“Good Value for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Tahoe Biltmore Lodge
5 State Route 28, Crystal Bay, NV 89402   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Crystal Bay
Pleasanton, California
“Good Value for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

I have recently stayed at this hotel and we didn't have any reservations, we just walked in and got a good price of $ 75 / Night. The rooms are clean but basic, honestly you can't expect more for $ 75.- We also ate at the hotel's cafe and the prices were reasonable. The food was ok. I would recommend this place to people looking for a budget place in Tahoe Area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

Prices on this lodge is entirely dependent on occupancy rate so when we spent a mid-week night before the christmas weekend, we paid $45. Based on the price, the lodge is a good quality and good value. The rooms were clean and spacious and even had a small table with 2 chairs. The bathroom was not fancy of course but clean for my needs.
I've read that rooms in the main building (in the casino) are better than the other choices. I have to say that we were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rooms in the casino. For around $50/night, the rooms are a good value. Take a look at a few photos I took for proof.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
nonya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

the person who answered the phone said he was the "manager" and said hes the only one at the desk and the only one who answers the phone. i said "soooo, you run the whole hotel by your self"? he was already angry because i was asking why the rooms were 20 dollars more than he said they were a few days prior. and when i asked that, he said, i dont have time for this, you are wasting my time and i have a lot of people in front of me, and while he was explaining how the non smoking rooms don't have roll aways, (which i could care less) i was asking why he was explaining that when i was asking about something else, his communication skills were horrible, he was impatient, obviously his customers are worthy of a few minutes on the phone, anyways he let out a big sighhh and said, omg let me explain it again! then in a condescending voice started speaking really loud and slow like i was 2. i said this is totally unacceptable, and he said well you are wasting my time and it seems you don't understand things so why dont you hang up, figure it out and call me back. he hung up on me. when i called back i told him he was rude, unprofessional (he was cutting me off the whole time i was talking) and that i would tell all my friends not to book at his hotel (me and a bunch of my friends were going for my 30th bday) and he said i don't care! i don't need your business or theirs! and then he hung up on me...again. and after reading the review about the saggy mattresses and greasy floor and nasty toilet im soooo glad i didnt pay 80 dollars for that "cottage" aka piece of crap excuse for a room!!! biltmore blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed January 2010
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We knew we were in trouble when we drove around to our "cottage", which was nothing more than a motel-type set up. We walked up the sorry looking stair case to our room and braced ourselves for the worst. It was a good thing we were prepared to be disappointed because we certainly were. The bed mattresses were saggy, the carpet had a greasy appearance and don't get me started on the paper-thin walls or the toilet. We checked out within 10 mins and went elsewhere. The desk clerk didn't seem to be surprised we were leaving and didn't ask why we were leaving either. We came to Tahoe for a conference and learned most of the conference attendees checked out of the Biltmore about as quickly as we did. Those that did brave one night checked out the next morning. Should we get the opportunity to return to Lake Tahoe, we will avoid the Biltmore like the plague.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

The Biltmore is a very old hotel, the floors feel uneven and they creak - but that's what makes it kind of fun. I swear when I got off the elevator I thought I was in the hotel from "The Shining" - so if that kind of era appeals to you, the Biltmore is for you. This isn't the Ritz Carlton, but it doesn't claim to be either. The most important thing to me is that the rooms are clean. The bathrooms (in the hotel) seem to have been recently remodeled. The WiFi was fast and easy to connect to. Note that I've only stayed in the hotel so I cannot speak to the cottages. The pricing is perfect - there are plenty of $20-$30 motels in the area where you're gonna get what you'd expect, and there are also $100+ rooms available in Incline Village and Truckee, so the Biltmore is 'just right' at ~$50 per night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

We live near the Lake, but needed a cheap place to stay when we wanted to see a show at the Crystal Bay Club and didn't want to drive after. It's very run down, but not dirty. You can't expect luxury for $50 near the lake, so it was fine for the night. You get what you pay for and it served our purpose. If you want a really nice condo for about $200-$300/night stay at Brockway Springs - that place is nice!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

Dealing with reservations both on the phone and in person had to be the worst "customer service" we've ever experienced. The first room we viewed had mysterious stains on the white comforter, the toilet would not stop running nor was the tank filling with water allowing it to flush, and the ironing board and room towels were left outside the entrance on the stair rail. When we asked the receptionist and manager to see another room they giggled amongst themselves. The second room was on the top floor with no air conditioning...but did have two floor fans and a ceiling fan to help in 90 degree weather! This room had a door that opened to the rooftop area of which all rooms along that corridor had access to without time or smoking limitations, the manual-crank window facing the rooftop party area was broken. More giggling from staff. The third and final room had an adjoining room with an alarm clock continously beeping, and the people staying in the room upstairs were extremely loud. Could not stay at this hotel. Would not recommend decent, clean people to stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing good about this hotel.
  • Disliked — Disgusting rooms, wasn't about to sit down on anything.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tahoe Biltmore Lodge? Share your experiences!