“really nice oasis for a solo weekend retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #16 of 27 hotels in Henderson
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“really nice oasis for a solo weekend retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had a Delta voucher that was about to expire, so took off for two days in sunny Lake Las Vegas. I intentionally chose this property as I was looking for a quiet place where I could soak up warmth and sun, and this fit the bill perfectly. My room was comfortable and had a lovely view over the "adult" pool (which unfortunately was closed for maintenance this weekend) and mountains. The property certainly had the level of quality I expect from a Westin--the design of the public spaces in particular are stunning. The outdoor spaces were lovely, if a little cramped because of the one pool being closed--but the kids were having a blast at the pool and the beach, and I was able to find a spot to claim both days without too much trouble.

I ate at both restaurants and had poolside service. The more casual restaurant, Rick's Cafe, was really quite good (I had a great burger one day and tasty flatbread the next); I was less impressed with poolside service when it took 30 minutes to get a diet coke and then another 30 for the bill to arrive. (I didn't order again after that experience, but the guys next to me the following day were complaining about the same thing.) All in all, I'd definitely recommend for a trip to Vegas without really being IN Vegas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
We're glad that you found your way to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa! It's always a pleasure to learn how our guests spend their time with us and we're happy that you enjoyed your weekend soaking up the sun. We'd like to extend our sincere apologies for the length of time it took to serve you at our pool. As we pass your review along to our staff, we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back for another weekend getaway in the near future. Thank you for sharing your review and recommendation.

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

It's too bad the golf course isnt open. But the hotel is a lovely and quiet escape from Vegas. The grounds and pools are great, there was no charge to take out kayak's etc. the hotel is clean, quiet and smoke free. For us as a family, it provided a great alternative. An easy drive into Vegas to shop and find some great restaurants then a short trip back to a comfortable and quiet room. Staff is all very friendly and helpful.

If you have a family and want to dabble in Vegas this is a perfect headquarters.

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same. We paid for a premium room, only to find the differnce is ONLY the floo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We're delighted to learn that our location worked out so well for you and your family. It was our pleasure to comfortably accommodate you after a long day of shopping and dining in Las Vegas! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel is located 20-25 minutes off the strip. It was an easy drive and the scenery more interesting the closer you get to the hotel. Not having a casino means the hotel does not reek of cigarette smoke. The rooms were adequate: clean, slightly worn, sized as you would expect, and had great beds. The staff was fine. The truly outstanding feature of this hotel is the grounds - beautiful front and back, with a killer lake view. The rear courtyard was very attractive and well furnished (did I mention the killer view?) The pools (one for kids/families, one for adults) were sizeable and surrounded by the gorgeous grounds. I would go back in a heart beat. In fact, I'm trying to figure out just how quickly I can arrange a return visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We hope you can return to us soon! Thank you for your review and lovely description of our resort. We always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to share their impressions with us. It’s wonderful that the views of the lake were such a highlight of your trip and we look forward to your return visit to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.
Kauai, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Well, where to begin? Family and I were booked into the hotel for ONE week. Within the week, we changed rooms FOUR times; We had our CREDIT card debited FOUR times with unauthorized payments. You have heard of that saying, " white washed vessels whilst the inside is dirty", well, this is what we can use to describe to the hotel. Now, let me break it down for you. My wife, being more the accounting type of personality, is usually on top of finances. On check in, she decided to check to see what transactions had gone through on the credit card whilst we were there, on 3 occasions, there were transactions from the hotel in a combined figure of $500! We had to call 3 times to have this resolved. Upon check out and back home, we discovered a COUPLE more transactions were put through again!! Now, I am thinking, they have a "rogue" employee or employees working the front end/Revenue department. Secondly, whilst at the hotel, the first room we were checked into had it's TV non-functional. remedy? Get a TV from another room and replace it and take the broken TV to the other room - for another guest to have the same issue. Second thing, we were not advised that all except for the 7th floor is pet free at time of check in. So, for 5 out of the 7 days we were there, my son was under an ASTHMA attack EVERY single night and did not sleep! We though the puffers/inhalers had decided to take a "sabbatical" leave! Till the good Lord just brought it to our mind that the rooms we might be in might be a pets friendly room. We asked to change rooms and my son sleeps like a baby on the last two nights of our stay. Getting into our 3rd room, we find that the sink is leaking and before we know it, whilst watching TV, the bathroom is FLOODED! Well, we are again changed to another room, and ALAS! The peep hole is broken! Oh, I also forgot to mention that on the 4th room we were in, the balcony door (ground floor) is broken and any alert intruder can pretty much walk in whilst you are sleeping. Solution was not to fix it but move us. Now, about the state of the hotel. It looks BEAUTIFUL on the outside, BUT, the rooms are smelly and the carpets are filthy!! I mean, you can see the dirt/black/brown in some areas. We also think they have bed bugs because my wife and I (especially my wife) had red bite marks all over her back! The marks started after we slept in the first night and kept on showing up throughout the stay of the hotel. Be aware that you do not take them back with you - we had PLENTY of laundry to do! The VALET guys @ the door would not even let us use the luggage carrier even when we were able to and were going to bring it back... he was adamant and did not mind showing that he wanted it to remain there with him! Money should not be demanded but kindness does generate 'tips'. If you are comfortable with on average 30-55 minute trips (one way) to the strip and any good diner/lunch spots just outside the strip and do not mind the traffic on the freeway, then Henderson is the place for you. The best freeways with less traffic are the 215 and 515. The staff in the dining area are really nice! By the way, it costs $1 per minute to make a LOCAL call! Even a TOLL FREE number is billed $1 per minute. With the advent of the internet, you would think that a hotel like this in this century would realize that there is GOOGLE TALK/ SKYPE and other FREE utilities to place calls from online and at the comfort of your room/hotel vicinity where WiFi is available... but some one is in lala land for sure. And CHECK your food. This may sound funny, but we went to 3 high end restaurants and found HAIR in our food! Must be a hair-day in Vegas. lol. The HOT TUB was salty; the kids water slide was/is closed (they kept this quiet on their website as we had partly booked the stay for the kids to enjoy); the beach is about 30 meters or less long and the water is "dirty". I would not allow my child to step foot in it at all...it (water) was whispering "get in me and I'll make you 'sick'. The interior of the hotel looks really nice; except for the rooms which you will see, are old!
We have been members of the Westin for almost 10 years and collect points, so, we are not being biased here but are simply being honest with any one who wants to go to this particular hotel. The many other hotels we have stayed @ have been very nice and clean - under the Westin umbrella. Hope this gives you some insight. FORGOT to mention, Fridges were not working in two out of the FOUR rooms we stayed in.

Room Tip: HIGHER FLOORS are cleaner (Pet free) Lake facing rooms are quieter CHECK your CREDIT card every co...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
It’s truly disappointing to learn of the difficulties that you may have experienced while staying at our resort. We never want our guests to endure inconveniences during a visit and hope you will reach out to us directly to further discuss your concerns. We do truly appreciate you taking the time to share your review and perspective with us. We hope that we will have the opportunity to someday welcome you back for a more positive stay in all areas. Thank you.
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were passing through Vegas on our way to Palm Springs and thought to stay at the resort as it had been very nice last Fall. It was my son's birthday so was hoping to make it nice. Apparently during prior visit we had been upgraded. This time was given a room below main level. Called front desk about other rooms available after a major run around we paid to be upgraded. It was a lot of haggling over price, finally got the new room, it was still dirty. Went back to front desk and moved to another room. At 6:00 PM the desk was packed with a convention checking-in and many unhappy people. The manager literally treated us like dirt. what a disappointment!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
As a return guest, we truly regret that your recent experience with us did not meet your expectations. We’d like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you experienced with your accommodations. We never like to read when a guest hasn’t fully enjoyed their stay, especially when celebrating such a momentous occasion. This does not reflect the high standards of customer service that we’ve set and we hope you’ll give us the opportunity to welcome you back again. Thank you.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have stayed here two times. Once in last summer and again last weekend. Beautiful rooms, get a room with a lake view. The parking lot rooms are okay, but the lake view is gorgeous. I will never for get waking up to that sunrise!
The pool is great! I almost killed myself on the water slide last summer, but I will be back for more this year.
We ate breakfast at Ricks Cafe both times. The food was very good, great hollandaise sauce! A bit pricey, but it always is at hotel restaurants.
I love a hotel with a great bathroom, this one leaves something to be desired. Clean and well maintained, just not what I expected for such a beautiful hotel. Nicer bathroom and I would give it a perfect score.

Room Tip: "Ask for lake view"
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
It’s wonderful that you have so many fond memories of your visit. Waking up to the sunrise must have been truly breathtaking. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback regarding our bathroom. We hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future, as it’s always our pleasure to welcome you to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights in Feb 2013, and it was generally fine in all the fundamentals. I hadn't realised how far the hotel was from decent (outside) restaurants or the strip, but that's on me and not them.

Westin apparently bought this property last year (2012) and are slowly working improving it according to the guy at the front desk. I found the staff unrelentingly positive and pretty good, though the concierge seemed a little flustered when we asked for a day-long drive-around itinerary. A surfeit of nice, and the staff were mostly competent.

The one thing that really kind of annoyed me was that a separate 'resort fee' was charged, of $22 per night. As I paid for this trip with points, I was really unpleasantly surprised to be handed a cash bill at the end. Included in this fee are what I think of as the basics when you book into a 'resort and spa', such as use of the pool and fitness room. This also annoyed me to no end at the time.

I made a serious suggestion to the front desk and don't know if it resonated. It was this: their fitness room is left over from the old hotel. You're in this beautiful location with gorgeous winter weather, miles and miles of trails and options like outdoor swimming, and then you go for a workout and the room they have with the gym is somewhat cramped has no windows. It's literally a basement room and just...crappy for what they're charging and trying to project. I would love to go for a kind of fitness vacation in this area, and that would fit their motif with the spas and relaxation thing. If you're looking for that however, this is not the place - yet.

The thing that I appreciated deeply about the hotel was that they had a self-serve laundry. That's a rare, prize feature for a four / five star hotel for some reason, and very useful when you have a pile of sweaty clothes and no expense account.

Something else I appreciated was that I could buy a quality salad and a coffee at the downstairs mini-cafe, which was a pretty good deal and convenient in the morning.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet although we were right next to the ice machines.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your experience. Your perspective is greatly appreciated and we can assure you that your feedback regarding our Westin WORKOUT Gym is being taken into consideration for the future. We are truly grateful that you took the time to reach out and share this suggestion with our front desk staff. We would love the opportunity to welcome you again and hope you’ll take a moment to visit our website to learn about our new fit-cation package. We apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced with our resort fee charge and hope to welcome you back to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa in the near future.

Been to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!