“Overpriced and underwhelming” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bar, Bistro, Wine Bar
Orovada, NV
“Overpriced and underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were at Machi's for dinner last night. We had tried to go before, but there was always a long wait for a table. We thought that it was a good sign. The service was good! I ordered the prime rib off the bone, and my guy had linguini in clam sauce. The meals came with a salad that was all lettuce, except for two thinly sliced mealy tomatoes and some thin sliced red onions. The house garlic dressing was slightly fishy-tasting, and my blue cheese dressing was bland. The prime rib looked beautiful, but it had this salty, manufactured, beef-brothy tasting au jus ladled over it that put me off entirely.The vegetable medley was crisp, but was floating in that store-bought au-jus. Also, the meat, although easy to cut, was tough to chew. My guy's linguini had plenty of clams,but they were so tiny and floating in a weak tasting, watery-sauce with garlic pieces that tasted like their garlic came from a jar. We did not enjoy this meal, and will not return.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Elko
“Favorite for Lunch, but love the dinners too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

One of my favorite places for lunch or dinner with friends. I have at least four special lunches I order and a variety of dinners that are delicious. All the dishes are excellent.

Visited November 2012
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great lunch/supper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Nice place, big bar area. Good food, large menu (especially for lunch). Place gets packed for lunch.

Visited November 2012
Reno, Nevada
“Not My Favorite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Have eaten there a half a dozen times, and have never left feelling full. Maybe I'm ordering the wrong things. The flavors are mediocre at best. The only reason it gets an average is because of the outstanding cheesecake. If I must go back, that is all I will order for lunch.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
streator, Illinois
“Good Lunch Stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were passing through Elko on our way to Reno and checked tripadvisor to get some ideas for lunch. We looked at a couple of menus at top rated restaurants in the downtown area and decided on Machi's because there were a lot of local people entering the restaurant.

Machi's was busy at lunch and is a rather small restaurant. Service was excellent and the food was very good. The hostess was very friendly and offered suggestions for entree choices. We ordered Chicken Parmesean that was excellent. I like the fact that it wasn't breaded and fried. We also ordered a lunch combo of soup and sandwich that was also very good. To us, the bread is an important part of the sandwich and this bread was excellent. Both selections were of good size.

The place has a good vibe and is trendy. We enjoyed looking at the photos that were displayed on the walls.

The only negative was that we were seated at a very small booth that seats two. It really is too small. However, as we were seated, we were also offered a table, and we chose the little booth. They really should try to make the booths a little larger.

If we were traveling through the area, we would stop again.

• Visited September 2012