“Ranch style decor” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Smithville, Texas
“Ranch style decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Book early, local gold mines are hiring and space is limited.. Easy access off of Hwy 80!! Clean rooms, great A/C, heater.
Average breakfast, with that weird thin bacon they serve..eek.
Had kids above us or an energetic couple, bouncing around a few times in the mornings, and some gal on the phone next door. I think they must be getting cheaper on the insulation between floors and rooms.
No pool....but you can go down the street 1/2 mile to there sister Best Western hotel and use the pool there with your key card.

Room Tip: I would recommend the top floor 3rd, just to avoid noise from above. Red Lion casino has live Texas...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is a good hotel, with a great staff. The room are OK, clean, good size.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

After another 8+ hours on the road on our way home to the Bay Area from Colorado, we were really pleased when we arrived at this hotel. The lobby is really nice and welcoming, and the staff was very friendly and welcoming.

We got a 3rd floor corner suite which faced the street, but it was very quiet and we couldn't hear any traffic noise. The room was very nice, large, and clean. Windows on 2 sides of the room made it seem very spacious, light and bright. We got the room with one king bed and then the sofa which pulled out to a bed for our 2 young daughters. This was a great feature because the sofa was slightly separated from the main bedroom area by a low wall divider, so when it was time for the girls to go to bed, we could keep the TV on and sit on the bed and they couldn't see the TV, so it was not a distraction and they were able to fall asleep quickly and we could still relax and enjoy ourselves.

Bathroom was clean, updated nicely, and spacious. Bathtub was huge, the kids loved it. The room also had a refrigerator, small stove, microwave, and cabinets with some dishes and utensils, which would be nice if you were staying more than one night.

At $140 a night it was a little more than we expected to spend in Elko, Nevada, but it is the only decent place to stop between Salt Lake and Reno, and there was also a big bass fishing tournament going on so maybe the rates reflected that?

Went to Pizza Barn across the street for dinner, the pizza was excellent and it was very kid-friendly with lots of video games. Best part is that we could walk, because none of us wanted to get back into the car again after over 8 hours on the road!

One tip: definitely make a reservation. We were thinking we'd just come into town and find a place to stay, but I'm so glad we started looking at hotels online before we left because I learned that many of the nicer hotels in Elko do fill up (the first 2 I called were full), so we were glad to have the reservation.

Great hotel, would definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Would give it all Fours but the coffee was so watery I gave them a 3. Front desk ladies were super friendly. Woman at the sports bar was super nice too. Would return.

• Stayed July 2012
Rigby, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is not a brand-new hotel, but the entrance and lobby are quite nice with lodge-style decor. The rooms are average, and the room I had did not have a flatscreen TV, which most hotels have upgraded to these days. The breakfast spread was limited and felt a bit cramped in a small space. Staff were friendly and I have no complaints from my brief one-night stay.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cottage Grove, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband selected this hotel for a 3 night stay in Elko when we attended our cousin's 25th Wedding Anniversary. Conveniently located in the "new" part of town, it was surprisingly quiet considering the noisy street. The King room was large, with comfortable furniture and a bed that was so perfect for us that it had us planning to replace ours at home. Although the decor in the room was too themed and garish for my taste (I'd call it Chaotic Cowboy) the size of the shower, the height of the shower head, reasonably generous towels, and again, that wonderful bed, put me in a very forgiving frame of mind. There is NO POOL. Though you have pool access at a sister property 1/2 mile down the road, if you want to make the trek. Just show your room key. That hotel was booked up one of the three nights, and we didn't want to make a move. The breakfast was ample, but just so so. And, as with most of these places, the coffee was just drek - warm, brown water. I thought it was expensive at $149 a night. Having said that, I would stay here again, just to ensure the luxury of a good night's sleep on the road.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stay at this hotel, as a stopover on my way to Northern California. It is a beautiful facility. I love the "old west cedar lodge" decor. I'm not in Elko to gamble, and I don't like smelly, smokey casinos or the hotels within them. That's why I love this hotel. It doesn't have a casino in it. Generally, I think HIE is overpriced, but the choices are limited in Elko. There are a couple of other nice places to stay, but they are even more pricey, so I choose this one. I must not be alone, since this is the #1 rated motel in Elko. It is easy on/off the interstate. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable... All the things you want and expect in a nicer hotel. The complimentary breakfast is only so-so. I would rate it below average, but it is something to eat in a town where breakfast is almost impossible to find. My only complaint isn't so much with this hotel, as it is with Elko, There is almost no place to get a good meal. I wish this hotel had a full restaurant in it. On our return trip home, we came through Elko at 5:00 AM and could not find any place to eat. We drove on to Wendover and experienced the same problem. I guess you are only supposed to gamble in Nevada, not eat.

Room Tip: Bring your own food to Elko. Unless you like smoke, and bad food, there is no place to eat.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Elko? Share your experiences!