“Can't Wait To Return” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
Raleigh N.C.
“Can't Wait To Return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our first stay at GVR and we plan to return. The hotel is beautiful, we had a standard room and it was perfect. Comfy bed and huge bathroom. There is a Bose CD player in the room, so bring your favorite CD's. There are speakers in the bathroom for the TV so you can listen to your favorite show while getting ready, but remember to turn them down before you leave in morning or you will have the experience I had at 1 am when I turned on the TV and the speakers in the bathroom blasted and must have woken up any room near me. We were in the West Wing on the second floor, which is the Casino floor so it was nice not to have to wait for the elevator. We had an even # room, with parking lot view, since we were not in room much we didn't care. If you want a pool view try an odd # room. The GVR is a great break if you want to escape the hussle & bussle of "the strip", but if you want to make the trip it is 10 mins away and an easy trip. If you stay in the West Wing recommend parking on the 4th floor of 215 parking deck, casino level and easy access hallway to rooms in West Wing.

Casino is very large with a great selection of machines. They had many I had not seen any where else. For the first 2 days we never left GVR as it had everything we needed. The pool is nice, it has lots of Palm trees that do provide shade. The "beach" feature is fun for the kids. There is an area called "The Pond" for adults only but the door lock was broken and room keys would not work so I was never able to enter. The grounds around the pool and Spa are beautifully landscaped.

The Exercise room is great, it has a large assortment of equipment. I am a treadmill girl and their treadmills had individual TV's which is nice, take headphones if you want sound. If you are hungry after your workout, there is granola mix, fruit and pretzels in the locker room which make a nice snack or breakfast.

The Spa is nice and the massage I had was excellent. As this was my first time at the GVR spa I would have liked a tour or some explanation of all the ameneties when I checked in, but all I was given was a locker key. I had to ask several questions like where do I go to wait for my massage and was told I would see it when I went in the ladies spa. I did find it after giving myself a tour. I would have appreciated an attendent meeting me to show me around, as on my last day there I heard 2 regulars talking about the co-ed spa room and some other room I never saw or knew about. If you have never been to a spa before you might want to ask for a tour when you check in. And if everyone seems to know each other, don't feel left out, the GVR Spa has alot of regular local patrons and it seems to be a popular destination for groups of girls to meet and relax. I think that is a great recommendation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
sharicbrb
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Every Year we have such a good time at the Green Valley Ranch but not this year, the gambling was tight...couldn't win on anything and we usually eat at the buffet but there were no offers this time, we checked with guest services and even though we spent alot of money our points didn't add up because our money was just sucked right up so not even a dollar off on dinner. Not one waitress asked us if we wanted a drink and we were there for about 4 hours, not very much fun this year.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

First time staying at the resort and will not be my last. Awesome place, excellent staff, superb rooms and amenities and all in all a real resort in the desert.

The interior design is very warm and comfortable and welcoming to all. A person feels at home when staying here. The pool area is a water entertainment attraction in itself with a 21 and older area called the Pond. The general area is bountiful with chaise lounges and a cabana area as well as enormous sofa beds towards the front of the pool area.

The casino and gaming area is awesome as well. If you like or love video poker this place has it all and more. There are arcades and a cinema here as well. Oh don't forget the convention and meeting area too

• Stayed September 2012
kingston springs, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had never stayed this "far off" the strip in LV. I will stay here over and over. Lovely room (and we just got the regular room); wonderful spa facility -- included in the resort fee!; great pool; very nice steak house; the coffee shop food was very good; we enjoyed the very large casino, too. If we wanted we could have ridden the free shuttle to the strip -- but there was no need! Also, We enjoyed a walk around the upscale shopping area across the street!

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wow! Just had to write a review and ask, What Happened to Green Valley Ranch's 4-Star Amenities???????
Yes Virginia, the little things DO COUNT! Especially when you are a "returning" guest and KNOW when the place has changed. So FYI, for people who used to LOVE this place, and really enjoyed the little extras:
1) There are NO MORE COFFEEMAKERS in the room! Why?, I asked housekeeping.
Don't know, they replied, but they removed all of them in July.
2) There is NO COFFEE SERVICE ANYMORE IN THE MORNING IN THE LOBBY. GVR used to have a wonderful coffee, hot water, tea service on a table in the lobby each morning - really nice to grab a cup early, after a work out at the gym or on the way to your meeting. NO MORE OF THAT!
GONE!!! The Front Desk response: "It's gone. Sorry. Don't know why. You can fill out a comment card. Lots of guests have complained."
So... No free coffee ANYWHERE. And this is a 4 star resort, with a $20-25 RESORT FEE!
3) They have changed out the toiletries provided in the room. NO MORE of that really great smelling lotion, shampoo, conditioner, body wash. Now it's labeled "Ahhh Spa" - but it smells like nothing special at all. Changed from "Essentiel Elements" to Gilchrist & Soames, which is in fact the same manufacturer, but I'm guessing a lot cheaper product. REALLY disappointing. Who made this decision?????
4) Don't count on a bellman when you need them.
Sunday morning checkout: No one answering the phones at the "luggage services" number; no one answering the phone at the "front desk" number. Had to haul all of our own luggage (two trips!) down to the lobby ourselves, only to find two "suits" behind the bell desk. Both the bell desk and front desk insisted they were answering the phones. Right...like I would make this up!
No tips, no service...again, what happened???
5) We stayed in the West Wing - much nicer than the East Wing (have stayed in both). The paint and maintenance is lacking, showing age. The TV remote control never worked properly - could not change the channels, except by putting in each channel number specifically - would not go up or down. What's going on GVR???
6) $15 each day to have a small refrigerator in your room.
7) No more fresh juice, trail mix (fruits/nuts) in the Spa waiting area. No more waterfall next to the ladies' spa jacuzzi.
8) Towels in the room are cheap and scratchy - what happened to the nice towels, formerly provided?
9) Bed was clean, but I agree with other reviewers - mattresses need overhauling.
Best Things Still There [as of now, anyway]:
- Spa is really peaceful, quiet and lovely to sit outside by the spa pool. Very zen.
- Spa treatments are generally very good - about average price.
[But Spa etiquette is NOT enforced - too much talking, socializing and noises outside treatment rooms]. But in general, the spa is still the most wonderful place in the hotel.
- Nice location and proximity to outdoor mall, The District.
- Outside pool area, landscaping and meeting facilities are good.
- Grand Cafe (formerly Original Pancake House) is now open 24 hours, and you can get a good breakfast any time of day - Yeah! Good move GVR! Plus, food and service were very good.

So, WHY, WHY WHY GVR????
ATTN Station Casinos: If this is your FLAGSHIP hotel, you need to restore the little things that guests have come to expect - bring back the coffee, for pete's sake - are you kidding me??? How much can that POSSIBLY cost you??? Put mini-Keurigs in each room like other 4 star hotel now provide. Or at least put back the coffee set up in the lobby each morning.
And, NO, we are NOT going to go outside the Grand Cafe and pay $4.50 for a cup of bad coffee each morning!!! Please!
Bring back the little things and you will have guests return again and again. It sets your resort apart from the other hotels and IT MATTERS!

Room Tip: West Wing is better; 2nd floor leads directly to casino.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We will definitely return to this resort. The outside pool area is second to none- it’s amazing. Our 2 year old loved the sand box. The staff was very friendly; the room was clean and spacious. The water pressure in the shower was awesome. We really enjoyed the fact that our two year old could take a bath in the soaking tub while we took showers. Even though we were directly above the casino and parking lot, we could not hear any outside noise. Also, even though it has an attached casino which can sometimes make for a less than family friendly environment, there were quite a few families and we were very comfortable having our daughter walk with us throughout the resort. The only thing we didn’t like was the $77 surprise when we checked out. We purchased two nights on groupon . When we checked out we were told the resort fee and taxes weren’t included.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Westside.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

A minor problem was the key to my room wouldn't work so they had me change rooms and sent the bellman but forgot to give him the new room key. If that was the only problem that would have been no big deal. But they charged the entire stay to my personal credit card instead of to a corporate card, that they were supposed to. It took three weeks of phone transfers, non returned messages, and passing the buck to get this corrected. But the hotel itself was very nice.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!