was HUGE. Bigger than my kitchen at my own place. Played a few slot machines that night, didn't win big. Oh well. The next morning about 9 am I called the front desk to see how the room switch was to be arranged because this would be during valuable pool time in the afternoon. Speaking to someone different than last night, that attendant informed me I was ok to stay in that room for my 2nd night at no cost. Woo hoo! Pool waitresses were quick and always asking if we wanted anything else. Spa attendants were very nice. Used the basic spa services - hot tub, sauna, steam room. All excellent. Housekeeping even came by about 4 pm to see if we wanted water and ice. Of course! We ate at the Grand Cafe for breakfast one morning - I had the bananas foster french toast - SO GOOD. Check out was a breeze. I would highly recommend this property to anyone looking to stay off the strip. Strip was about 10-15 minutes away. The only reason I knocked it down some on my rating was because of the person at check-in wasn't so informative and charged the wrong deposit amount. Could have just been a bad day for her.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here for my 50th birthday...It was a beautiful location and everything was beautiful. The staff were cordial and gracious. The Front desk staff were informative, the housekeeping staff went out of their way and the Valet's were just awesome! I would stay here again in an instant. I plays a bit of slots, as their is a casino onsite.. and the restaurants were great also and if you ate between midnight and 6 am.. WOW.. Eggs, bacon, hashbrowns & toast for $1.99, a Burger and fries for 2.99.. Steak and eggs for $4.99...need I say more.. This was better that being on the strip anyday!

Room Tip: It seems that anywhere we were it was quiet.. it was so nice. The pools (3) a family pool, lap pool...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed here over Memorial weekend and totally loved it!
Checked in early at about 11am and room was not yet available. Not a problem, I just left my case with the very helpfull and smiley bell hop. Reception gave me their number to call from any house phone to check if my room was ready later on (only because I had a UK cell).
I went off to explore and get some breakfast/brunch. Oh wow this place is beautiful, I loved it. It reminded me of a peaceful serene mediterranean retreat (apart from the Casino of course). The hallways were so lovely and welcoming with beautiful furniture and pictures everywhere.
After a yummy late breakfast at the cafe, and signing up for the Players card I checked to see if my room was ready and it was. Not too bad, about 12.30. I was allocated a room in the East Tower, either 7814 or 8714. I was impressed that I need a key to open the door to the east wing, as I was travelling solo this was reassuring! Well my room was lovely! Don't think it was a newly reburbished one but lovely just the same. Large airy room with a king size bed, large window so plenty of light coming through, nice flat screen tv and minibar. Ample closet and drawer space, and a robe! No view to speak of but I really didn't care. Bathroom equally impressive with large tub and seperate shower. It was truly nice and I felt like I had made the right choice is spending the weekend here away from the madness of the strip. Housekeeping was great everyday, never saw them and room was always refreshed when I got back. Room was quiet overnight and I did not hear any corridor noise. I slept well every night in the comfy bed.
Quick change and it was time to check out the pool. Oh my word the pool area was stunning. Plenty of sun loungers to go around, and umbrellas if you need the shade. I have to say that the poolside wait staff were the friendliest and most efficient I have come accross in Las Vegas, always quick to see if I was ok or I needed anything else. They were so lovely! I enjoyed delicious cocktails and snacks during my 3 night stay. The only day that was crazy busy was the Sunday, so I simply stayed in the spa pool until later in the afternoon when I got a comfy chair in the pool, fab!
I booked myself in for a massage and a manicure for the Sunday. The Spa facilities were lovely, so quiet and relaxing. I did enjoy my massage but the therapist decided to talk to me half-way through about the benefits of ashiatsu massage. I totally hate feet and anything remotely foot-like so this was not pleasant for me, and far from relaxing.
The resort has some lovely restaurants. Ate one night at Tides and it was delicious with excellent friendly service. My first time sampling scallops and they were lovely. I also ate in Terra Verde which was great, more "high end" Italian than I am used to but lovely just the same. The food court is fab for late night snacks or early munchies. One morning I had coffee and a bacon muffin whilst playing a slot machine! Bliss, not sure my Mom would be so proud though??!!!
The casino was great, I especially loved the new Bingo room. Lots of daily sessions and very helpful staff. Plenty of cocktail servers in the Casino and Bingo room so never waited long for a drink. Loads of up to date slot machines and table games. I did not find the Casino overly smokey and I hate smoking so it could not have been bad!
Overall I had a fantastic 3 night stay here. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who wants a quieter time away from the Strip. The facilities on offer are second to none, and once again I have to praise the staff. Everyone I came into contact with was so friendly, polite and helpful. GVR should be proud of its staff especially the bell desk chaps and the pool ladies. They were awesome! Thanks so much GVR and I'll be back.
Jo

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I booked through a discount site, but I think I'd be willing to pay full price for this place. It's easy to get to, directly off the 215W, and near the airport.
I booked a king room, but at the last minute a friend wanted to come, so the gentleman at check-out was very accommodating and upgraded me to a 2 queen bed for no extra charge. The resort fee included a free drink, free waters at check-in, free desert at one of the restaurants...the room was beautiful, oversized, and there is a fully-stocked mini-bar (not that I used it!). The bathroom has a separate shower, and a large tub. Full-size spa toiletries. Really beautiful furnishings, clean, and there is security throughout the hotel.
The pool is the amazing part...it's huge, with several levels, and both shallow and deep pools, as well as a "beach" area for children, with sand and shallow water. Waiters come by to take orders for the bar. Lots of shady areas for families.
There is a coffee shop directly off the the elevator, and there are several restaurants throughout the adjoining casino, which is also quite large, and has tons of slot machines and table games, and every single employee I spoke to was pleasant and helpful.
I noticed there was a movie theatre in the hotel, which I didn't have time to check out. There is shopping nearby as well. Parking was free.
I really want to go back and take the kids next time. I would be willing to pay the full price, but if I can get is discounted again, I would be even happier!!!

Room Tip: If possible, ask for the east tower, as it is directly off from the coffee shop, and opens out to th...
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

OK, its expensive and not on the strip (thank God!) the spa and health club are fantastic! you pay for it but you get what you pay for in spades. Food and beverage is very good for a hotel/casino. Room service, excellent. For those on a budget, the food court has excellent choices including a FAT BURGER and an excellent sandwich shop. A movie theater on the ground floor and for those with "young adults", a very well equipted play room with all the lastest video games. The service is excellent and staff was calling me by name on my second day there. THe rooms are very well appointed and unlike most casino hotels, excellent entertainment in the rooms on the TV including free HBO and pay for movies. And a clock in the room which most casisno's don't have. I have stayed there many times over the past 10 years and would always recommend it. Booking on line is a bit difficult and I find I get the best rooms if I call.

Room Tip: Call and discuss room types on the phone, They have many different style rooms and suites depending...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dalton, Georgia, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

First time at GVR and thought it really was a great value compared to the strip casinos.
Loved my room as well as the facility itself.
Enjoyed several places to eat on site as well as used the spa.
All top notch.
Small draw back, I wish the pool was bigger...seemed a little overrun with kids for a Vegas pool.
Wasn't awful, just a little tight.
The casino also has shopping and even a movie theatre.
I play a lot of table games and it was nice to be able to play in such a nice place with reasonable limits to play.

Had a great time.
Will be coming back next time we head west!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!