“Don't Smoke? Don't Gamble? No Pets? Don't Stay.” 2 of 5 stars

Red Lion Hotel & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2065 Idaho Street, Elko, NV 89801   |
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Elko
vancouver
“Don't Smoke? Don't Gamble? No Pets? Don't Stay.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'd decided to give this hotel a chance despite all the poor reviews of it I'd seen. I'm not sure why. I book travel for many people to Elko and I wanted to see what it was like, to see if it was a good option for some of my colleagues.

First of all, registration is tucked away right in front of an extremely dark and smokey casino. The hosts at registration were WONDERFUL however - I had no issues with them whatsoever. That was my first impression.

I had been smart enough to ask for a room far away from the casino to avoid noise. I had to walk a long ways to get there (no problem). The room was very clean and nice but I could still faintly smell smoke in my non-smoking room. I decided it was no big deal. Then I noticed there was no fridge nor microwave -- standard in every hotel I have ever been in (and that's a lot.) There was no conditioner, either - just shampoo and body lotion. Odd, I thought. The shower's water pressure was lacking greatly. They did offer free tea and I did enjoy that, while watching the Discovery channel. I also liked the very large bathroom.

After I went to sleep, I was woken up twice: once around 2AM by a dog that was non-stop barking in a room below me - this went on for quite some time. Then, at 4AM, I was woken up by the overwhelming stench of cigars in my room. Gross.

The next day, I decided to upgrade my room so I could get the fridge and microwave (still feeling they ought to have been standard.) After a $20 increase in my rate per night (adds up to a lot when you're staying for 2 weeks), I am put in a room right next to the casino, on the top floor. I head in and yes, it has a small fridge and an ancient microwave - no problem, they work - I'm happy with that. I note that the bathroom is half the size of the one in the standard room - and there is far less dresser space (to make room for the fridge and micro.) My $20 seems to have got me a fridge, micro, and an extra armchair. Great. Also, the room reeked of smoke compared to the last one. And the water pressure was EXTREMELY strong - I mean, that's good I guess? But even on the lowest showerhead setting it was like it was sandblasting me. Interesting piping in that building.

At 11PM in that room, I was awoken by a man randomly knocking on my door - whatever, not the hotel's fault - then at midnight or so there was a group of people standing out in the hallway just talking.

Part of the hotel smelled like vinyl, part smelled like vomit (could be renovation materials ... I hope...), most smelled like smoke, and the floor with all the pets smelled just.. off.

Despite the good housekeeping in the rooms, the modern decor, the very comfortable beds and the lovely hosts, I won't be staying here nor recommending it to anyone. It's very obvious that while the rooms are being renovated, the hotel needs to be rebuilt - new HVAC, new piping, and additional soundproofing on the doors and walls in general.

I cut my stay there short and got a room at the Marriott instead for $20 cheaper. Best decision ever. I'll definitely be writing them an awesome review at the end of my stay with them.

Room Tip: If you do need to stay here, request a premium room in the furthest building from the Casino.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It was good to read you were treated well by our front desk staff and that you found your rooms were clean and spacious. We are doing our best to diminish the smoky areas of our hotel as we appreciate the concerns of our non-smoking guests. For example, we are in the process of replacing the hotel hallway wallpaper and carpeting. We will be adding new glass doors to separate the casino and hotel, as well as upgrading our HVAC in the hotel hallways. We believe our guests will see a huge difference after these renovations are completed.

I am truly sorry you had so many disruptions in the middle of the night. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been. While we cannot always control the actions of some of our guests and their pets, we do have security on staff 24/7. Our guests are welcome to contact our front desk at any time in such situations. Had we been informed of the problems you experienced, we may have been able to mitigate some of them.

We understand travelers through this area have many choices, and we always welcome their comments. Please know I take these comments very seriously and address them with my management team. We’d appreciate the opportunity to show you our better side should you decide to stay with us again in the future.

Thank you again.

David R. Zornes, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had a king premium room. The room was large and comfortable, but the bed was the best! We didn't win big in the casino, but the room was a big hit. All of the staff from the front desk, the restaurants, and casino were accommodating and polite.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ritzville, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Another wonderful pleasant stay! Staff and the beds made the best impression. Also the casino was another winner. My fiancee won big twice and once he even got his picture taken. Very pet friendly although they wouldn't let us smoke in the room, we had a balcony that we could use. We will defiantly revisit!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sun Valley, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Outside of smelly hallways with slight carryover into the rooms, we were OK with our choice of hotel...
until 5:45 a.m. when the three 'guests' in the adjacent room started playing loud Mexican music and having lively dialogues. Apparently they were construction workers, left by 6:10 but it was impossible for my wife and I to go back to sleep...so much for a good night's rest.

If the management of Red Lion is unwilling or unable to prevent this kind of behavior by boorish guests, they don't deserve the patronage of guests such as us. My suggestion is some kind of segregation by hotel floor or building based on worker vs tourist status, or anticipated time of arousal in the morning, or avoiding using adjacent rooms for guests unless absolutely full up.
Needless to say we will never consider staying there again without sworn commitment by management to prevent noise pollution from fellow guests.

It is interesting to note that the management continues to promise improvement in various areas of previous complaints...but no evidence that these promises are being kept. Sincere promises are no substitute for real change.

Room Tip: If you must stay at Red Lion, insist on a room WITHOUT guests on either side of your room. Unless f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the noisy neighbors that woke you early in the morning. Unfortunately, we cannot always control the conduct of hotel guests, but we do not condone such activity. Had we been advised of this, our security department would have promptly followed up. We respect all guests and only want them to have a most memorable guest experience. This was clearly not the case during your stay, and I am very sorry about that. David R. Zornes, General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stopped in Elko, NV to break up the trip from Reno to Salt Lake City, and were pleasantly surprised by the Red Lion. Prices were reasonable (better than the Hilton Garden Inn close by), king room was large and clean, with a flat screen tv and granite counters in the bathroom, and the full 24 hour casino was friendly and inexpensive ($1 blackjack tables). We didn't eat in the hotel because there were lots of traveler's options nearby. We would stay there again if we had to make that lonely trip along Interstate 80.

Room Tip: We stayed on the back side of the hotel - the road is on the front side and might be noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I only stayed one night on a business trip, the Red Lion was recomended by an associate. The rooms are very clean, nicely decorated, quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The internet was fast and no connectivity problems.The hallway was being reconditioned on the floor where I stayed, assume it's part of the total remodeling. I'm not a gambler so didn't use the casino but did eat dinner at the buffet. The food and price was very good considering it was a buffet, they also have a finer dining restaurant that looked nice. The only downside was the smoke in the casino that adjoins the dining areas. The big plus was the onsite Starbucks! I enjoyed the stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
I’m happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the process of adding new wallpaper and new carpet to our hotel hallways and can’t wait to see the final look when it is all completed. Hope we’ll see you as a return guest very soon. Thanks for your comments. David R. Zornes, General Manager
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed only one night because I they were usually booked, and I needed to book hotels night by night. If you like dark, smokey casinos, the it was great. You have to go though or into the casino to do anything, but that's how they make money I suppose. I ate at the Aspen Restaurant, and it was really good, stopped at the Starbucks inside the casino, and stayed overnight. The room was nice, well appointed, comfortable bed, clean, nice toiletries, fast connection, big TV with lots of channels...I would stay there again if the price was right. The service was good, great workout room as well, lots of machines and weights. Elko is surprisingly expensive though, and this was no exception.

This would be good for a business traveler, couples or solo. I'm not a fan of gambling, so I don't think it's appropriate for kids.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are quieter because the parking lot is right next to the windows of the l...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Really nice to read your review and glad to hear you enjoyed your room, our Aspens Restaurant, and our Starbucks®. Thanks so much, and we hope to see you again! David Zornes, General Manager.

Been to Red Lion Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!