“Anual New Year's Family Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Tahoe Biltmore Lodge
5 State Route 28, Crystal Bay, NV 89402   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Crystal Bay
San Jose, California
“Anual New Year's Family Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We travel to NShore Lake Tahoe every year give or take a couple over the past 15 - 20 years. We have stayed everywhere and one of our favorites is the Biltmore. The Hotel is older so one has to understand the imperfections. The cabins are clean and provide you with the necessities. You would benefit to bring along a cooler and snacks as the ice machine and vending machines are inside the hotel, Extra blankets may be a good idea too. The Biltmore Staff is very nice and attentive, Housekeeping is very helpful and willing to assist with extra towels, shampoo... Casino is not too big and has most gaming tables one desires, We enjoy Craps, Blackjack, Parlay and Wheel of Fortune the most and have won many many times! We did not have the best experience in their resturant not sure if it is just growing pains but we would advise going to the coffee shop as you get better faster services witht he same quality of food. Overall we always enjoy ourselves here and the rates are reasonable and the reservation staff is willing to assist in anyway they can. Dog friendly which is very NICE! We recommend it to those who want to get away and your event does not require special high end or extream aminities.

Room Tip: Very dog friendly and there arr areas close by to run and play with your pets
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Elverta, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have stayed here many times over the past 12 years. Located on the North Shore of Beautiful Lake Tahoe. We always get a room on the third floor of the hotel which gives us access to a large shared balcony that overlooks Lake Tahoe and the mountains. The hotel also has fully furnished cabins that they rent also. It has an outdoor pool and a hot tub. Very relaxing stay. Peaceful and clean.Lots of parking. Great staff. We stay here for business and pleasure and are always looking forward to our next visit. Close to skiing, snowmobiling, and hiking. Shopping is close by. Very close to the California/Nevada border. You can see and read the Welcome to California Border sign clearly. Small gambling venue of 3 open casinos in immediate area. Approximately 30 to 40 minutes from South Shore of Lake Tahoe or Reno. This is an old time hotel/casino that does its best to make your stay comfortable. There is 2 restaurants on the premises and lots of dining and stores in the towns close by.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms on south side are suite types and have access to the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Had to get a hotel for a wedding and didn't have many choices due to other activities in the area. Ended up here despite the other bad reviews. Checked in after the wedding, so it was quite late and went straight to bed. In the light of day I saw how bad the room quality was. There were holes and rips in the foam blanket on the bed, the TV was crazy old and the carpet was filthy and wrinkled from loosening over the years. The $100 price tag was a complete rip off. The staff was fine, but I barely interacted with them except to check in/out. However, the room and bathroom were clean, except for the carpet stains, which is why I gave it a poor rating rather than terrible.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Crystal Bay hotels

Minden, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Tahoe Biltmore is a bit out dated but they try their best to accommodate everyone. The bars are fun and the cafe has good breakfast. We ate at the new BBQ restaurant has good food but everything has the same smoked flavor. It's a good inexpensive place to hang out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Johnston Atoll
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

You might get a night's sleep here. If you are a writer, you will certainly get a lot of stories from the characters milling about the joint. Come on a Saturday and you will get an earful and an eyeful. We were part of a group of eleven, took a look at our rooms in the alleged cottages, and promptly high tailed it over to Cal-Neva. The local business owner who booked the room for us later told us they didn't know how bad the cottages were (uh-huh). PLEASE do yourself a favor and just remember that if you pay $120 or more for a room in this area, you will be sleeping in a place that hasn't been deep cleaned or updated since 1938, and from the looks of it, people who probably are carrying some pretty bad cases of crabs. Of course they'll let you bring your dog! Who else will they get for customers except dogs and drunks? The hotel guests mostly look like 21 year olds looking for a night of 'fun' i.e., get drunk, blow all the cash and get laid. If you are a real adult with a family, go somewhere restful.

BTW front desk 'girl' - and she was a girl - started shaking and getting angry when she couldn't understand some simple math problems someone in our group tried to discuss. We are pretty intelligent, but clearly the people manning the front desk need support here. We left because of their incompetence; we were willing to stay in a hotel room but not a cottage room. We hope the wrecking ball or a real contractor helps those cottages out soon. They aren't cottages - they are old motel rooms with no air conditioning.

Room Tip: Ask for air conditioning!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had been going to Tahoe Biltmore for years, though the place is getting a bit run down they usually had cheap room rates. I had seen the negative reviews here but never had to deal with their terrible customer service before. Unfortunately, my last experience has been an utterly terrible one.

Upon check out, they added a $300 dollar damage on my debit card. Of course the person doing the check out did not know anything about the charge but I could leave my number and have a manager call me back. At this point, I had expected a manager or someone who knew about the charge to call me back the same day. After not getting any call back after leaving my number, I am forced to dispute the charge with my bank. I even called the next day and left another message with a supposed manager. Again, no call back about this charge. I implore anyone who is considering staying at the Tahoe Biltmore to consider any other accommodation. Even though you may be tempted by the low price, watch out. I am dealing with the pain of disputing this $300 dollar charge and sorely regret ever have stayed here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My parents live in Incline Village, but if they're house is busy with guests I'll stay at a cabin at the Biltmore and I've always loved it. Old, yes. Fancy, no. But I've had fun every time I stay in Crystal Bay. I know there has been a lot of talk about remodeling the Biltmore and hopefully Cal-Neva and Crystal Bay Club as well, that would be great for the North Shore.
My only bad experience at the Biltmore was with a pit boss who accused my brother of cheating at roulette, claiming he moved his chips after the ball stopped. The dealer said he had not touched them, but the pit boss ordered her to pay out the smaller sum. I got in a shouting match with him, defending my brother. The dealer paid out the larger amout, believing he had not cheated. My brother tipped the dealer that amount and we got up and cashed out. I wish I'd have filed a formal complaint with the casino about the incident. I do like the casino there and still visit when I'm in Tahoe, the staff is usually very friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tahoe Biltmore Lodge? Share your experiences!