“Dirty Dirty Dirty!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Carson City
Logan, Utah
“Dirty Dirty Dirty!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

I stayed here with my children for a cheerleading competition. It is BY FAR the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. I would warn anyone thinking about staying there to stay elsewhere. I was disgusted and felt the need to take a shower just from being there. I went to use the coffee machine to heat water and make hot cocoa and sludge came out. Had I been making coffee in it, I would have never seen the dark colored sludge. I looked in the tank in the back and it was covered in mildew and mold. It was disgusting. Do not stay here. The room was dirt. The blanket had cigaret burns in it, the night stand had a used tissue and a lid to a ballpoint pen that was chewed up. This made me feel as if the room was never truly cleaned. Terrible !

Stayed February 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
norwalk ct
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

Just left the Gold Dust in Carson and will say that on the outside the hotel looks nice; it has a casino and an RV park. However on the inside it goes down hill fast. I see some nice reviews for this place on the web, and have to wonder if there are two Gold Dust hotels in Carson!

I stayed in a supposedly smoke-free room on the first floor. No microwave or fridge, standard tv, no cable, no dvd/vcr, but did have an iron.

First thing you notice is this weird smell. Its like old cigarettes and mold. Carpet looks like cheesy Vegas from the 70s. Suspect that's where the smell came from.
Then I noticed hairs in the bedsheets- not from me.

Bathtub had been washed, but barely. Even in the crappy lighting you could see the dinginess. Again, hair on the shower curtain. Towels were questionable so I did not use them, glad I had my own.

There's no room service but they do have a 24hr kitchen. Problem is- and this is the staple of the entire visit- you have to go through the smoke-choked casino air to get to it. And trust me the smoke doesnt care that the kitchen is there. There's a modest "business center" thats sectioned off by a thick glass partition- but HAS NO CEILING so the smoke just drifts on in.

Night was the worse. Although I stayed on the first floor, and the rooms were non-smoking, the crap just came in anyway. I stuck the unused towels by the door to block it. I opened the window (no screen, so beware) but at least the air was cleaner.

I will never stay at this place again. Save your money and stay elsewhere.

Yours,

• Liked — close location to where I needed to go
  • Disliked — cleanliness, lack of services
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

IMy colleagues stayed at he Gold Dust seven years ago and suggested we return. Tthe front desk staff were pleasant and efficient. Rooms were very spacious with desk area and comfortable reading chair, nice bed and linens. The bathroom was modern and roomy, with nice toiletries. There was the advantage of another sink and bar in the bedroom. I used the fitness center which has well-maintained equipment including treadmill, elliptical, recumbent bike, and a fairly large weight apparatus.

However, these positives did not outweigh the problems. Other reviewers mentioned the smoke. Apparently the fans designed to suck smoke away from the door from the casion (so smoke does not travel into the hotel area) are not always left on. In my non-smoking room on the first floor I awoke in the middle of the night coughing from the smoke. The front desk quickly moved me to the third floor in the morning, where there was no smell of smoke. However, there is only one elevator and it is at the opposite end from the rest of the facility, so if you cannot use stairs to access the fitness room, pool, front desk, casino, and restaurants, you will have a long walk. I ate dinner and breakfast at the coffee shop in the casino - food was good and staff were nice - but it too was so smoky that I ordered food and had to go pick it up on other days. (No room service is available.) There is no refrigerator in the room, although I didn't check if you could request one. For perspective, I travel frequently for business and typically stay in Residence Inn-style hotels, so that is the basis for my comparison.

Stayed August 2007
sacramento, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

This hotel exceded my expectations. The hotel was extremely well kept and roomier than I thought. We reserved a suite with 2 queen size beds, the room was extremely spacious and didn't smell of smoke like most hotels with a casino do. There is a steakhouse, a small diner and a bowling alley. The casino isn't very big at all but was fun to visit. Everyone was extremely nice with the exception of the desk clerk who rolled her eyes upon our arrival at the front counter (her shift must have been ending). Other than that, our stay was very nice. I would stay at the Gold Dust West again.

• Liked — The hotel was only minutes away from the capital and downtown carson city.
  • Disliked — The front desk hospitality.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lower Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

We stayed 2 nights & had a great time, location was easy to find. Hotel is quiet, clean, roomy & has a tub. The pool landscapeing is very nice, even has BBQ's for you to use, the pool is big & clean. The Spa was nice too. We did not see or hear any unruley guests. The view from the room was incredible. The front desk was also very helpful.

The food in the coffee shop is excellent & the employees who work there were so kind & helpful. Special treatment for Seniors.

We played at the casino & we even won! They even have comfy adjustible chairs. We look forward to coming back to the Best Western Pinon Plaza resort. We took a trip to Virginia City & had a good time, the Old West has lots to see, it was very easy to get to & not too far from the hotel.

• Liked — Quiet, Clean nice helpful people work there
  • Disliked — Beds hard
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Palmdale, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

There was good and bad about this hotel. The good was the beautiful desert view of mountains out our windows. The best thing was that they opened and we let in lots of fresh air. The weather in March is wonderful. We also enjoyed the cows and calfs outside our window in the morning. The coffee shop is excellent. Ate breakfast their two mornings and food was outstanding and coffee is delicious.
Those reasons are reason enough to stay here. Plus it is freeway close.

The only negatives was that we were a long way from the coffee shop and had to drive around cause my mom couldn't walk that far. Also, even though our floor was non-smoking, it smelled really smoky. And the staff weren't very knowledgable about directions. I was given wrong directions to a restaurant and they weren't sure about the freeway exit to the Reno airport.
The rooms were ok, the beds were pretty hard and the pillows were too small. The little toiletries in the bath were nice, Neutragena brand.

So thats my review. I would stay again for the mountain view and the big windows you can open to the fresh air. That and the coffee shop. :)

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Volcano, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2006

Wife and I stayed here with two adult daughters, and were given adjacent rooms with a connecting door. The rooms were on the second floor, as far from the lobby as possible. As a result, it was very quiet. Food in the coffee shop and restaurant was quite good. Rooms are comfortable and clean and modern, and the low price makes this place a great value.

Front desk staff is a bit short on warmth, but that is not a major problem. High speed internet was very handy.

This is our second stay, and we'll come back.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Gold Dust West Carson City? Share your experiences!