“don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Carson City
Las Vegas, Nevada
“don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked a room here for 2 nights through Expedia (and I will never use Expedia again). The rate was for 29.99 a night...........I called the hotel (not a hotel by any means, but a motel, and a crappy one at that) to verify with them that pets are ok and that there aren't any additional pet fees (prior to booking the room through Expedia)....and pets were ok and there were no additional fees for pets. When I arrived to check in the desk clerk told me only 2 rooms are used for pets, and they are on the first floor , and the rooms on the first floor are at a higher rate of 39.99 a night............and as I was tired I didn't argue- I wanted to rest. I also asked for a nonsmoking room and they said the room was nonsmoking yet it had a strong odor of cigarette smoke in it- enough to give me a headache. I went to the desk to request a different room and of course wasn't given one as there are only 2 rooms designated for pets here and so I wanted to cancel my reservation for tomorrow night then and was told by another desk clerk that I had to contact Expedia to cancel. So I called Expedia and they gave me the runaround also saying I had to check out first before they issue a cancellation..............I never heard of such stupidity. I want a refund before I leave here, and not have to come back later to get it........how ridiculous!

Room Tip: find someplace else to stay
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel 4 times since 2010, and each stay has been pleasant. The property is quiet. Have never been disturbed by noisy guests. The rooms are clean and well maintained. Rates are generally around $40 a night. Close to downtown, casinos and even a grocery store across the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have been here twice, 2009 and 2011, both stays were ok. The place has it's own charm. Sure it's not fancy and rooms are different. TVs, beds, etc. are bit old, but they work. Front side first floor is ok. I did't like the second floor room that much.

At least on 2011 the lady handled our late arrival without reservation well.

I'm not sure if I would take children with me. But friends on budget? Sure.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Checked orbitz and it had cheap rooms ($49) so we checked in. Rooms were surprisingly nice and clean. Would recommend it if you're just there to gamble

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd floor. People upstairs sound like elephants.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

This Hotel is not very well maintained. Carson City is not very big, any of the hotels could be considered a good location. Other Hotels at a similar price would be a better choice. I got a higher price quote when I called the Hotel direct. I got a better price through Expedia. I was in a non-smoking room that smelled like cigerette smoke. Bathroom is Motor Home small. Refergerator had let overs from a previous customer. The bed pillows are as hard as you could ever imagine.

Neighborhood recommendations: Since Carson City is not a big city, any of the Hotels in Carson City are relatively close to all you would want to see. The area around the Fandango Casino seemed like the newest, but all the Carso City Hotel locations are ok.

Dining: The Buffet in the Fandango Casino id great. They usually have a low promotional price during the week.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

We are in our 60's and frequently travel and stay in Nevada, especially Carson City. We recently spent two separate nights, about four days apart at this motel. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms and with the courteous staff of Marlene and Jody. We have used three other downtown motels in the past and will be staying here in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Wonderful place to stay. Very clean and the location is great. The staff is very courteous and would recommend this hotel to anyone. All in all, amazing.

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Nugget Hotel by Carefree Inns? Share your experiences!