“Unimpressed ” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
Ashtabula, OH, United States
“Unimpressed ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Heading out to the IBS show in Vegas we were anticipating a nice week at the Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort and Spa. We decided to stay outside the lights and bustle of Vegas and the Westin was only 30 minutes away.

Arriving around 5:30 at the McCarran airport we were told by the hotel that they did not offer shuttle service directly to their resort. They told us we would either have to take a cab, $60+, or taxi to their Westin location on Flamingo, $20, and then catch the shuttle from there to the resort which we chose to do.

The shuttle van arrived and the driver asked our names to confirm on his reservation list. This came as a surprise to us since the hotel told me nothing about making reservations to use the shuttle. The driver was kind enough and we were lucky enough that there was just enough room I'm the van for us as we packed everyone's luggage to the roof to accommodate us.

Arriving at the resort's front desk we were told that they were sorry, but they had overbooked for the night and they were going to have to put us up at the nearby Hilton at their expense and comped breakfast for us the next day for the inconvenience. They said just call us when you're ready to return the next day and they would send someone to pick us up. After a full day of travel this was the last thing I wanted to hear but we had no choice. The Hilton was very nice.

The next morning we carried our bags back down to the lobby and called the Westin for a ride. They said they would send someone over right away. 45 minutes later nothing. I called again and they said that they were extremely busy and to see if the Hilton could have one of their cars bring us. They said that they were also very busy and wouldn't be able to shuttle US over for a while. Finally the Westin's car showed up.

We checked in to the Westin and headed up to our room. It was smaller than the Hilton's room, as was the bed, bathroom, closets, etc. There were 8 hangers in the closet, one bottle of water sitting on the counter, one bath robe hanging behind the bathroom door, an iron but no ironing board. Ahhh there are two of us? I found a hotel staff outside our door and asked if he could bring us a few more hangers, water, another robe and the ironing board which he did.

Each day housekeeping would leave us one bottle of water and we would have to either buy another for $3 at the coffee shop or hunt down housekeeping and ask for one.

The breakfast buffet at Rick's, one of their "restaurants, was good at $20/person.

After a long day walking the IBS show at the Las Vegas Convention Center we looked forward to using the outside hot tub to relax our weary legs but, as you might guess, the jets were not working and cold water would surprise you as you tried to relax in the tepid tub. They were nice enough to remove one of the $25/day "resort fee" that is a mandatory charge for the resort's amenities.

Overall it wasn't terrible but we were unimpressed.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I was in Las Vegas for a show and I was looking for somewhere to sleep where I will have peace and quiet in a hotel that does not have a casino, this hotel is about a 25 minute drive from the strip and you would think you are on a different planet, the scenery is beautiful the hotel is upscale and clean,The staff is accommodating and the facilities kept in top shape, Just beware that there is a $25 resort fee per night

MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

From the time you drive unto the property until you check out you will feel the same way. You get out of the car and the bell persons are there to attend to your luggage. We arrived 2 hrs.early and were lucky to get checked into our room. The rooms are spacious and the beds, bedding are the best. We had a window that overlooked the pools. We checked over the grounds......just lovely and to be on the lake too. Two massive pools, slides, cabanas, small hot tub, lifeguard

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed at the Westin Lake Las Vegas last week on business for a conference on the strip. The property is beautiful out on the lake but is 30-40 minutes from the strip and was a 75$ cab ride to the Bellagio. This property would be ok if you were staying out at Lake Las Vegas for golf or a business meeting, but it's too far to go back and forth between the strip. I thought I would be able to use the free shuttle between the Westin on the strip and the Lake Las Vegas Westin, but the shuttle goes too late in the morning (10am) and the shuttles I wanted to take were all booked solid, so I had no choice but to take a cab. If you are going to try to take a shuttle, you need to make sure you setup reservations with the front desk/bellman. The property does need some attention and some upgrading. I used the fitness center, and it was disappointing. Two of their 5 treadmills were broken, which left the early morning crowd waiting in line to get a run in. The size of the fitness center was very small and it seemed very cramped and with outdated equipment.
My room was fine, with comfortable beds and a nice view of the lake, but the room did not have a mini-bar/fridge or a guestbook, so it left me with no way to have a drink/snacks or to know if room service was available and what the menu was for the later evening arrival I had.
Service at the front desk was mediocre. The guy I had when I checked in was very friendly and courteous, but the next morning when I went down to see if the front desk person could help me with checking the Westin closer into the strip for reservations, she said "we're not affiliated with that Westin." Ok...hmm. So I asked if she could give them a call for me to check availability for rooms, and she told me "there's people in line behind you, Can you just call them yourself?" Really? Thanks for the help.
Will definitely not recommend this hotel to friends or colleagues, when you have so many other good options on the strip and close in.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Belmont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Checking in at late hour last December after a long drive from the bay area and met hotel night shift representative Von. He had explained thoroughly just about everything that I needed to know and he even gave me a big surprise by calling me afterwards to ensure that I was happy with my room. Wow, I had been staying numerous hotels but this was my first time receiving this type of phone call. I liked the shower directly from the top of my head & the heavenly bed which was the most comfortable one that I ever have. Thank you, Mr. Von! I enjoyed the stay and will definitely stay in this hotel again with my next visit to Las Vegas.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Caring for our guests is always our highest priority and we are delighted to see that this was evident during your visit with us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your visit with us at the Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback and photos of your trip. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting our area.
Markham, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights on business. About 40 minutes from Las Vegas. The effort to building this area up is very impressive. If it gains critical mass it will be a great place.

The hotel has good staff but is pretty tired and in need of an upgrade. On the first night I had to struggle with the fridge in my room. It was quite old and noisy. Kept waking me up.

The surrounding views are quite pretty. I only had breakfast at the hotel and it was quite good.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Since we are always looking for ways to improve our property, we greatly appreciate the feedback that you've shared in your review. Please accept our heartfelt apologies if your experience did not reflect our usual high standards. We have taken good note of your concerns regarding the refrigerator in your room and will be reviewing your comments with our management team.
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We decided to have a non-Vegas trip to Vegas, and stayed here to avoid the gambling & smoke. And we were not let down! Absolutely gorgeous property. It felt just like I was revisiting Morocco! Intricate metal fixtures meets modern comfort and plush amenities. The upgrade to a high room overlooking the lake was well worth it. The restaurant food was amazing, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only thing I'd change - the pool menu could be improved and expanded. They didn't even have dessert? (Smoothies only). On a hot summer day, an ice cream bar or popsicle could go a long way, especially at a hotel that seemed to cater to kids.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade and get a room overlooking the pool