“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Henderson
las vegas
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

If Wi-Fi was not super-slow (couldn't watch a single You-Tube video clip) and there was a breakfast buffet or at least a few more dining options, I would have given this property a perfect rating. If I pay $25 for the resort fee that includes Wi-Fi, I expect it to be working. I have been to some lower rated properties around the country that have excellent Wi-Fi and I don't understand why almost all 4* properties in Vegas we have been to (Mandalay Bay, Westin, etc) have super-slow internet and yet they all charge you to use it.

There are no queen beds, only full size or king, and that was another drawback for families with kids, epsecially if parents are not petite Asians. It is not so comfortable for two adults to fit into a full size bed.

But - the rest is great. Wonderful pools, especially the activity pool was fun for our 10-yr old, as it has a waterslide and waterfalls that massage your back. There were some activities at the man-made beach, but due to a storm that passed thru Vegas, those activities were not available (kayaking and paddleboard).

The hotel itself was done in a beautiful Moroccan theme and is perfect for a getaway and relaxation, without casino sounds that are almost impossible to escape from in Vegas. Hotel is spacious, with a decent gym and lots of lounge chairs to relax in the evening.

Very helpful and courteous staff, especially one waitress from Greece and the late night receptionist (sorry we didn't catch his name) whose wife is from Germany. They made our stay even more enjoyable.

Definitively will consider coming back.

A message for the management: please consider getting some more dining options, especailly for breakfast. Why not a breakfast buffet? The cafe is overpriced and with a VERY limited menu. Having in mind that this hotel is not so close to the rest of the Montelago village, it makes it even more difficult. If you get some more dining options and fix your Wi-Fi, this resort will truly be a gem in the desert - we will forgive narrow beds ;)

Room Tip: Ask for a lake/pool view, if available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We can't thank you enough for your valuable comments regarding our on-site dining and Wi-Fi. Detailed reviews, such as yours, are an essential part of improving our services and we always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to share their suggestions. We are continuously looking for new ways to improve our property and will keep your constructive comments in mind for the future. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences that you and your family experienced while staying with us. We hope you know it is always our pleasure to provide extra bedding upon request. Thank you and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This property is beautiful, I love the Moroccan decor and landscaping. Some Vegas properties are too fancy, is one is just right for style and comfort. The room was clean and comfortable, I always like the Westin beds. The pools were heated, had with plenty of lounge chairs, and good food from the grill. It was very family friendly with plenty of recreation, poolside, for children. The front desk staff were very pleasant. I deducted a star for the $25 resort fee (wifi was great but we could not use the kayaks due to weather issues and we also did not use the spa facilities). Also the staff at the pool could have done a better job keeping things tidy and it is a pretty far drive out there. I enjoy the lack of a casino and that there is very little smoking on the property. Covered parking would have been nice, since we received a possibly hail warning, and were nervous for our new car. All things considered we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your getaway at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. We are truly pleased to read that our accommodations met your expectations and your stay encompassed the level of comfort that we wish to provide. Please keep in mind that our resort fee covers a wide range of amenities, such as self-parking, shuttle service, toll-free calls, etc. Though we regret any inconveniences, we are happy to see that your recent experience has inspired a return visit and look forward to welcoming you back.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Westin did a Groupon which said pool access for 4 guest and one spa service per guest. I bought the groupon and booked an appointment with the spa for my 4 guest. 2 hours later they called me and said they had made a mistake and the groupon should have said one spa service instead of one per guest. They would not honor my groupon even though it clearly says one spa service per guest. I emailed the General Manager and his assistant called me back and said they will not honor the groupon but will give me a happy hour pricing for the other 3 massages. In my opinion if something is in writing it should be honored. Obviously the Westin doesn’t feel the same way. I am very disappointed in their customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We truly appreciate you reaching out and sharing your experience. We hope you'll accept our sincere apologies for this unfortunate oversight that occurred. It is never our intention for our guests to endure difficulties and we sincerely regret any inconveniences that you experienced as a result. We are disappointed that this error took place and hope you'll allow us another opportunity to restore your faith in our customer service. Thank you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful Arabic inspired design. I felt like I was in Ancient Babylon or Morroco. Having a lake with a small beach is a nice bonus most hotels don't offer you. Rooms are ok; but should look as good as the lobby and outside patios that have been furnished with more thought and $. Location is far from everything; but you should know this before you book; so def rent a car or you'll be paying $13 for a breakfast sandwich or $14.50 for a cheeseburger; whereas a 6 mile drive can feed a family of 3-4 for the same $13.00 at the local McDonald's or Burger King. Overall: a nice hotel, beautiful scenery with lake and mountains, jus don't waste money on their overpriced restaurants and liquor and rent a car and you will be ok.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your beautiful description of The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. We are truly pleased to see how much you enjoyed our decor. We do regret if you weren't overall impressed with our on-site restaurants and appreciate the feedback that you've provided for us. We always want to offer the best possible service and will keep your comments in mind for the future. Thank you.
Turlock, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was an extended weekend trip with my wife. We wanted a quiet getaway for a little relaxation. This was the perfect place for it. When you walk through the doors, you immediately feel the "Westin Resort atmosphere." We are Starwood owners and have seen a number of the Westin resorts/hotels and this one fell right in line with the rest. You're greeted by a large lounge area, perfect to curl up and read a book. The hotel staff was friendly and efficient and appeared genuinely glad to see us. We were assigned a room on the 7th floor, overlooking Lake Las Vegas and it was a picturesque sight. The room was well appointed and very comfortable. The workout room was typical of all of the Westin facilities. We did not make use of the lake activities since it was pretty hot, but they offer kayaks and peddle boats for those who were brave enough to fight the heat and venture on to the lake. There were a couple of gift shops and a "deli type" store where you could pick up incidentals that you may have forgotten at home along with snacks, beer, and wine. Unless you're interested in Asian food or sushi, your dining choices on site are limited to Rick's Cafe. We had breakfast there and both the food quality and service were very good. I saw some people with dogs, so it appears that the hotel is pet friendly. If you're interested in frequenting the casinos or seeing some shows, you might want to consider staying somewhere a little closer to the strip. The drive from this hotel is about 35-40 minutes, depending on traffic. All in all, I was pleased with our accommodations and the trip in general.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the lake provides a picturesque view during the day and a view of the city lights...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for reliving your experience with us. It was a pleasure to accommodate you and your wife during an extended weekend stay and we're pleased that you found us to be the perfect setting for rest and relaxation. We agree, the views overlooking the lake can be truly remarkable, we're so glad you included this in your review! Thank you for mentioning our amenities and on-site water activities and yes, we are a pet-friendly resort! If your travels bring you back to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, please keep in mind that we offer a complimentary shuttle to the Las Vegas entertainment. Thank you.
Canton, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here 10 years ago as a Hyatt. My kids were young and my daughter didn't really remember it. We found ourselves going back to Nevada this year so we wanted to give it another try. Booked through Starwood as a gold member, I originally booked the "family rate" which was book one room get another room 1/2 off. As my reservation approached, I called Starwood to ask about some of the pool activities. The agent at Starwood told me of a "Anniversary rate" the hotel was offering with free apps and drinks in the evening, a Managers reception and free continental breakfast each day for both rooms. I stated that sounds like the same thing the Hyatt offers on the club floor, the agent went on to say she was at this same property for her daughters birthday and she just used the same package and really enjoyed it. So I changed my reservation. Upon arrival, guess what no breakfast or managers reception, traveling with four college students that would have saved us a great deal of cash. Tried to push the issue I was told they had to listen to the Starwood recording for proof of the call. REALLY! As a Starwood member for years, it makes me want to never book a Westin again. Spoke to Desiree, the front desk manager for 2 days to get what was offered. Finally after feeling like I had to beg she gave only my husband and I a continental breakfast voucher for our last three days. The college kids had to fend for themselves. I had written proof of my resort fees being $22.00 one my bill it was stating $25.00. After all of my issues, finally credited the resort fees on both rooms. I did appreciate that. I was asking to speak to the General Manager who I was told by different people, he was travelling or not in at the time and would contact me. That never happened, in fact still waiting. The hotel lobby and ground were well maintained and beautiful. The rooms needed to be refurbished, the carpet needs replaced its horrible. We were asked to change rooms due to carpet cleaning was offered from the housekeeping manager a food voucher for the pool for both rooms. That's how a manager should handle things. Made our decision to move an easy one. The hotel only has 2 full service restaurants, beware VERY expensive, however service in Rick's Cafe was great! Didn't go to the other. They offered a pool bar only open till 5 so no dinners there and a small sandwich shop inside not a lot to offer and very slow service. All said at the end of the day, my husband and I travel a great deal. Our choices have always been Hyatt or Westin hotels. This Westin feel very short of our standards. We won't be back to this one unless they do a lot of changing. It's really to bad, 10 years ago a booming area with wonderful hotels, a casino, and a nice little village with restaurants and shopping set back from the very busy strip. Now, a somewhat deserted resort. From a professional Marketing stand point, if you want return business. Follow the one golden rule, "THE PAYING CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT". Treat your customers with the high standards the Starwood properties expect from their employees. Not like liars trying to get some freebies...

Room Tip: Book on the lake side beautiful views!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
As a valued SPG member, thank you for your review and perspective. While we were pleased you chose to book with us again, we deeply regret any inconveniences or difficulties that you encountered regarding your reservation. This oversight will be shared with our front desk staff though I strongly encourage you to contact me directly so I can better understand your experience and rectify the situation. On behalf of my staff, please accept my most sincere apology for the frustrations and difficulties that you experienced. I trust a resolution will be made soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent 3 nights in this hotel, with 2 children of 6 and 13 years old. The place is cool because it is outside of the noisy city of Las Vegas (30 minutes driving). The thing you have to know is that this hotel provide access to the swimming pool to local people. They juste have to pay 15$ per person to feel at home. The problem is that you don't feel at Home anymore, because they don't reflect the stars level of this hotel and they come with their own food, alcool, some with their fridge. And it seems they're welcome and that the hotel staff is more welcome with them than with the hotel customers. They are noisy, some of them swims with shorts and t-shirts, very hygenic... I think you choose an hotel of this category to spend nice time with your family around the pool, you pay a price to feel comfortable. It is not here and it will never be again, unless the management change their policy. We are leaving tommorow and I'm happy, I spent a nice time in Vegas but not in this hotel. I should have listen to my friend's advise : if you have to stay in Vegas, you better be on the Strip...

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. Please know that we have very strict rules in place in and around our pool area. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences or frustrations you and your family may have experienced if others were not following our guidelines. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and I’d like to apologize, on behalf of our staff, if your experience did not reflect the high standards that we’ve set. Your review is being passed along to the appropriate departments to ensure that this type of situation does not occur again. We would like another opportunity to welcome you back to provide you with the 5-star stay you deserve.

Been to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!