“Still great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
New York NY
“Still great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We Just got back from another great trip to the GVR. I have reviewed this place in the past, but the level of service is so high it needs another pat on the back.

It started great with the front desk at check in, I requested a feather free room upon my arrival and it was ready just 40 minutes later. The rooms are really high standard. Luxury is all around. My wife considers this her favorite hotel.

It is also located next to an area called The District with some nice shops and a few nice resturants. Sometimes it is nice just for a chnage of scenery.

Every employee we met was very helpful and went out of their way to be nice and helpful. The spa is excellent, again getting top marks from my wife.

Thanks again GVR

Room Tip: Sign up for their email alerts to get a deal on a room. Also rooms that face the pool are a little...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Bellwood, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

GVR ruined our Vegas vacation. A day and a half into our Vegas trip Donna, the night shift manager, informed us that the hotel was over booked and we were to be moved. I explained that we did not wast to move and that my sister had taken ill. I was then told the decision had been made and I had NO Options. When asked if our friend would be moved also? I was told no. When asked if the place we were being moved to was comparable? Donna stated in a snooty tone of course not. We're a resort! They're a hotel! We asked to speak to another manager Donna stated she was the only one there. I toldl Donna I no longer wanted to speak with her and my friends and I walked to the front desk. We ask the concierge to speak with a manager other than Donna and we got Armondo. We explained to Armondo our problem and he preceded to tell us that they over book all the time and that he was standing next to Donna when she spoke to us on the phone. He goes on further to state that they are management and can do whatever they want. He also staes that because we booked with Groupon the we along with people who booked with expedia and travelocity are the first to go. As though we were second class citizens. We attemped to call Christy Herrera Director of Hotel Operation. Our call was not returned until we were transferred to the Sunset Station Casino.When speaking to Christy she apologized stating she was just getting wind of the situation. I told her how Donna stated she had been in contact with her last night and had been asked to call us but had not. Christy stated that Donna left her a message stating we were fine with moving and that she had sent a bottle of wine to each room. All of which were LIES! We were suppose to be in a suite but there was nothing sweet about it. There was chipping paint,peeling wallpaper, stained linen, carpets and ceilings! The casino was more like a convalescent home with a bingo hall. I had never seen so many oxygen tanks, hoover rounds , wheelchairs, crutches or canes! The average person appeared to be 60. The average person in our party was 37. Christy did send a car to take my sister to the to the minute clinic. I do thank her for that. The only person worth their salt was Ryalyn Sicolo the morning Assistant Manager. There is way more to this story however I had shorten it so I would not run out of space. Tarissa Stanciel

Room Tip: Choose a Different Resort all together!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just returned from 4 nights here. The hotel is lovely with very tastefully appointed rooms. Bathroom is large with separate toilet, shower and large bath. The hotel was apparently booked out but still quiet. Gorgeous pool and day beds, seating areas outside were plentiful and not crowded. The sandy beach part of the pool was great for kids, and kept them "away" from more adult/bar end. Loungers were plentiful.
Our only complaint was the very poor signage on arrival. We literally drove around roads for half an hour trying to find the hotel entrance which is separate from the casino. When we had this discussion with their staff, we were told many people have the same problem as us finding them. Though this made us feel less silly, maybe they need to sort the problem out! The hotel is too nice to be ruined by such a fixable problem.

Room Tip: Stayed in East wing on 6th floor. Other side of wing would have had strip lights view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

From the moment I checked into this place, I had one poor experience after another. Check in staff not friendly at all. Then, when I arrived in my room, I was met by a messy and obviously uncleared room. (in all my years I've never had this happen.) So, I go all the way back to the front desk to tell the front desk staff what had happened, and they couldn't care less. Sent me on my way with not even N apology.

Next out by the pool, I asked one of the pool attendants if she would locate a lounge chair, and was told to "get it myself." So, now I just want a drink to calm my mood, and the bartender at the pool was a comete jerk.

The grounds are very pretty, and the pool is great for the kids, but don't expect anything close to five star service. They missed the mark BIG TIME.

• Stayed September 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Recently stayed here for a week after relocating to the area. This is a very nice hotel, and the entire staff was very friendly. The maids kept the rooms clean, and the hotel and grounds are well taken care of. The casino is in a building attached to the side, so you don't need to walk through it to get to the rooms, which is nice. The pool was never too crowded, plenty of umbrellas, and chair service for food and drinks. Just a note- gratuity is included on items at the bar and from the pool girls. Unless you absolutely need to, steer clear of business center- dollar a minute for computer and per page charge if you need to print something out. Lastly, it is adjacent to a shopping area with restaurants (Go to Lucelles!) and Whole Foods for those nights you don't feel like eating out.

• Stayed September 2012
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Beautiful resort. We loved the vast pool, the outdoor snack bar/restaurant, the cabanas, the service, casino, food court and the spa. Our extended family had a great time, plenty of room to be together and apart. Spa was very good for exercise and for hair. I also enjoyed the more private, quieter pool.

• Stayed October 2011
O.C. California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Over the past years GVR has been a favorite place of ours to stay, however our latest experience was our worst yet. Let's start with the good, then the bad and finally some comments.
Good: Nice rooms, great pool, pool staff and cabana experience, check-in, check-out, valet, housekeeping, and
luggage service all were fast and attentive . Hanks restaurant staff was friendly and provided good service. Sushi restaurant food quality was excellent. The Tides food was great there as well. Poker room staff was good and some of the blackjack dealers were engaging. Sports Book was comfy and easy to find a spot to watch the games.
Bad: The Buffet, The Grand Cafe, 3 card poker dealer and her pit boss. Our room keys, and the service at the Sushi restaurant.
The buffet is a great price, we paid 5 bucks a person on a Saturday morning. We didn't have to wait too long for a table but we stood in the omelet bar line for 20-30 minutes, the station we were directed to was using the Mongolian BBQ to heat the omelet pans and it was sooooo slow. It was frustrating to find out later that there was another location in the buffet that had another custom omelet station that was moving much faster. They a good variety of food but many items were empty and not getting refilled.
3 card poker dealer - One of our guests had never played the game and sat down to an empty table and told the dealer that she wanted to try the game but didn't know the rules. The dealer imeadiately was annoyed and gave a quick verbal brief of the rules and started dealing the cards. After apparently winning the first hand the dealer took a bet off the table and when our player asked about it, the dealer pointed to another set of rules that are printed on the table and then motioned for the pit boss who did not help the situation by pointing to the same rules and saying the same thing the dealer had said. Usually it has been my experience when watching a situation like this in the past the pit boss is a mediator and a voice of reason, this was not the case and he caused the guest to leave the empty table upset and walk away, the whole issue was over a 5 dollar bet. It was a misstep for the casino.
Our room keys kept failing to unlock our room doors, we know a cell phone can erase a key but I think our total key count after 2 nights was 12-16 keys. The front desk finally took notice and had called for someone to look at our lock but they never fixed the issue.
The sushi restaurant was really good, and they sat 6 of us right away. We ordered a bunch of different items but they waited to make everything in our order before they would bring anything out. So instead of making a sushi roll and putting in front of us right away, it sat behind the bar until the entire order was complete. You might not notice that if there are only 2 in your party but when there were 6 of us it became a large order to fill and therefore a lot of time to wait.
Comments:
To summarize our experience I would say the amenities are still great with plenty of top notch places to eat, drink, lounge, and gamble but the customer service in food service and casino management is suffering. It seems like they are running with light staffs and have not properly trained their employees on the level of customer service you have come to expect from this property in the past.
To put a point on this issue, my wife was asked at check-out how her experience was during her stay. She replied that we stayed here many times but this was the worst stay of them all and gave her some specific examples, the employee replied that hopefully we would do better next time. My wife added that this might be our last time, and the employee said sorry and handed my wife our bill. Once again, poor customer training resulted in a missed opportunity to respond better.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!