“READ Before you go...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 27 hotels in Henderson
Kauai, Hawaii
“READ Before you go...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Well, where to begin? Family and I were booked into the hotel for ONE week. Within the week, we changed rooms FOUR times; We had our CREDIT card debited FOUR times with unauthorized payments. You have heard of that saying, " white washed vessels whilst the inside is dirty", well, this is what we can use to describe to the hotel. Now, let me break it down for you. My wife, being more the accounting type of personality, is usually on top of finances. On check in, she decided to check to see what transactions had gone through on the credit card whilst we were there, on 3 occasions, there were transactions from the hotel in a combined figure of $500! We had to call 3 times to have this resolved. Upon check out and back home, we discovered a COUPLE more transactions were put through again!! Now, I am thinking, they have a "rogue" employee or employees working the front end/Revenue department. Secondly, whilst at the hotel, the first room we were checked into had it's TV non-functional. remedy? Get a TV from another room and replace it and take the broken TV to the other room - for another guest to have the same issue. Second thing, we were not advised that all except for the 7th floor is pet free at time of check in. So, for 5 out of the 7 days we were there, my son was under an ASTHMA attack EVERY single night and did not sleep! We though the puffers/inhalers had decided to take a "sabbatical" leave! Till the good Lord just brought it to our mind that the rooms we might be in might be a pets friendly room. We asked to change rooms and my son sleeps like a baby on the last two nights of our stay. Getting into our 3rd room, we find that the sink is leaking and before we know it, whilst watching TV, the bathroom is FLOODED! Well, we are again changed to another room, and ALAS! The peep hole is broken! Oh, I also forgot to mention that on the 4th room we were in, the balcony door (ground floor) is broken and any alert intruder can pretty much walk in whilst you are sleeping. Solution was not to fix it but move us. Now, about the state of the hotel. It looks BEAUTIFUL on the outside, BUT, the rooms are smelly and the carpets are filthy!! I mean, you can see the dirt/black/brown in some areas. We also think they have bed bugs because my wife and I (especially my wife) had red bite marks all over her back! The marks started after we slept in the first night and kept on showing up throughout the stay of the hotel. Be aware that you do not take them back with you - we had PLENTY of laundry to do! The VALET guys @ the door would not even let us use the luggage carrier even when we were able to and were going to bring it back... he was adamant and did not mind showing that he wanted it to remain there with him! Money should not be demanded but kindness does generate 'tips'. If you are comfortable with on average 30-55 minute trips (one way) to the strip and any good diner/lunch spots just outside the strip and do not mind the traffic on the freeway, then Henderson is the place for you. The best freeways with less traffic are the 215 and 515. The staff in the dining area are really nice! By the way, it costs $1 per minute to make a LOCAL call! Even a TOLL FREE number is billed $1 per minute. With the advent of the internet, you would think that a hotel like this in this century would realize that there is GOOGLE TALK/ SKYPE and other FREE utilities to place calls from online and at the comfort of your room/hotel vicinity where WiFi is available... but some one is in lala land for sure. And CHECK your food. This may sound funny, but we went to 3 high end restaurants and found HAIR in our food! Must be a hair-day in Vegas. lol. The HOT TUB was salty; the kids water slide was/is closed (they kept this quiet on their website as we had partly booked the stay for the kids to enjoy); the beach is about 30 meters or less long and the water is "dirty". I would not allow my child to step foot in it at all...it (water) was whispering "get in me and I'll make you 'sick'. The interior of the hotel looks really nice; except for the rooms which you will see, are old!
We have been members of the Westin for almost 10 years and collect points, so, we are not being biased here but are simply being honest with any one who wants to go to this particular hotel. The many other hotels we have stayed @ have been very nice and clean - under the Westin umbrella. Hope this gives you some insight. FORGOT to mention, Fridges were not working in two out of the FOUR rooms we stayed in.

Room Tip: HIGHER FLOORS are cleaner (Pet free) Lake facing rooms are quieter CHECK your CREDIT card every co...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
It’s truly disappointing to learn of the difficulties that you may have experienced while staying at our resort. We never want our guests to endure inconveniences during a visit and hope you will reach out to us directly to further discuss your concerns. We do truly appreciate you taking the time to share your review and perspective with us. We hope that we will have the opportunity to someday welcome you back for a more positive stay in all areas. Thank you.

467 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were passing through Vegas on our way to Palm Springs and thought to stay at the resort as it had been very nice last Fall. It was my son's birthday so was hoping to make it nice. Apparently during prior visit we had been upgraded. This time was given a room below main level. Called front desk about other rooms available after a major run around we paid to be upgraded. It was a lot of haggling over price, finally got the new room, it was still dirty. Went back to front desk and moved to another room. At 6:00 PM the desk was packed with a convention checking-in and many unhappy people. The manager literally treated us like dirt. what a disappointment!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
As a return guest, we truly regret that your recent experience with us did not meet your expectations. We’d like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you experienced with your accommodations. We never like to read when a guest hasn’t fully enjoyed their stay, especially when celebrating such a momentous occasion. This does not reflect the high standards of customer service that we’ve set and we hope you’ll give us the opportunity to welcome you back again. Thank you.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have stayed here two times. Once in last summer and again last weekend. Beautiful rooms, get a room with a lake view. The parking lot rooms are okay, but the lake view is gorgeous. I will never for get waking up to that sunrise!
The pool is great! I almost killed myself on the water slide last summer, but I will be back for more this year.
We ate breakfast at Ricks Cafe both times. The food was very good, great hollandaise sauce! A bit pricey, but it always is at hotel restaurants.
I love a hotel with a great bathroom, this one leaves something to be desired. Clean and well maintained, just not what I expected for such a beautiful hotel. Nicer bathroom and I would give it a perfect score.

Room Tip: "Ask for lake view"
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
It’s wonderful that you have so many fond memories of your visit. Waking up to the sunrise must have been truly breathtaking. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback regarding our bathroom. We hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future, as it’s always our pleasure to welcome you to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights in Feb 2013, and it was generally fine in all the fundamentals. I hadn't realised how far the hotel was from decent (outside) restaurants or the strip, but that's on me and not them.

Westin apparently bought this property last year (2012) and are slowly working improving it according to the guy at the front desk. I found the staff unrelentingly positive and pretty good, though the concierge seemed a little flustered when we asked for a day-long drive-around itinerary. A surfeit of nice, and the staff were mostly competent.

The one thing that really kind of annoyed me was that a separate 'resort fee' was charged, of $22 per night. As I paid for this trip with points, I was really unpleasantly surprised to be handed a cash bill at the end. Included in this fee are what I think of as the basics when you book into a 'resort and spa', such as use of the pool and fitness room. This also annoyed me to no end at the time.

I made a serious suggestion to the front desk and don't know if it resonated. It was this: their fitness room is left over from the old hotel. You're in this beautiful location with gorgeous winter weather, miles and miles of trails and options like outdoor swimming, and then you go for a workout and the room they have with the gym is somewhat cramped has no windows. It's literally a basement room and just...crappy for what they're charging and trying to project. I would love to go for a kind of fitness vacation in this area, and that would fit their motif with the spas and relaxation thing. If you're looking for that however, this is not the place - yet.

The thing that I appreciated deeply about the hotel was that they had a self-serve laundry. That's a rare, prize feature for a four / five star hotel for some reason, and very useful when you have a pile of sweaty clothes and no expense account.

Something else I appreciated was that I could buy a quality salad and a coffee at the downstairs mini-cafe, which was a pretty good deal and convenient in the morning.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet although we were right next to the ice machines.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your experience. Your perspective is greatly appreciated and we can assure you that your feedback regarding our Westin WORKOUT Gym is being taken into consideration for the future. We are truly grateful that you took the time to reach out and share this suggestion with our front desk staff. We would love the opportunity to welcome you again and hope you’ll take a moment to visit our website to learn about our new fit-cation package. We apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced with our resort fee charge and hope to welcome you back to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Excellent property without all the Vegas clutter. The Japanese Sushi bar is excellent and attracts tons of locals which is a testament to its executive sushi chef who's extremely personal and knows many of the regulars.

The grounds are stunning. Westin workout, pools and spa are all spotless clean and updated. My biggest pet peeve was exceeded in this hotel with blazing fast wireless Internet speed throughout the property.

I was in a junior suite and the rooms were very comfortable, but a tad outdated visually. You can't go wrong with the room prices, but the incidentals will creep up on you it you're not careful. I will come back for a stay my next time in LV.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We truly appreciate your kind compliments to our Chef. We’ll certainly pass along your review. It truly warms our hearts to read your beautiful description of our property and services. It was our pleasure to comfortably accommodate you at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa and we look forward to your return. Thank you for your review.
St Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a workshop at this beautiful property about 30 minutes from the airport. It is a little depressing to see the brown grass of the closed golf course on the drive in, I can imagine how nice this area was when all the hotels and golf courses were open. Pulling up to the property, we were promptly greeted by the doorman and check in was quick and efficient. Every staff member I encountered was helpful and friendly. The Restaurant Marssa was fabulous and the bar had a great staff and live music. The room was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed and well maintained furniture and fixtures. The workout area had a good assortment of cardio and strength training machines as well as free weights and stability balls. There was cold water and chilled towels as well.

Room Tip: The lake view is nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Above all, we’re delighted to read that your experience with us reflected the high standards of customer service that we’ve set. Since we strive to create the perfect setting for our guests to maintain a daily exercise routine, we’re happy to read such positive feedback regarding our Westin WORKOUT Gym. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and we hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

As someone who visits Las Vegas many times. I took a chance and stayed away from the normal Vegas strip area and busy streets and hung out on this amazing property that I had no idea was even there. It's twenty minutes away from the airport and the hotel does have a shuttle that goes to the strip 4 times a day. I will say a taxi ride was about 50 to 60 dollars from/to airport not to bad. I chose to stay in the area and there is a small casino around the lake at casino monte lago and that area to me was quite charming. The Westin was spotless, they had 3 places to eat on the property, one of them being a really good Sushi spot. Awesome views of the lake, spacious rooms, pleasant, warm friendly staff and those great heavenly beds. I had a good time and would love to put this on Las Vegas list of favorite hotels. Granted some folks don't want to be away from the strip but if you give it a chance, I hope you will enjoy it there as much as I did.

• Stayed February 2013
We’re glad that you found your way to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. Our sincere thanks for taking the time to for share such a glowing review of our property. It’s always a pleasure to read when a guest has such an enjoyable experience with us. We’re happy that you enjoyed our Sushi Bar at Marssa and appreciate you sharing your helpful feedback regarding our shuttle to the Las Vegas area. We hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Been to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!