“The BEST Chicken Fried Steak on Earth!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 164 Restaurants in Carson City
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reno, NV
“The BEST Chicken Fried Steak on Earth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I haven't eaten here in over a year, so this weekend turned out to be a great time to come back here. It's my BF's birthday, so after receiving his good morning surprise, what better way to continue a morning then with breakfast at the Villa Basque Deli! This I will have to say is the best breakfast place in Carson City. There are many options here for breakfast ranging from breakfast burritos slathered in gravy to omelets and the star of the menu, my opinion anyway, is the chicken fried steak.

As we enter, its a seat yourself situation, so just grab wherever you like. Some of the servers have been here for decades. This seems to be quite the Carson City social gathering spot. Everybody seems to know everybody and hellos are passed between tables. Service is quick and efficient. The chicken fried steak ($9.50) comes with choice of potato, toast and eggs. We both ordered the same. Upon first bite, its OMG! (eyes rolling) YES, this is what I remember of the taste! That gravy is off the planet good! The hashbrowns came slathered in gravy too. As a bonus, the gravy has bits of house made chorizo in to too!. We both finished our plates, and that was about the limit of food I could stuff into me for breakfast. You need to come here if you are ever in Carson City and try the chicken fried steak. Now we'll go back to his house and rest with full stomachs.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Arlington, Tennessee
“Rico!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Breakfast or lunch you will find great taste. My favorite is anything with Pete's hot link churizo, eggs and churizo or a salad and churizo. Best fresh orange juice in town! This is a small family owned deli with an international flair. You can find tea, olive oil besides churizo to take home with you.

Visited September 2012
Carson City, Nevada
“Hit or Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I'm just not as excited about this place as some of the other reviewers. I do like their lamb sandwich and the mexican offerings are pretty good. I especially like their fresh sausage that you can buy for home. But I find a lack of consistency in the food and the service.

Visited September 2012
Arlington, Massachusetts
“A must-visit while in Carson City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

All the rave reviews are true. This is a must-visit for Carson City.

Our server was terrific, really helpful, humoring us as we took our time deciding what to order. She brought us a sample of chorizo on bread, which was delicious. I ordered the lamb dip sandwich with rich broth for dipping, and a little bowl of Basque beans, a bit like chili with meat in a yummy sauce, though not spicy. Portions are enormous.

You can buy the chorizo to take home - fresh or frozen. We were staying with family in town, so I bought a pound of fresh chorizo to grill for an appetizer for a family dinner, and it was a hit. "What is this and where did you get it?" asked the locals, and we were happy to tell them.

There's also a whole wall of goodies to shop - olive oils, vinegars, teas... but this place really is all about the chorizo, perfectly seasoned, not greasy. I wish I'd bought a frozen brick of chorizo to stash in my carry-on the day we flew home.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
California
“Regional cuisine, and fast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

If you like to sample the regional cuisine when you travel, don't miss a chance to eat delicious and authentic Basque food in Carson City - Basque roots run deep in the local history. I was just passing through in a hurry, and was pleased to find that Villa Basque is very near the College Parkway freeway entrance. I ordered the Basque chorizo sandwich with Ortega chiles and was impressed by how quickly they could split, grill and serve it; and it was very tasty -- mildly spicy, and not greasy at all. The green salad that came with it was standard cheap iceberg-redcabbage-carrot mix but the house dressing served on the side - olive oil and red wine vinegar - was simply delectable; I wound up dipping my sandwich in it. It made a big meal, too; my only regret was that I didn't have anyone along to share it!

• Visited July 2012