“Seriously Disappointed and Trying to Save Others” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cal-Neva Resort Spa and Casino

Save Saved
You added Cal-Neva Resort Spa and Casino to your Saves list
Cal-Neva Resort Spa and Casino
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   2 Stateline Road, (Currently closed for renovations), Crystal Bay, NV 89402   |
Seattle, Washington
“Seriously Disappointed and Trying to Save Others”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I want to start by saying that it takes a lot for me to take the time to fill out a review such as this and feel that something needs to be done to resolve this situation. I did fill out the automatic customer response sheet that came via email.

My husband and I rarely take a vacation without our children. I took quite some time to research a place to stay. I knew that what we could afford would probably be in the 3-4 star range. Upon arriving the Cal-Neva resort, I was seriously disappointed and do not feel this is a resort that should be on your list of potential vacation options.

There were two main things that I was looking for on this vacation: one I wanted good bedding and two I wanted a swimming pool. When we checked in we were told the pool was closed and had been for a year. I was told by the person checking me in, that Expedia hadn't updated their pictures and that management had been asking them to do so as this happens all of the time. They offered a beach umbrella and chair for the closest beach. This beach was extremely small and it was extremely difficult to find a place amongst the people to be able to set up a chair.
The bedding in the pictures was absolutely not what was in the room. The room had molding missing from about 1/2 of the room. The wallpaper was peeling up from several points. I had paid more for a premier room, with a king bed and a lake view. You could not look right out the window and see the view. You had to stand on the far right side and look out. The actual view was of an empty pool and an incomplete roofing project. The carpet in the hall way was filthy and needed replacing quite some time ago. The elevator had putty on the walls and was definitely run down. There were the same finger prints on the sliding glass doors the entire trip at the end of the hall way. When you get off of the elevator on level 4, the first thing you see is an arm chair with the stuffing coming out because it is so worn down.

The spa had flowery coaches from probably the early 80s. To say this place is run down, is an understatement. There are dormers in the entrance that have been boarded up. The grounds appear pretty much empty and the other people staying there were a series of fast pitch softball teams. So the noise levels in the rooms were very loud both through the walls and up and down the hallways at all hours. Lake Tahoe is such a gem. We just did our best to make it a memorable trip and avoided where we were staying except to sleep.

I did make a deal about the swimming pool being in the pictures on Expedia and checked upon returning home and they have been removed. However, when I talked to the front desk about the concern his only response (which I felt had become pretty automatic) was if I wanted to find somewhere else to stay, he would let Expedia know. I did go up to the room and tried to see about other options, however, we could not find other options at that part of the lake at that late moment. We ever drove around and looked for other places but vacancy was full. Even the condos in the area had been filled a long time before.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sanford, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

How to put this so that you will not this that I am just dumping on this place.
If this hotel were an animal by now someone would have called the SPCA on its owners.
We do not abandon poor defenseless animals and we should not abandon this fine landmark of the Lake Tahoe area but right now this is a great place to visit for a little to see the place but stay somewhere else until the $30,000,000 renovation the new owners plan on completing is finished.
I am not squeamish and have a high tolerance for imperfection in a hotel if it is priced accordingly with its state. That said I have stayed at nicer Motel 6, and Super 8 hotels for less money and nicer rooms.
I booked a Chalet (one of the bungalows) and when I told the hotel staff they were like “they are renting those?”
The bungalows are incredibly cute and charming with a ton of style, over look the lake and look just like they should for structures that were owned by Frank Sinatra in 1960. And they were most likely not touched since.
Ok that is harsh but not too far off the mark. From the looks of the materials used the last renovation to the property was back the 80’s sometime and this property has a lot of deferred maintenance.
It was explained to us by one hotel employee that the hotel until just two weeks before (mid may 2013) the hotel had been in bankruptcy and run in receivership and that the bank that owned the property refused to put any money into the property unless required to by law.
There is no casino in the hotel all live gaming tables and real honest to god slot machines are gone. The game area has video games and pinball machines and the gambling is on video poker machines that when we were there half were broke.
The bar an active area in any hotel was empty except for 4 people two of which were my friend and I.
The gift shop is not open for business you have to ask someone at the front desk to open it for you if you want to buy something but don’t bother they don’t have anything worth buying.
So to sum up, great history, great potential, very poor execution. See my photos to see the repairs needed.
Shoot me a message as well because I would love to go back one day and stay again if this gem could be polished up and restored to its former glory. But I will never return to this place as it is.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Price was right and the view was great. The room was clean but there was lots of deferred maintenance that needs to be addressed. I wouldn't call this place a resort either because of the lack of typical resort amenities. The in-room entertainment was limited to an enhanced cable package with no channel guide services. I didn't see any room service offered and the lack of bell and concieairge services gave the feeling of a motel and not a resort.

I'm not a gambler and we only stayed in the hotel to sleep and breakfast on our last morning so it served our needs. We knew about the reputation when we booked the room so we weren't disappointed by what we got.

Room Tip: Get a high floor (4+) for the best view and ensure that you get a high number room. We stayed in 70...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

OK this is definitely a case of the good, the bad and the ugly!

The Good - EXCELLENT view from a high floor facing the Lake Tahoe.
That's it for the good......

The Bad - To get the BEST lake view - open the window because they are sooooooo dirty.
The furniture ALL needs to be burned for firewood - just beat to heck and had seen
better days back in the 70's!
Every bit of this property has been neglected. I could go on for some time but you
get the idea.

The Ugly - There is virtually no casino. Well to be more accurate - it's ONLY a virtual casino.
It is EXTREMELY small, a few slot machines that were shut at midnight. I am NOT
making that up and the Blackjack machine and craps machine had zero people
playing either at night or the next morning.

Don't expect water in the pool BUT the shell was there, much like EVERYTHING
else at Cal-Neva Resort !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

hotel staffs are not well trained and not friendly.
hetel bed is is in bad shape. It is somehow tilted and felt like slipping down.
breakfast buffet is really bad and difficult to chew.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
rocklin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I don't know where to start. I booked this on a travel website for $144, only to discover the hotel's rate was $81 (nothing they could do, and the front desk agent looked astonished when I told him how much I paid). Honestly, I wouldn't pay $1 to stay again. The hotel is in desperate need of a renovation; not just because it is outdated, but, it is a serious health hazard as well (see pictures). The room has a stench that varies from urine to a musty smell. The bathroom floor and bath tub had black hairs when I first walked in. The ceiling had obvious leaks that were never repaired, and there was an odd orange stain on the wall. We were late to meet friends, so we dropped our bags and left. We woke up the next morning, bugs in the soap dish, tub, and what looks like black mold and a partial attempt to repair major water damage under the windows and the wallpaper was crinkled and bubbled. I have never seen anything like this and was astonished. I was scared about possible black mold and told the front desk upon check out. She called housekeeping regarding the bugs and her response to my comment about ripped out molding and possible black mold, was simply that they are renovating soon. Oh, and, the pool was completely drained with no advanced warning during the reservation process.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hayward, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The "Lady of the Lake" has slipped; but they are taking very good care of her until the upcoming 30 million renovation takes place this fall. The staff was very accommodating and polite. Our room was very clean and everything was in working order and most of all the unobstructed view of the lake from our 8th floor room looking west was unbelievable. We feel that if one can look beyond the "Lady" being tired and know she is going come roaring back will have a great time here at the Calneva.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor(7-9) facing west.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cal-Neva Resort Spa and Casino? Share your experiences!