“BEST EVER!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Reno, NV
“BEST EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

If you do not appreciate fine food well prepared in an amazing atmosphere, stay away. Giles is a restrained, unobtrusive host. The decor of the restaurant was utterly tranquil and inviting as the first time I dined there was in the heart of winter. The cozy bar/lobby with a roaring fire was a place I thought I would never want to leave. The bartender made a special effort to mix our drinks just to our liking. Food was classic French and very fresh. Our waiter was quite young but very charming. I returned again in summer with some very well travelled friends who were completely captivated. Giles commanded our wine selections and we dined outdoors on the patio. From amuse bouche to the final cognac every plate was a small wonderland. Beautiful garnishes, perfect vegetables and incredibly rich and perfect desserts. I live in reno and cannot wait to go back again. We used to go to the rstaurant at Walleys for our dinner after a day of hiking and soaking and it is a very fine restaurant. But La Ferme is like entering Brigadoon- you walk through a gateway into another world.

• Visited July 2013

“Deserves a 5 star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

For those who complain about the service at this restaurant, I would ask why they dined there. Slow food is good food world-wide. This is very much a european restaurant (I lived there for years) where the food is important, not how fast you can get in and out. Go to McDonalds if your in a hurry and the quality doesn't matter. The price is high but worth it if you are there for the unique menu and quality cuisine. I might add, every item is priced so don't order what you are not prepared to pay for. As for the attitude of the owner, I found him very friendly and engaging. He returns what he receives from the customer. He is really a sweetheart.
I have been to this restaurant several times and had never had a reservation refused.
Locally, this is one of the best and not to be missed.

• Visited September 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“5 Stars with the following Caveat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

OK, here's the Caveat -- if you want wonderful, prepared-to-order garden fresh food in an outrageously tranquil setting then come here. If you are put off by a typical French attitude (the owner, Gilles) don't come here because it will spoil both your time and the high price you will be paying.

OK, that said, here we go...

You'll sit outdoors in the back of the restaurant if the weather is good -- which it was on the night of our visit. Very, very tranquil, relaxing and comfortable with the feeling of a charming farm garden.

Onto the food.We were immediately served a bread basket and crackers with 2 spreads. Nice. We both ordered salads which were both delicious and beautifully presented. My entree was a crisp duck leg which I can't praise enough. Perfectly seared and crispy on the outside, still moist on the inside. Again, their presentation was beautiful. My husband ordered a lamb dish. He said it was delicious and this too was beautifully presented. For dessert I ordered an apricot tart with homemade gelato...not sure what my husband had because I couldn't take my attention off of devouring mine. I know he loved it though.

OK, onto owner Gilles and that attitude. He likes to be hands-on since he takes the orders and does the serving, which I thought strange. When he first came to take our order I was on my cell phone. Sacre Blue! He almost acted like he wanted to throw me out as he then explained that all reservations were based on a strict time limit to allow for individual service. Knowing the french, I didn't let it ruffle my feathers and instead took it as a positive that I was in for a special treat. His attitude continued as I noticed we were the only ones not being served by him, but instead by other wait staff. Ouch...that hurt. He also seemed to let himself be consumed with patrons that he personally knew and barely spoke to others. Gilles finally redeemed himself when we left. As we walked passed him he glanced over and said did you enjoy, madame? Well of course, I smiled and said yes, it was wonderful. I am, after all, just a pleasant American looking to have a relaxing dining experience using fresh delicious food that is beautifully presented. And that is exactly what you'll get here -- no more, no less.

Visited August 2013
NEVADA
“c'est bon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Comfortable and relaxing. Arrived a bit before our reservation and visited in the salon with drinks.
Staff gave us time to look over the menu and answered questions. Our 4 entrees consisted of duck, salmon, chicken, and lamb. Everyone at the table enjoyed. The salads were quite good and save room for dessert. My husband loved his apricot pastry and homemade ice cream.

Lovely evening and will return. I don't quite understand what went wrong with some of the negative reviews.

• Visited August 2013
Bakersfield, California
“disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I dined with two other couples earlier this month at La Ferme. The food was good, but the service was disappointing. Before dinner, I ordered a glass of Pino Grigio from their limited wine menu, but the waitress came back a few minutes later to inform me they were all out. During the course of the meal, I found it difficult to get our waitresses attention to refill my water glass. She didn't offer anyone else a refill when she finally brought over more water for me. Nor did she once ask anyone at the table if everything was all right or if they needed or wanted anything else. We ordered dessert after dinner, but were never asked if we would like coffee or tea with our desserts. Considering the price of the meals, averaging $40 per entrée plus the extra cost of salad and dessert, I expected better service.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to La Ferme? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage La Ferme, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.