“Creative Thai Cuisine” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 165 Restaurants in Carson City
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Los Altos, CA
“Creative Thai Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Perfect experience in every aspect...food, atmosphere, and the service! We live at Lake Tahoe, NV and were doing errands in Carson City when we stumbled upon the best Thai food ever. Head to the historic downtown part of Carson City where you will find parking off the main road. We started our meal ordering the Coconut Soup filled with straw mushrooms, chicken and other nicely blended flavors. The soup was superb! I really enjoy curry dishes so I ordered the Green Curry after asking the owner which one he recommended. It was filled with a mixture of vegetables and chicken with the right amount of spice. I asked for additional spice, #2 on a scale of 5. It was perfect! Lots of veggies, the right amount of spice and so yummy flavorful!
My husband enjoyed the Laab salad and tasted the various spices placed on the table. The waiter kindly explained each of the spices and which one was typically eaten with Laab or Larb.
It's no secret why The Basil has been in business for over 11 years... Delicious food, enjoyable & pleasant staff, and a relaxed and warm atmosphere. We found a new favorite restaurant!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Seattle, Washington
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Two weeks ago we visited Carson City and was recommended by our hotel to The Basil. One of the best Thai cuisine we had in a long time. The owners (Nan-main chef- and Bob) were very gracious and accommodating to our restricted diet. We had the vegetable dish with the eggplant and green curry. Highly recommend this place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A very nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife and two boys visited Basil in early July on a Saturday. We got there as soon as they opened so it was not busy at all. It is a nice place, comfortable and relaxed. The staff was kind and very helpful and helped us make our menu selections. My son had the topless seafood, which was really good and I would get it if I came back. My wife had the Hawaiian Fried Rice, which was also very good but a bit on the sweet side. It was served in a hollowed out pineapple shell that was fabulous! I had the spicy basil noodles which were really good but not very spicy and, as I mentioned before, not as good as the topless seafood. My other son had the thai teriyaki chicken which was also very good but a little boring compared to the other dishes. After our dinner, the owner/chef (Nan) came out and spoke with us for a few minutes and told us about her life and the history of the restaurant. She was very nice and we really enjoyed our visit!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ventura, California
“Good food but dish not as described on menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here several times on trips over the years and always been impressed. This time I was somewhat disappointed. We enjoyed the curry puffs as our appetizer - so yummy and not very many Thai restaurants seem to offer them. My disappointment was with the entree I ordered - Alaskan King Crab and Jumbo Shrimp Curry. I expected it to have only those 2 types of shellfish in it because the menu description did not include any other types of seafood. My dish included scallops, calamari and mussels. The shrimp were definitely not jumbo, only medium at best. The dish was not impressive, especially at 24.95! Next time I will stick to yellow curry.

Visited June 2014
Boulder, Colorado
“The Basil - sublime Thai in Carson City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Wandered in here after a dusty morning outside of Carson City looking for some light yet filling fare. As in, we were hungry, but not for a big burger and fries or some such. The Basil was a revelation - really. Where do these folks come from? How do they end up n Carson City, NV? However it came to pass, I'm glad they are here. We had Pad See Eew noodles, Yellow curry and Green Garden. Blew the three of us away. Not only for the surprise factor, but simply because the spices were subtle yet rich and rewarding and the broth in the curry was among the best I've ever had. If you are in the vicinity of Carson City, and if you are looking for Thai food that would hold its own in any of the big cities of our fair nation, I highly recommend The Basil. Service was very friendly.

• Visited June 2014