“Hoped for better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 27 hotels in Henderson
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Hoped for better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Westin at Lake Las Vegas was not what I was expecting for my Staycation in Las Vegas/Henderson. The property was beautiful, the rooms OK, and the staff a little less than enthusiastic about being there. The best part about my weekend stay was the bed. It was comfy cozy, and gave me a great night's sleep. The pillow buddy was a nice touch. Speaking of touch, the shower head was the perfect little rain shower. Other than that, the room seemed a bit dark and dated. I did enjoy my stay, but not as much as I had hoped. The valet and pool staff seemed to get it, but the rest of the staff were a little out of sorts. It was a bit embarrasing to find that after I pulled my car up to the valet that they were charging $15 per day. Was not happy about that, so got back in my car and parked and lugged my luggage myself, even though the valet offered to hold my luggage while I parked my car. I was also not thrilled with the choices of restaurants, and only took one meal in my room. The breakfast french toast waffle style was delicious and unique. My experience in the spa was also not what I expected. The layout was a bit confusing, there was no steam room or jacuzzi. The massage was good, but not great. I would probably not stay there again; but a lot of families seemed to like the place as there were plenty of children using the pools and slides. Check it out, though, with the price reasonable, it's not a bad place to stay.

Room Tip: Of course you definitely want a room with a view of the lake. The sunrise and sunset over the lake...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review and honest remarks regarding your stay. While we are grateful for your sincere comments, we are disappointed to learn that you were not overall impressed with your visit here. We wish to offer our guests an exceptional experience that exceeds expectations at every turn and are saddened to see that this was not the case for you. We hope you'll someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back, as we would like another chance to fully impress you with everything our resort has to offer.

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Recently I attended my cousin's wedding at this resort. When you drive up you think how wonderful it looks, etc. and how nice it is being outside the strip. However all that changes when you check in. First let me say that the valet team and housekeeping and most of the staff at the hotel were fantastic (especially the guys at the valet service). However, the front desk (which is the face of your hotel) had to be one of the worst I've encountered. Completely unhelpful and general lack interest in their job. As part of our guest rate, we were supposed to get vouchers for a continental breakfast. Not only did they not give us any, but couldn't even find a record of it (huh?). Yet other guests got theirs upon arrival –while at least one I know had to ask for it by Day 2 and finally got it. We also got our gift bag (from the bride & groom) when we checked in but another guest had to ASK FOR IT by Day 2 (seriously?). My cousin’s wedding dress plus the groom’s suit were wrinkled (they did fly from overseas-long flight) and the front desk said “sorry, can’t help you”. Again – thanks to the guys in the valet service who took care of it for them by finding a dry cleaner in nearby village to steam out winkles. Ahh..perhaps they should move them to the front desk? Right after the wedding (which was on site) our keys suddenly didn’t work. This has happened to myself and others I know who travel often. The front desk couldn’t have made things more inconvenient and frustrating at the end of the long evening. First they insisted security meet me at the room door so he can check that I had the correct ID to prove I was who I said I was. OK...inconvenient but fine. Once he checked it out, he left. Then I went back to the front desk only to be told I had to bring my ID with me. Ahhh...you didn’t say that before. So I asked the robotic thembot to call her security person so he could tell her I had the proper ID. But the robot said she couldn’t do that as she would have to see my ID. Sooo...you don’t trust your own security? “Sorry, it’s policy”. What was so infuriating was her blank eyes and stupid smile and “have a good evening” attitude through this whole thing. Finally I had to go back upstairs and meet the same security guy again and get my ID and bring it down (also she either forgot to tell him or was being a real beeyotch because I waited for him for a while – in fact had to call her from hall phone and tell her to get him up there immediately). Finally 45 minutes after the wedding was over we were able to get the keys. Clearly they never want anyone coming back for a second visit. I found the whole experience unpleasant as the Westin as a brand should be impeccable. This was not a 5 star hotel by any means. I have stayed at the Westin in Hollywood Florida and Frankfurt Germany and the staff at both were wonderful. Perhaps the bozos in Nevada need to be trained by the staff at those two because they seriously need it. Nice way to damage your brand Westin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Understandably you were frustrated when your key did not work but we hope you'll take a moment to consider our staff's intentions, as we pride ourselves on providing a safe and secure environment for our guests. We sincerely apologize for the length of time you waited for our staff to resolve the issue and we will be addressing this concern with them. While we welcome your feedback, it is disappointing that your stay did not reflect the high standards of customer service that we have set for our property and we will use this as an opportunity to re-emphasize our commitment to providing exceptional service at every turn.
Las Vegas NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A recent wedding at the Westin Lake Las Vegas was the perfect excuse for us to spend a Saturday night there. Thanks to said wedding, we got a good rate and the resort fee was waived.

Overall, the room was nice. It's your standard king bed hotel room. My girlfriend mentioned that the room smelled like someone had been smoking (the entire hotel is supposed to be non-smoking). Honestly, I couldn't smell it. We also found an empty water bottle in one of the trash cans. Other than that, the room was clean and felt fairly new. I think it's a little weird that the bathroom had no exhaust fan, as far as we could tell anyway. Finally, the TV checkout feature errored out.

This might sound like I have nothing but complaints. Rather, I'm just pointing out the tiny things that could be considered negatives. The truth is we had a great stay. The wedding went smoothly. We didn't explore the property much, but what we saw of it was very pretty.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate that you've not only shared the highlights of your stay but also the details that may have fallen short of your expectations. Reviews such as yours are very beneficial when it comes to improving upon our services. We hope you'll accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences. As a smoke-free property, we are saddened and disappointed to read your comments regarding your accommodations and will be passing your remarks along to the appropriate departments. It was a pleasure to accommodate you as wedding guests and we hope you'll have the opportunity to visit with us again at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here with family as part of a conference. The rooms and resort grounds were quite lovely and very nicely landscaped. Kids loved the free activities (kayak and paddle boats) but the stand up paddleboard is an extra fee. The water slide at the kids pool was also a hit.

On the downside, the location was remote and not much to do outside of the resort. You will definitely need a rental car if you want to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your impressions of our resort and keep in mind that we do provide a shuttle service for our guests. We hope you and your family will visit with us again at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to enjoy even more of our water activities and amenities!
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed for my Birthday and it was great. All the staff were friendly and welcoming. Only downside, we had requested a room with a lake view however upon check in they assigned us to a different room type. When we asked about a lake view room, they made us pay an additional $30! Besides that it was a fun get away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are honored that you chose The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa for your birthday getaway. It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest and we deeply regret any inconveniences with your accommodations. We hope our staff was able to assign the perfect room view for you and your guests to ensure the best possible experience with us.
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed in the hotel to attend a 4 day conference. The hotel is huge and you can get lost looking for your room and other venues. It took me 2 days to get used to the place. The staff is friendly and they try their best to accommodate all your requests but they lack enough people to provide excellent service when the place is full. There were 2 big groups during my stay and during check out time it was a total mess. Sometimes food orders would be so slow when the restaurants were full.

The food was okay. Nothing spectacular. The bed was very comfortable. The wifi was quite erratic. There were hours when I only had limited access in my room.

It's an excellent place for conferences and conventions as it can accommodate more than one group at a time. However, the experience would have been much better if they provided more staff when they knew the place would be full. It is also quite far from Vegas. So if you're goal is to party and gamble, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your four-day business trip, as it is always nice to learn how our guests choose to spend their time with us. During your stay, we are glad you had the opportunity to dine with us at our restaurant and appreciate your honest feedback regarding your experience. We do truly regret any inconveniences that you encountered. We are sharing your comments regarding our Internet to the appropriate members of our staff. Rest assured, we will be looking further into this issue and we thank you for sharing your constructive comments.
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

So, this last June I drove from Arkansas to Seattle via Las Vegas to visit a buddy of mine who lives there. He recommended the Golden Nugget on the old strip but I wasn't too keen on staying downtown my first night in so I booked a room via Groupon at the Westin. Driving in was like driving through a golf course with beautiful home, hotels and water features all around. I was admittedly intimidated by the seeming wealth of the entire area. I didn't even know if I should park my own car - but it was filthy and full of my move so I decided that's what I would do. I parked, walked into the place, completely travel worn and I was greeted by no less than 5 happy-to-see-me people. I was offered beverages, help with my luggage, etc... Very helpful in general, even when I lost my key a few hours later. Glorious views of the lake and well manicured grounds and quite a comfortable bed to sleep in. The toiletries were above average. The next morning I enjoyed an amazing, complimentary breakfast and was served by a very attentive, considerate wait staff. Went out and made use of the complimentary kayaks and paddle-boats right before checkout. Everything about the place oozed beauty, relaxation, elegance etc... Two months later, I still wish I had booked my entire stay with them - rather than spending the next couple days in the hubub of the strip and not to be mentioned here, terrible stay at the Golden Nugget.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your beautiful description of The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. It was our pleasure to accommodate you during your travels and we're delighted that you enjoyed a pleasant experience while with us. We appreciate you sharing the highlights of your trip, as well as your dining experience at our restaurant. We hope you'll stay with us again.

Been to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!