“Not up to Westin standards” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #15 of 27 hotels in Henderson
las Vegas, NV
“Not up to Westin standards”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am reposting this here (shortened and made more concise) because it was interestingly filtered from Yelp, then readded after I complained, and is now filtered out of the review ratings.I am aware that some sites provide a means to have bad reviews removed, but I am not saying that occurred. My point is merely to give my opinion and I think if you look at my other reviews I am very fair. 5 star properties get 5 star ratings. My purpose is to give you my opinion relative to how one perceives a particular hotel's stature. For example, Westin isn't a luxury brand but includes some properties that are pretty close to that. So my review takes into account how this property is perceived as part of a 4-star brand, IMO. I give a rating within the limitation of what I think the general perception of a given brand is. So here is my evaluation and the reasons I gave this a 1. I am sorry I had to repeat this on Trip Advisor, but it's unfair that my review isn't included somewhere. I do not expect management to respond, as they already did to the last one before it was mysteriously filtered out.

I am an SPG Platinum..

I live in Vegas and booked this hotel just to complete my SPG Plat. I have stayed all over the World, so I know what 5 star hotels at reasonable prices (try Le Palais in Prague or the King George in Athens, or a Ritz Carlton or Park Hyatt) are supposed to be like.
This is not a 5 star, 4 star , or , unfortunately for a variety of reasons even a 3 star hotel.
Let's cover the issues: I brought my pet and was presented with a 4 page contract to sign in addition to a pet fee that should have been communicated by SPG when I booked this.

Thankfully, i was assigned to a "pet friendly" room (I assume ones that already have issues) with a number of carpet stains, consequently my dog laying on the bed provided an upgrade to the room's appearance.
The resort fee, i was told, would be waived and it was.
IMO this place isn't what one expects of a resort. At no time did I feel I was in a resort environment, rather just a hotel in the middle of .....nowhere. Lake Las Vegas is a failed development that went bankrupt, and 2 of the 3 golf courses were abandoned.
I cannot recommend anyone paying the rate charged here given the terrible location. There is no dearth of much better, cheaper properties
The toilet in the room ran continuously, and I had to perform surgery on the plunger mechanism to make it stop.
Taking one look at the shower, I decided they intentionally painted some of the grout dark brown .
If you asked my dog, she enjoyed seeing ducks for the first time and was mesmerized by them. I was mesmerized by the pile of dirt on the sidewalk on the side of the hotel, as well as the dog poop on the overrun golf course adjacent to the hotel. The hotel could be faulted for the piles of dirt and should make an effort to remove the poop on the property adjoin theirs just to improve the appearance. The golf course has become an eyesore.
Nobody was particularly surly, and i didn't see any gang members with weaponry staring each other down as one reviewer on another site indicated, but I felt my best course of action was simply to get in my car and drive the 20 minutes to my house and comment on my experience. . I can't blame it ALL on hotel management, so I'll place some of the blame on Starwood and some on me for wasting money here just to get Plat status .
I have no idea how any reviewer could give this hotel a 4 or 5 star rating unless they are used to staying at "America's Best Value Inn"
The ONLY good thing I have to say is I got some Starpoints, the most valuable mileage currency around.
Thank goodness it's only $155 wasted.
And if you are thinking why this grades out at a 1, I am holding back some thoughts I just don't have time on which to elaborate. Take it from a guy who is an SPG Platinum Member, Hyatt Diamond, and IHG Royal Ambassador. I know what a 1 is for a 4 star property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Your feedback is always welcome and we thank you for taking the time to once again reach out to us. I'd like to apologize again for the inconveniences you encountered while staying with us. It is truly disappointing to learn of your experience with us and I'd like to assure you that your concerns have been addressed with our staff. As an SPG Platinum member and seasoned traveler, we appreciate your thorough review. Constructive feedback such as yours is an important part of improving our property and we thank you for giving us the opportunity to get a clear perspective of your time spent with us. We hope to someday welcome you back again.

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed t the Westin Lake Las Vegas a couple weeks ago for 6 nights. We truly enjoyed the hotel. We went with another couple. We actually prefer to be away from the strip. The shuttle service could drive us to the Westin just off the strip...so we did go down a couple of times to take in Shows and for dinners. The shuttle also will take you to the Montelago where there is a casino as well as a small village with wonderful shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Try to book a Lakefront Suite
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback regarding our shuttle service to the exciting Las Vegas entertainment and Casino MonteLago. We are truly pleased to learn that you enjoyed your six-night visit with us. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope you'll have another opportunity to visit with us again at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa!
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. Everything you would expect of a Las Vegas resort property. The service at check-in was quick and efficient. Bell-service was timely. The room is nicely appointed with a large comfortable king bed, tv, sliding doors that overlooked the front entrance, and a large bathroom. The lobby and lounge areas are comfortable with plenty of seating areas. So, for the portion above 4-5 star rating, then it turns south.
The internet service is rather crappy. I could not hold a signal long at all, during peak hours or at 5 in the morning. The rooms are not very sound-proof. You can hear everything in the hallway, and through the adjoining door. I have kids, so i don't mind a family setting, but It is like a kids summer camp in the room area and the common areas. They have a family pool and an adult pool. Only by looking at the map could we tell the difference. Kids were all over both, so we decided against. This was our last kid-free evening of our vacation, so a definite bummer. We have stayed on the strip a few times before, and I have always wondered why families bring their kids to Vegas. Its because they stay here and can just let them run free. The family of 5 next to us with the screaming baby and basketball bouncing older child, one day, you will have a chance to get away without your kids and I wish you better than what you shared with us!
Would I stay here again? With my family-maybe. For business or romance-no.
Would I recommend? With disclosure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We do regret to learn that your experience did not reflect the high standards we hope to achieve and we wish we could have had the opportunity to address any concerns with you at the time of your stay. We highly value each and every one of the reviews that we receive from our guests and truly appreciate you sharing your comments and concerns with us. We hope that you'll someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to provide you with the 5-star stay that you deserve and that we know we are capable of providing. Thank you.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My first visit to Vegas and the 1st two days our stay was at the Flamingo Hotel but our next two day was at The Amazing Westin Lake Resort with breathtaking views from the Hotel.I loved it and felt and seen how God created this beautiful land for everyone to view and thanks to the staff who make our stay Awsome and I would encourage anyone who reads this to take that trip to Westin Resort and experience and see beauty all over in the Hotel and outside.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your beautiful review with us. It's truly heartwarming to read your comments and I'm looking forward to sharing your kind review with our staff. Thank you and we hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and found a long line ( over 20 People) waiting to check in. Two staff members on the front desk were unable to keep up with the demand. We waited 30 minutes to check in. Our room was on the pool side and at 9:30 a movie was playing right outside and below our window. The sound was very loud and disturbing. We were told this is a regular Saturday occurrence so if you're not planning to be out of your room, ask for a room away from the pool side on Saturday evenings.

The Spa and Fitness Center were closed due to a "mechanical problem" and the area in the hotel where they were located smelled like a sewer. An alternate Fitness Center was set up on the top floor but when we arrived there to work out we found a pile of dirty towels on a table just inside the door, overflowing trash containers, no water, and a generally unfavorable atmosphere. There was no way to clean the machines before using so we gave up on the idea of using them.

When we walked out of our room we saw Room Service tables in the corridor that reeked with odor. We wondered how long they had been there.

The $25.00 Resort Fee was charged for use of the pools, Spa and Fitness Center among other things. We demanded our resort fee be refunded and the staff did so with apologies for the condition of the Fitness Center and the Spa closure. They offered a free breakfast which later turned out to be disappointing. Long lines at the buffet and long faces on the staff indicated that everyone was under pressure and not in a good mood.

I'm a lifetime Starwood Gold Member and I have to say this is the worst experience I have ever had at any Starwood property in the world. No upgrades offered and a room on a lower floor that was not designated as a Starwood Preferred Guest floor.

This is a gorgeous setting for a lackluster hotel property. Check further reviews before committing to stay. Perhaps our experience was an anomaly and a result of bad timing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
On behalf of our entire staff, I'd like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced while with us. It is truly disappointing to learn when a guest leaves and feels they did not have their expectations met. As a valued SPG Gold member, we deeply regret if your experience did not live up to the high standards you've come to expect from the Starwood brand. Please rest assured that your comments have been noted and will be addressed with our staff. Thank you.
South Londonderry, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at this Westin about two weeks ago. I only stayed one night but I really wish I had stayed more. The staff was so nice to me right from the start. I was traveling as a single female headed to do some volunteer work in Utah so my appearance was not the usual Vegas garb. It did not seem to matter at all to the attendants. The guy who checked me in, Elrick, was so kind to me and took so much time to explain things to me. Which is HUGE to me considering my room was a discounted one. The consideration I received was far beyond what I get at other hotels. The hotel was BEAUTIFUL, clean and breakfast in the morning at Rick's cafe was delicious. I highly recommend this place. I am already planning my next trip here. I will never stay at another hotel in Vegas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
What a wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments regarding the customer service that you received. It is truly encouraging to read your glowing remarks and we look forward to sharing your comments with our team. We couldn't be happier that you recent experience has inspired a return visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel lives up to its brand name. Rooms were spacious, very comfortable bed and linens. Thick, plush towels. Keurig coffee maker with great coffee/tea and real creamer! Complimentary bottled water, small fridge and great air conditioning. Bathroom is a little small but had a great shower head(rainfall) and a removable shower wand. Free internet (via another nearby hotel). Great areas throughout the lobby and outside to relax. Three fire pits out back! The pool is fantastic as well as all the other activities available....kayaks, paddle boards.

Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We're always pleased when we can provide our guests with great quality service. Thank you for sharing your impressions of our accommodations and amenities. It was a pleasure to welcome you to our resort and we hope you'll have the opportunity to visit with us again at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.

Been to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!